Hurricane Florence

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
A good friend of mine left his house (he had storm shutters) in Naples when the eyewall passed over him. He said it was strange. I wish he would have gotten pictures.

I tried but of course it was at night.

looks like Flo is done for those of us In my area. Not a lot of wind left and it's just been a drizzle of rain for the last 6 hours. Not to say we won't get a rain band as the day goes on

So far we haven't lost power or satellite TV. Or cable for that matter.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I tried but of course it was at night.

looks like Flo is done for those of us In my area. Not a lot of wind left and it's just been a drizzle of rain for the last 6 hours. Not to say we won't get a rain band as the day goes on

So far we haven't lost power or satellite TV. Or cable for that matter.

I'm glad you caught some luck!

EastRam

Pro Bowler
Who knows what's gonna happen when the rivers crest.

NC got hammered for sure.

But when all that water starts down to the coast hopefully it won't be as bad.

But looking better for sure right around us!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Wow, I had heard nothing about this with all the Florence talk. Had to go look it up... that is going to down right destroy everything on the north tip of the Phillipines. Scary.

View: https://twitter.com/kevpluck/status/1040339049255448576

That storm had winds of 180 MPH.

Whoa that's going to be a disaster in a nation like the Philippines. Imagine what it would do in the USA then you can probably figure it'll be 10 times worse in a nation that probably has older and less stable infrastructure. This could be a humanitarian crisis.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

The media are such tools. Their collective weather “disaster” reports are ridiculously humorous and they just keep adding to the eye rolling stupidity. As if we need someone reporting from the scene instead of just showing it. Oooooooh! That reporter is putting his/her life on the line to bring us this report. Yeah.... no they’re not.

I remember some just stupid reporters out in Portland when we’d get a couple inches of snow.... “Blizzard in Portland”. Now if they put this guy on, I’d be entertained:

View: https://youtu.be/MI_rcwYnhNg

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, it's nonsense.

We've seen massive disasters, like when Irma hit Puerto Rico or Harvey parked over Houston and no one needed to lie to the people.

Heck, tell the damn good news! If the water is only a foot high as opposed to up to the rooftops, TELL THAT!

Cuz here's the problem, whether it be the news, weather or whatever... once they start with that crap, then the people don't trust them and when they really have dire news that people need to listen and react to NOW, then they don't because they think it's ratings driven or all hype.

And that's when people die.

It's kinda funny to watch them get busted, but it's not funny at all when people die

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yeah, it's nonsense.

We've seen massive disasters, like when Irma hit Puerto Rico or Harvey parked over Houston and no one needed to lie to the people.

Heck, tell the damn good news! If the water is only a foot high as opposed to up to the rooftops, TELL THAT!

Cuz here's the problem, whether it be the news, weather or whatever... once they start with that crap, then the people don't trust them and when they really have dire news that people need to listen and react to NOW, then they don't because they think it's ratings driven or all hype.

It's kinda funny to watch them get busted, but it's not funny at all when people die
Exactly. Report the news as you KNOW it to be - ALWAYS. PERIOD!!!

Great point Mac.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
Yup.

So where we are located they still won't let the people in to get to their homes until tomorrow at 9am.

Which is another reason we stayed.

Now granted. Where I have a sister in NC they got hammered.
Flooding is real where she is.

But our location. For Gods sake let people into their homes to protect them and try and get some relief.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The media are such tools. Their collective weather “disaster” reports are ridiculously humorous and they just keep adding to the eye rolling stupidity. As if we need someone reporting from the scene instead of just showing it. Oooooooh! That reporter is putting his/her life on the line to bring us this report. Yeah.... no they’re not.

I remember some just stupid reporters out in Portland when we’d get a couple inches of snow.... “Blizzard in Portland”. Now if they put this guy on, I’d be entertained:

Obviously they don't have dental in Canadas HC system eh.

Yeah, it's nonsense.

Exactly. Report the news as you KNOW it to be - ALWAYS. PERIOD!!!

Great point Mac.

It's peculiar because this level of hysteria is only for weather related events.

I'm from CLE and the weather in the winter is bad, sometimes shitty, sometimes closes down the town for a day. But 3-8 inches of snow just slows things down, and no more than that. Yet the weather reporting would lead you to believe you will be holed up in your house for 3 days. We all have windows in our houses, and can see how deep the snow is, and that most of the streets are drive-able if you are careful.

I disagree with you @RamFan503 that "the media are tools", they aren't at all, at least not overall and that's WAY too broad of a brush. But for some reason there is a LOVE to hype up storms, especially hurricanes and snowstorms. It's like there is a fetish for those two things. They post someone outdoor standing in the shit talking about it and I don't know what that does LOL.

It's not logical.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott

So cal reporters are the worst.
We get a winter "storm" and it's all over the news in dramatic fashion. Were lucky if we get 1/2 inch of light rain.
"STORM WATCH STAY TUNED!"

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I disagree with you @RamFan503 that "the media are tools", they aren't at all, at least not overall and that's WAY too broad of a brush. But for some reason there is a LOVE to hype up storms, especially hurricanes and snowstorms. It's like there is a fetish for those two things. They post someone outdoor standing in the crap talking about it and I don't know what that does LOL.

It's not logical.
I guess there’s no such thing as the saying “If it bleeds it leads” then. Not sure my brush COULD be broad enough. Everything is sensationalized if it makes the story more titilating. Truth and facts are too often secondary.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Truth and facts are too often secondary.

That's just not generally true. For some outlets yes it is, but they are mostly fringe outlets that are not held to any standards at all.

Truth and facts are in abundance, though outlets slant things this way or that way for sure and we would agree on that.

But overall the "media" is pretty much dealing in facts and truth. Almost exclusively in those things really. And it's easy to check them on what they say.

"If it bleeds it leads" is a long way away from not dealing in facts and truth. There is a HUGE difference. Grabbing attention doesn't mean that a media outlet isn't reporting accurate information. That's a big mistake to make.

I have been in radio and print, I know a little about this.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
5 days ago the models had it headed right for Charleston as a cat 3 turning into a 4.
That got my attention but I don't really ever do anything until the storm is about 2 to 3 days out.
Luckily, (for me and Charleston anyway) it turned North.
It's kind of sitting over North Carolina like Harvey sat over Houston.
They had a serious gully-washer about 5-6 years ago in North Carolina as well.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
About the typhoon...I have online friends in the Philippines. I hope to fate that they'll be okay.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
I guess there’s no such thing as the saying “If it bleeds it leads” then. Not sure my brush COULD be broad enough. Everything is sensationalized if it makes the story more titilating. Truth and facts are too often secondary.

I agree with Stu here. To call the media “tools” was perhaps too kind. They are supposed to be our “fourth estate” and instead, often parrot the same lines, as though they are the public relations firm for the very ones they are supposed to hold accountable. Broad stroke. And I know a bit about this too. Enough said.

And weather is often sensationalized. Some of those videos crack me up. I’ve never understood why they give so much time to the meteorologists on the 30 minute local news. I’m just dying to know what dew point is. :sleep:

Still, praying for all that may be in harms way with current storms. Be wise and safe. Really need prayer in the Philippines, too.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
About the typhoon...I have online friends in the Philippines. I hope to fate that they'll be okay.

I hope so too..........I've seen a few pics and it's not good. Hopefully they got to one of the shelters.

I heard an interview with a woman who stayed behind. She thought she and her family would be safe because..........ready for this? They live in a brick house. Just fucking stupid, like that protects you against massive floodwaters............ like @PhillyRam said it's terrible that rescue workers had to risk their lives to save this woman and her kids.

How the HELL do you put your kids in harm's way like that?