Hypothetical: How To Use Clowney?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Imagine you're Gregg Williams.

Put those thoughts of bounties out of your mind for a moment and focus, man! ;)

Anyway, we just drafted Clowney, and now you have 3 1st round picks at DE (2 #2 overall, and the one who wasn't probably looks the best right now of the three.) Typically, one only plays 2 DE's.

So how do you use all 3? Do you move one to DT or OLB? Do you trade someone? Do you do stunt defenses?

What do you do?

jjab360

Legend
Obviously Clowney would be the 3rd rotational DE as well as a factor in the DT rotation, but I also say we just go with 4 DE's almost every 3rd down. When you have DEs like Clowney and Hayes who are almost as strong as most DTs anyway, I don't see why not.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rotate. Use him as a pass rushing DT on passing downs.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I'm not sure that he wouldn't immediately supplant Chris Long as the starting left end - but as others have mentioned, he is plenty strong enough to kick inside. He is currently at or about 275 lbs (will be interesting to see his combine weigh in).

The D Line - unlike the O Line - rotates quite a bit so there are plenty of snaps for everyone and the unit stays that much fresher.

Plus, I think the other thing that is easily forgotten is that the draft isn't just about 2014. Clowney will be here in 2019. Can we say the same for Long? For Hayes?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'm excited drafting Clowney.

If the Rams do their homework and he passes... Dude could be a manimal!

The Rams Dline could be a holy terror!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Oh and how to use him?

Someone shifts inside.

Plenty of rotation.

He's a luxury pick for 2014... But it's about stockpiling the best players. Beyond 2014... Maybe not the luxury?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
How about put him on the field and tell him to hit Craper and Wilson any time he sees them. That includes walking down the street.;)

RAM$

UDFA
Clowney RDE Quinn stand up and come frome ROLB would be nasty, as would just putting Clowney at DT. I think if we get him Williams will get creative. Also I recall C. Long playing RDE a couple times last year, with Quinn on the inside I believe.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Clowney RDE Quinn stand up and come frome ROLB would be nasty, as would just putting Clowney at DT. I think if we get him Williams will get creative. Also I recall C. Long playing RDE a couple times last year, with Quinn on the inside I believe.

That is where he started with us. Unfortunately he plays better from the left.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I'm excited drafting Clowney.

If the Rams do their homework and he passes... Dude could be a manimal!

The Rams Dline could be a holy terror!

It could put us over the top. Then you get all these exotic blitzes on top of it? Man... can't pass on him if he's as good as they say.

Wilson/Kap = roadkill

psxpaul

Rookie
Name
Paul
Didn't Williams play Anthony Hargrove at DT with the Saints? He's listed at around 280.