Hypocritical Expectations for the New NFL Offenses

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So let me get this straight. The NFL makes it hard to hit the QB's, hit the WR's over the middle...better be sure the WR see's "you," or it's hitting a defenseless receiver. Defensive players from the 60's, 70's,80's couldn't play today because the rules are so prohibitive to their games....

This is what the NFL wants.

Ok, so last night happened. Many are calling this the greatest game ever. So exciting and no dull periods, they say. It had all of the point scoring that anyone could want (more than 100 points). Thrilling

This morning when Power Rankings come out, the Saints are still number one and in quite of few polls had the Chiefs still at #2 (WTF?). I heard "Yes, the game was exciting, but what team gives up 51 points in the playoffs?...Especially with the Chefs uncharacteristically giving up so many penalties early, as well as turn overs and the Rams defense scoring too much" Ok this is a mixture of statements instead of an actual quote...but it captured the thoughts, the day after...

Whether its football purists like Eric Mangini, looking and sounding like he has a corn cob up his @ss while commenting about the lack of defense, or Stephen A. Smith.....YOU CAN'T HAVE 100 plus points (50 by each team) and expect to have great numbers by the defense. We had critical plays by our D., specifically by Aaron Donald, Ebukam, and even Peters, but they were just trying survive the storm. They think Mahomes had a better day, even though when it came down to crunch time, he choked out two drives with INT's. Meanwhile, Jared Freakin' Goff throws a clutch pass to Everett down the sideline for a 40 yard TD. Man, c'mon......................

It's like a guy having the most incredible sex ever with a prostitute and it blows his mind. Then the next morning acts strange around her because she's not good enough for Momma.....

James Otto

Starter
So let me get this straight. The NFL makes it hard to hit the QB's, hit the WR's over the middle...better be sure the WR see's "you," or it's hitting a defenseless receiver. Defensive players from the 60's, 70's,80's couldn't play today because the rules are so prohibitive to their games....

Ok, so last night happened. Many are calling this the greatest game ever. So exciting and no dull periods, they say. It had all of the point scoring that anyone could want (more than 100 points). Thrilling

This morning when Power Rankings come out, the Saints are still number one and in quite of few polls had the Chiefs still at #2 (WTF?). I heard "Yes, the game was exciting, but what team gives up 51 points in the playoffs?...Especially with the Chefs uncharacteristically giving up so many penalties early, as well as turn overs and the Rams defense scoring too much" Ok this is a mixture of statements instead of an actual quote...but it captured the thoughts, the day after...

Whether its football purists like Eric Mangini, looking and sounding like he has a corn cob up his @ss while commenting about the lack of defense, or Stephen A. Smith.....YOU CAN'T HAVE 100 plus points (50 by each team) and expect to have great numbers by the defense. We had critical plays by our D., specifically by Aaron Donald, Ebukam, and even Peters, but they were just trying survive the storm. They think Mahomes had a better day, even though when it came down to crunch time, he choked out two drives with INT's. Meanwhile, Jared Freakin' Goff throws a clutch pass to Everett down the sideline for a 40 yard TD. Man, c'mon......................

It's like a guy having the most incredible sex ever with a prostitute and it blows his mind. Then the next morning acts strange around her because she's not good enough for Momma.....

Goff could win 6 straight Super Bowls, and the media would still treat him like a chump .... because they annoited him a bust, and they were wrong. He is clearly the better QB when looking at him versus Mahomes. Mahomes has terrible foot work, and it's going to catch up to him, give it a year or two.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame

Clearly. Articles today were calling it "the new NFL." I personally don't care for it, as I was raised during the LA Rams heyday of ground Chuck, fearsome foursome, etc. :) I think the game loses an entire dimension of interest when good defense can no longer be a factor in the traditional sense.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Don't care if we win 100-99 or 3-0 as long as we win. The Talking Heads get paid to be provocative and controversial for clicks and ratings, so what they think, say, or post means less than nothing.

Jared Goff is not as exciting to watch as Pat Mahomes unless you're a Rams fan. He doesn't take as many chances. He doesn't make weird throws from impossible angles. He doesn't run out of the pocket as often. Goff is instead very calculating and steady. Perfect for McVay. In the interviews after the game he looked like he was half asleep, lol. The young man has ice water in his veins.

