Hypothetical question regarding TruJo's salary...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
What's the holdup for an extension of TruJo's contract?

Here are the CB salaries for '16... [overthecap.com]

TruJo is the 5th highest, and only about $100k behind Revis sitting at #2.

From TruJo's pov, just how much more than $13.9 million does he think he's really worth?

And from the Rams pov, isn't $13 million or so the approx going rate for a top CB, given the trend in FA and with the Cap? I think so.

Tomorrow is the deadline. Why can't the two sides meet in the middle?

I have great faith in this staff's ability to find and develop CB's. But there is a helluva lot to be said for keeping a bird in the hand, too.

Perhaps the Rams want to see another productive season, preferably a healthy one, before they commit? Or they want to see how their bench depth looks like for '17 before they take the plunge?

Meanwhile, TruJo is risking millions should he suffer a big injury this year. That's high stakes poker, indeed.

I just think that a big encentive laden contract would make sense for both parties.

The clock is ticking...

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
My thoughts are that Tru takes the fact that the Rams tagged him over Jenkins as their way of saying they think Tru is better so he wants more than Jenkins, but the Rams tagged him over Jenkins thinking he would end up being cheaper. So im guessing Tru wants Jenkins money or more and Rams want to pay him less, but who knows

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I don't think there is a "hold up", per se. It takes two to tango. Given the massive contracts being handed out to high-level CBs, I doubt Tru wants to sign anything unless the offer is huge. In short, just like Jenkins last year, I think he is betting on himself and has no interest meeting in the middle as you suggest. I'm not expecting any deal to get signed.

This could obviously work out for the Rams just as well as it could for Johnson. Unlike Jenkins, Johnson has never been the #1 CB for a sustained period of time. He's also a tad injury prone. I'm still expecting a solid season for Johnson, but I would not be surprised if his form drops a bit from 2015-16, and his value on the market takes a slight dip. Either way, it will not be cheap to retain him.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Well he signed his tender pretty quickly, that is usually a sign that the money is better than any deal he could get on the open market if his tag was rescinded (like Normans was). A lot of players hold out for a long term deal. Tru didn't. That says something.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

Here are the CB salaries for '16... [overthecap.com]

TruJo is the 5th highest, and only about $100k behind Revis sitting at #2.

From TruJo's pov, just how much more than $13.9 million does he think he's really worth?

And from the Rams pov, isn't $13 million or so the approx going rate for a top CB, given the trend in FA and with the Cap? I think so.

Tomorrow is the deadline. Why can't the two sides meet in the middle?

I have great faith in this staff's ability to find and develop CB's. But there is a helluva lot to be said for keeping a bird in the hand, too.

Perhaps the Rams want to see another productive season, preferably a healthy one, before they commit? Or they want to see how their bench depth looks like for '17 before they take the plunge?

Meanwhile, TruJo is risking millions should he suffer a big injury this year. That's high stakes poker, indeed.

I just think that a big encentive laden contract would make sense for both parties.

The clock is ticking...
Like the players like to say " It always comes down to guaranteed Money!" that's probably the hold-up!;)

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

It's simple, Free Agency!!!

He's a top CB, he's very likely going to get overpaid as a FA because there is no way the Rams franchise him twice.

May as well get used to some positions having higher turnover than we used to see. And CB is one of those positions!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
It's simple, Free Agency!!!

He's a top CB, he's very likely going to get overpaid as a FA because there is no way the Rams franchise him twice.

May as well get used to some positions having higher turnover than we used to see. And CB is one of those positions!
That is where Snisher started when they first came in. JJ & Johnson were 2 of there top picks.

CJ Gaines was a excellent find, & now the O-line is set for years to come as well as QB position.TE & WR core just got addressed as well.

It only makes sense to let the arson play out before addressing Tru for that price.He has a connection with The Rams & staff. Now that The Rams are in LA I don't see him wanting to go anywhere else if everything is going right.A deal will get done when or if timing is right.
Tru Jihnson playing for a contract worked out well Kst season.Just hope he & The Rams play is playoff level .

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I really want TruJo to sign long term. Winning can play a big hand in that also, if the Rams make a playoff run and the future looks bright after '16, maybe he gives the Rams a home town discount to pursue a ring. The only way he could play closer to his hometown would be the bay, so Oakland may be a potential FA stop if things dont go well in LA.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
This is the new age. Every player that's average or above thinks they deserve a max contract and teams are desperate enough to hand them out in the end. I see no problem with players wanting to get paid but they shouldnt require a record-breaking deal each time.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Perhaps the Rams want to see another productive season, preferably a healthy one, before they commit?
Probably this...and I wouldn't like signing Tru to a 5 year $85 million dollar deal...Nope...go find 2 more new ones....keep the money in the DL & OLine....you can find wrs & dbs in any round that can play....

JRobinson

MiLB
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned that a deal didn't get done. I don't care what the reason(s), Tru will hit FA now; write it down.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
This is the new age. Every player that's average or above thinks they deserve a max contract and teams are desperate enough to hand them out in the end. I see no problem with players wanting to get paid but they shouldnt require a record-breaking deal each time.
Well The Rams gambled & lost. They could have signed both JJ & Tru for a discount of what they are receiving in 2016. They couldn't afford to lose both CB's,& had to pay Tru.
Now we will find out find out his True Value this season. The Rams are set to have a breakout year,& foundation has been set. --Still a year or 2 away from making a serious run.

tempests

Hall of Fame
If they have drawn a hypothetical line in the sand re: defensive backs, then I wonder if Fish and Snead aren't still feeling burnt by the Cortland Finnegan deal.

Yes, you can replace DBs at less than premium cost but the same is true of defensive lineman as well.