Hypocritical Expectations for the New NFL Offenses

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Riddick needs to get with the program. He can complain all he wants but the NFL is not going back to what it was when he played during the early and mid 90's. For that to happen rules would have to be changed so that DB's can knock around receivers all they want and D-linemen can stomp QB's into the ground without penalties.

He's usually good and has solid insight and information. I like him.

He's right in this case.........the pass defense from both teams was just horrible. If Mahomes hadn't turned it over 5 times he would have broken the single game passing yards and TD records in the same game. And the Chiefs had wide open spaces for WR's to get into.

Neither team is going to go to the SB if they continue to play defense like that. Winning in the playoffs against the top teams and QB's leave too little room for error.

Then you get the idiots that say Goff is good because of the weapons he has.

That crap is coming to an end finally, and I for one and glad. It's taken him all of this year and last year to squash that bullshit but I think he finally did. Though I don't expect very many of the talking heads to say "I was wrong about Goff".

Nobody can make a legit case that he is a system QB, or it's his weapons. Weapons are only weapons with a QB that can accurately deliver the ball. Anyone with eyes can see Goff can deliver it as well as anyone in the league.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He's usually good and has solid insight and information. I like him.

He's right in this case.........the pass defense from both teams was just horrible. If Mahomes hadn't turned it over 5 times he would have broken the single game passing yards and TD records in the same game. And the Chiefs had wide open spaces for WR's to get into.

Neither team is going to go to the SB if they continue to play defense like that. Winning in the playoffs against the top teams and QB's leave too little room for error.
That's the problem, Les, nothing happens in a vacuum. Donald forced him to fumble twice, Mahomes didn't just do it himself. One of the two INT's, was caused by pressure on Mahomes (Pick to Peters). Hail Mary in the final seconds was a desperation throw. Mahomes will make gunslinger mistakes, like Favre used to, and it's part of his game.

Besides, tendencies by experts to say "If this does/doesn't happen, then this result will occur" is utter bullshyte reasoning by guys like Riddick. If one event is changed, it changes literally everything....reactions are different and counter reactions are different.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
That's the problem, Les, nothing happens in a vacuum. Donald forced him to fumble twice, Mahomes didn't just do it himself. One of the two INT's, was caused by pressure on Mahomes (Pick to Peters). Hail Mary in the final seconds was a desperation throw. Mahomes will make gunslinger mistakes, like Favre used to, and it's part of his game.

Besides, tendencies by experts to say "If this does/doesn't happen, then this result will occur" is utter bullshyte reasoning by guys like Riddick. If one event is changed, it changes literally everything....reactions are different and counter reactions are different.

I was more just agreeing with the writer who was taking about the pass defense. I know the TO's were forced, I was simply commenting that the pass defense was bad enough that if those hadn't happened it would have been ugly.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
The pass defense was awful. Half the time the safeties looked like they were stuck in sand. As MJD said, he thinks that will stop once Talib gets back, there's no leader in that secondary that makes me sure people are lined up correctly. I lost count how many times Christian looked lost or Joyner stood center field like a statue. They have plenty to work on this bye week hopefully they can tighten it up

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hold up, Riddick seems to be more of a turn-the-clock-forward guy rather than a back-in-my-day guy. He thinks more match coverage could help:

View: https://twitter.com/LRiddickESPN/status/1065248543961743361

Well, ok, he does believe in getting more physical with receivers:

On the Rams-Chiefs game, my bad for not posting Riddick's earlier tweets - his 2 main criticisms were: (1) The coverage schemes were way too basic; and (2) neither defense was trying to disguise anything pre-snap.

View: https://twitter.com/LRiddickESPN/status/1064994173126881280

View: https://twitter.com/LRiddickESPN/status/1064991586226970624

maybe both teams didn't want to show any ideas on the way they want to defend each other when the game really counts. no good putting anything on tape for the other team.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
The Rams, Chefs, and the Aints are the vanguards and changes will happen during the offseason in the attempt to imitate them. These teams will get HC's fired. They will pick young offensive minded coaches and try to find more talent to fit creative schemes, and most will fail trying to do it. This is exciting football fluff and fans are eating it up and it drives ratings. It also protects offensive players from head injuries, by hamstringing defensive guys who want to hit.

Tye Law recently explained what all of us knew...WR's are going across the middle without fear, unlike before the rule changes. WR's used to go back to their QB's and cuss them out for leaving them vulnerable to being killed by LBers. This was the LBer enforced "penalty" on the field for trying to do it. Now, offenses' are using that middle of the field and killing teams, while the LBers are essentially neutered.

McVay and others are taking advantage of rules like this, and the currently lower scoring teams, will attempt to imitate them...and most will fail, because coaches like McVay, Peyton and Reid don't come around often.

The first casualty of McVay is Mike McCarthy. Watch.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The first casualty of McVay is Mike McCarthy. Watch.

Packers fans will rejoice everywhere. Hell i wanted him fired after he single hardly lost the game for the packers against the seafucks in the nfc championship game by playing it safe for the whole second half when the packers were dominating. Fuckwit.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Yes, I watched it. Mack and the Bears D held Cousins to 262 yards with 2 interceptions and 20 points. It will be interesting to see how McVay deals with that Bears D.

The Vikings played well on defense too. It was that low scoring game everyone suddenly wants.