So if you're trying to get clicks and ratings, which QB would you zero in on? So let them foam at the mouth and get into a lather all they want over Mahomes, Goroppolo, or their next infatuation, while Goff and the Rams pick teams apart and take home trophies.

Btw I can't think of a single team we might meet in the playoffs that can stop our offense from scoring 30 to 40 points no matter what stadium we're in. The entire key to the rest of the season is our defense tightening up once Talib returns.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Scoring is not that different.........do I have to post the chart again?????

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I heard "Yes, the game was exciting, but what team gives up 51 points in the playoffs?..

As I said in another thread this hypocrisy is amazingly stupid. So the Rams get dinged for giving up 51 but the Chefs don't for giving up 54?

18nl58invo9kggif.gif

James Otto

Starter
Don't care if we win 100-99 or 3-0 as long as we win. The Talking Heads get paid to be provocative and controversial for clicks and ratings, so what they think, say, or post means less than nothing.

Jared Goff is not as exciting to watch as Pat Mahomes unless you're a Rams fan. He doesn't take as many chances. He doesn't make weird throws from impossible angles. He doesn't run out of the pocket as often. Goff is instead very calculating and steady. Perfect for McVay. In the interviews after the game he looked like he was half asleep, lol. The young man has ice water in his veins.

So if you're trying to get clicks and ratings, which QB would you zero in on? So let them foam at the mouth and get into a lather all they want over Mahomes, Goroppolo, or their next infatuation, while Goff and the Rams pick teams apart and take home trophies.

Btw I can't think of a single team we might meet in the playoffs that can stop our offense from scoring 30 to 40 points no matter what stadium we're in. The entire key to the rest of the season is our defense tightening up once Talib returns.

I heard that Peters was quoted saying there is a drastically different feel with Talib on the field, not because of his talent, but because there is no real leader in the back 7. He may have a bigger impact than expected.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Speaking of defense....

Did everyone watch the Vikings/Bears on Sunday night????

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

Riddick needs to get with the program. He can complain all he wants but the NFL is not going back to what it was when he played during the early and mid 90's. For that to happen rules would have to be changed so that DB's can knock around receivers all they want and D-linemen can stomp QB's into the ground without penalties.

Concussion studies of former NFL players would have to be ignored. That's not going to happen because the financial cost from lawsuits would be too great for the league to bear.

That said, I miss the old days of the NFL as well but have enough common sense to know the league will never be like that again.

Did everyone watch the Vikings/Bears on Sunday night????

Yes, I watched it. Mack and the Bears D held Cousins to 262 yards with 2 interceptions and 20 points. It will be interesting to see how McVay deals with that Bears D.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Riddick needs to get with the program. He can complain all he wants but the NFL is not going back to what it was when he played during the early and mid 90's. For that to happen rules would have to be changed so that DB's can knock around receivers all they want and D-linemen can stomp QB's into the ground without penalties.

Concussion studies of former NFL players would have to be ignored. That's not going to happen because the financial cost from lawsuits would be too great for the league to bear.

That said, I miss the old days of the NFL as well but have enough common sense to know the league will never be like that again.

Yes, I watched it. Mack and the Bears D held Cousins to 262 yards with 2 interceptions and 20 points. It will be interesting to see how McVay deals with that Bears D.

I was starting to get worried about that Bears team, (I still think it will be a tough road game), but man, they have had a really easy schedule so far.

Week - Result
1 - Lost to the Packers
2 - Beat the Seahawks when they had no Identity
3 - Beat the Cardinals by 2
4 - Beat the Bucks
5 - Bye Week
6 - Lost to the Dolphins
7 - Lost to the Patriots
8 - Beat the Jets
9 - Beat the Bills
10 - Beat the Lions
11 - Beat the Vikings

The Vikings are the only team that they have beaten that currently have a winning record. The teams they have beaten have a combined record of 25-44-2

After looking at that, I am not sure how impressed I am with them.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

is anyone else sick of all the morons with a microphone in front of their mouth that keep saying goff was a bust in his rookie year? fuck me, shut the fuck up already. he was a rookie.

morons.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Then you get the idiots that say Goff is good because of the weapons he has.

Let's see. Kelce, Hill, Conley, and Hunt. What would Mahomes look like without them? The supporting cast thing is a dumb argument. Maybe it isn't in a Russel Wilson's case but, Manning had Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, and Edgerin Names, plus a good OLine. Manning had a rough start. Hickman had a star studded cast. Brady may make receivers better, or the system fit does. Rodgers and Favre had good weapons.

