Hybrid S/LB'er Trend

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
It's a very unique situation the Rams have in personelle and it's working really well. Three guys the last two weeks have made a ton of plays around the LOS and I'm not talking about DL, LB's or CB's. Specifically, I'm talking about the McSafties and Barron. They've played a ton of snaps in the box and Barron/McD hit like LB'ers anyhow. Is this Williams at his finest?

We knew coming in that Williams adjusts his aggressive scheme according to his personelle and I think that's what he's doing. With the DL causing all kinds of havoc at the LOS, the opposing linemen cannot get to the second level. So what does Williams do? He puts in undersized, shifty, hitters that can cover better than traditional LB'ers but pack the same wallop on tackling . You can do this only when you have superb DL play like we do. I do beleive this is the formula to use against teams with no running game.

And on a side note, MO Alexander's skill set fits this mold perfectly. I expect big things from him in the future.

Big Willie

Starter
It's becoming a pass focused league and as a result teams need players who can move and cover quick players in space. Bulked up safeties are the perfect solution and they can also bring the hammer when needed.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
It's a very unique situation the Rams have in personelle and it's working really well. Three guys the last two weeks have made a ton of plays around the LOS and I'm not talking about DL, LB's or CB's. Specifically, I'm talking about the McSafties and Barron. They've played a ton of snaps in the box and Barron/McD hit like LB'ers anyhow. Is this Williams at his finest?

We knew coming in that Williams adjusts his aggressive scheme according to his personelle and I think that's what he's doing. With the DL causing all kinds of havoc at the LOS, the opposing linemen cannot get to the second level. So what does Williams do? He puts in undersized, shifty, hitters that can cover better than traditional LB'ers but pack the same wallop on tackling . You can do this only when you have superb DL play like we do. I do beleive this is the formula to use against teams with no running game.

And on a side note, MO Alexander's skill set fits this mold perfectly. I expect big things from him in the future.
I find this^ concept very, very exciting! especially sense Barron has only been with the team a couple of weeks, and is still adjusting to Williams' scheme!!:D

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
good call. thought about mentioning this earlier in the week after I realized the Rams ran the tables in nickel the entire game. anything Dunbar can do McDonald can do better. Dunbar can stay on the bench. keep running with an extra DB it shrinks the holes in the field and speeds up the entire defensive tempo and just plain causes havoc. don't stop the train

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It seems we are a bit ahead of the curve on this one. I see where a couple of the top college LB prospects are listed at about 220 or so and are considered hybrids. As they say - speed kills. And speed with pop? Just fun to watch IMO.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I've noticed this last year with Ogletree's coverage skills (he was a safety) and this is one of the few exceptions where role ambiguity helps. The 4-2-5 defense really benefits us with Dunbar on key running downs. Now we just need to put Mcleod at nickel and Joyner at FS.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
I don't think McCloud can cover. I can't ever really recall him making a pass break plus he blows coverages often.. I wouldn't want to see him in the slot.

The hybrid things is cool until you run into an old school ground and pound team which there aren't many in the league any more. Remember tino (whatever his name was)?. He was like a 215 lb lb who couldn't get off a block.