I really don't understand the argument. Especially when Kupp goes down with injury, and Goff doesn't skip a beat with the next men up, which would be Reynolds and Everrett. And was Robert Woods as good in Buffalo as he is with Goff? No.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

But it's not league-wide, tho.

It's really only the Rams, Saints and Chiefs.

If you look at EVERY other game, basically every team scored right around 20 pts give or take just a few.

I mean the Saints scored 48 against an Eagle team that has forgotten how to play football as if they have football amnesia, the Bucs and Giants can't hardly play at all and it was a terrible 38-35 game and the Colts dropped 38 on a Titans team that just beat the Pats.

So, the ONLY time you see this much scoring is when two bottom dwellers beat each other up or a top offense is playing.

And right now, top offenses are better than top defenses.

I feel very confident playing the Bears. The only issue for me is if it's bitterly cold. Here's hoping it's unseasonably mild. But if that's the case, it's the weather beating the Rams, not so much the Bears.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...l-trends-with-commitment-to-run-game-defense/

Pete Carroll perfectly fine with bucking NFL trends with commitment to run game, defense

The Seattle Seahawks are the only team in the NFL to have run on the ball on more than 50 percent of their offensive snaps. While the rest of the league has been chasing offense, offense, offense, Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll vowed to get back to his philosophy of running the ball well and playing good defense.

After having just one rushing touchdown by a running back a season ago, Carroll vowed to get the running game fixed this season. The Seahawks are once again playing football to the exact formula Carroll wants to see from his teams. The defense isn’t as stout as previous star-studded iterations, but the offensive philosophy is right where Carroll desires it to be.

And if that makes him an outlier compared to the rest of the NFL trending toward spread attacks, then so be it.

“Yeah, I do,” Carroll said when asked Tuesday if he takes pride in going against the norm. “You know, I don’t mind being different at all. I didn’t mind it when we were in college either. We weren’t spreading out and doing all the stuff that other people were doing. We were running a pretty balanced attack back in the day and ran for a lot of yards (with) a lot of big time running backs.

I think it’s a great way to play. When I look at – in college football and to look back, I look at the way that Nick (Saban) is doing his stuff there. They are still a very formidable running attack always, and in that when you’re playing all-spread teams week and week out, it’s a big transition for you and being unique is okay, particularly when you’re being aggressive and tough.”

The Seahawks have the league’s top rushing attack through the first 11 weeks of the NFL season. Seattle is averaging 154.3 rushing yards per game with an average of 32.3 attempts per game. They run the ball on 51.03 percent of their offensive snaps. The Tennessee Titans (48.01), New Orleans Saints (47.21) and Houston Texans (47.07) are the closest challengers to Seattle on the run dedication spectrum.

Seattle has rushed for at least 150 yards in each of their last seven games, posting a 5-3 record over that span with a pair of close losses to the Los Angeles Rams and an eight-point loss to the Los Angeles Chargers.

“I think it’s really, it’s about commitment and the commitment to practice it and talk it and then carried out and coach it really well so that we’re able to do that,” Carroll said of the run game success. “I mean, everyone wants to run the football but to be that committed to it, I think that’s really what’s made the difference.

The players are obviously suited – the guys up front are suited to run the football like that and the running backs are suited to run football like that and Russell (Wilson) complements that as well. I think everybody’s in on it.”

Carroll did watch the Monday night shootout between the Rams and Kansas City Chiefs and marveled at the production of both offenses.

“Some really good defensive coordinators on those staffs too, I want you to know that, that were coaching ball last night,” Carroll said. “The offenses were just crazy – it was crazy. There was some huge defensive plays in that game, but there was so much offense and just so much explosion in all. It was as good a game as I can remember seeing. It reminds you like the old AFL games back in the day, it was just such a shootout. It was amazing.”

But Carroll thinks his way of football is the best way to combat offenses such as the Rams and Chiefs. The Seahawks came close to beating the Rams in both meetings this season, losing by a combined seven points in the two games.

Carroll is perfectly fine zigging while the rest of the league is zagging and is confident the style he believes in will stand up over the long-term.

fearsomefour

Legend
The NFL is messing with the near perfect foundation too much.
This does not surprise me as the commish is the kind of guy who would mess up a wet dream. Every decision he makes he isnon the wrong side.
He is turning the NFL into that natural beauty who gets way too much plastic surgery and after a few years ends up looking like an old plastic grocery sack left outside in a rain storm.
The game is great.
I've said again and again. Appealing to fans (casual fans.....translation, baldwagoners, lack of understanding of the game) who only appreciate scoring is a mistake. It is changing the game for no reason.
A fool doing foolish things.
Goodell is a twat.

Q729

Legend
The NFL is messing with the near perfect foundation too much.
This does not surprise me as the commish is the kind of guy who would mess up a wet dream. Every decision he makes he isnon the wrong side.
He is turning the NFL into that natural beauty who gets way too much plastic surgery and after a few years ends up looking like an old plastic grocery sack left outside in a rain storm.
The game is great.
I've said again and again. Appealing to fans (casual fans.....translation, baldwagoners, lack of understanding of the game) who only appreciate scoring is a mistake. It is changing the game for no reason.
A fool doing foolish things.
Goodell is a twat.

:( (about the natural beauty).

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
But it's not league-wide, tho.

It's really only the Rams, Saints and Chiefs.

If you look at EVERY other game, basically every team scored right around 20 pts give or take just a few.

I mean the Saints scored 48 against an Eagle team that has forgotten how to play football as if they have football amnesia, the Bucs and Giants can't hardly play at all and it was a terrible 38-35 game and the Colts dropped 38 on a Titans team that just beat the Pats.

So, the ONLY time you see this much scoring is when two bottom dwellers beat each other up or a top offense is playing.

And right now, top offenses are better than top defenses.

I feel very confident playing the Bears. The only issue for me is if it's bitterly cold. Here's hoping it's unseasonably mild. But if that's the case, it's the weather beating the Rams, not so much the Bears.

The Rams, Chefs, and the Aints are the vanguards and changes will happen during the offseason in the attempt to imitate them. These teams will get HC's fired. They will pick young offensive minded coaches and try to find more talent to fit creative schemes, and most will fail trying to do it. This is exciting football fluff and fans are eating it up and it drives ratings. It also protects offensive players from head injuries, by hamstringing defensive guys who want to hit.

Tye Law recently explained what all of us knew...WR's are going across the middle without fear, unlike before the rule changes. WR's used to go back to their QB's and cuss them out for leaving them vulnerable to being killed by LBers. This was the LBer enforced "penalty" on the field for trying to do it. Now, offenses' are using that middle of the field and killing teams, while the LBers are essentially neutered.

McVay and others are taking advantage of rules like this, and the currently lower scoring teams, will attempt to imitate them...and most will fail, because coaches like McVay, Peyton and Reid don't come around often.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy

Hold up, Riddick seems to be more of a turn-the-clock-forward guy rather than a back-in-my-day guy. He thinks more match coverage could help:

View: https://twitter.com/LRiddickESPN/status/1065248543961743361

Well, ok, he does believe in getting more physical with receivers:
Unless coaches start emphasizing roughing people up within that five-yard area and being more aggressive as far as zone pattern-matching, they have no shot to slow down these offenses.

On the Rams-Chiefs game, my bad for not posting Riddick's earlier tweets - his 2 main criticisms were: (1) The coverage schemes were way too basic; and (2) neither defense was trying to disguise anything pre-snap.

View: https://twitter.com/LRiddickESPN/status/1064994173126881280

View: https://twitter.com/LRiddickESPN/status/1064991586226970624

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Then you get the idiots that say Goff is good because of the weapons he has.

Let's see. Kelce, Hill, Conley, and Hunt. What would Mahomes look like without them? The supporting cast thing is a dumb argument. Maybe it isn't in a Russel Wilson's case but, Manning had Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, and Edgerin Names, plus a good OLine. Manning had a rough start. Hickman had a star studded cast. Brady may make receivers better, or the system fit does. Rodgers and Favre had good weapons.

I really don't understand the argument. Especially when Kupp goes down with injury, and Goff doesn't skip a beat with the next men up, which would be Reynolds and Everrett. And was Robert Woods as good in Buffalo as he is with Goff? No.

What made me chuckle is they were discussing the game on GMFB and were talking in general saying that "mahomes had targets wide open all the time .and Goff was making throws beating tight coverage " and somehow that makes mahomes a better QB ?

i swear i could QB that team and win and im 5-9 have two shitty shoulders from rugby