Hundreds of thousands may lose Internet in July

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Hmmm... log into an FBI computer so that it can scan my computer and "clean" it of any viruses. I'm thinking I'll take my chances that I'm not one of the 85,000 US computers.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
RamFan503 said:
Hmmm... log into an FBI computer so that it can scan my computer and "clean" it of any viruses. I'm thinking I'll take my chances that I'm not one of the 85,000 US computers.
You'll be sorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. :yeh:

bluecoconuts

Legend
RamFan503 said:

It doesn't really scan it, you just click a link and it pings your IP address to make sure it's the correct one. Which is something they could do with or without you clicking on that link... Hell, X can see your IP address.

If you ping incorrectly then that's a different story though, then you gotta do the fixing and whatnot.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Is it possible to [re]post the article here, as I don't believe I can view without a Yahoo account.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yeah - I looked into it a bit and went to the link for the machine that goes PING! I'm green.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I'm goin green! Yay! :mrgreen:

Oh see what I did there.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
X said:
interference said:
Is it possible to [re]post the article here, as I don't believe I can view without a Yahoo account.
Sorry about that. It was on my wife's homepage, and she forwarded it to me.

Try this one instead.
http://news.yahoo.com/hundreds-thousand ... nance.html
Thanks very much for the alternative link.

So, this has to be the stupidest thing I've ever heard. If I'm to believe this story at all, which I don't, the FBI now has two DNS servers serving about 360,000 users. Therefore, the FBI determines the IP address that those users visit when those users type-in any given web-address. Hence, the FBI could easily create instructional web pages that explain to a user how to fix their problem. Say, for example, an infected user types "www.google.com".... well, the FBI could create a solution where every 5th-time a user visits "google" they get a notice that tells that user that they've been infected and that that user needs to follow the listed instructions to correct their situation.

However, what the FBI has done, or is doing, or is able to do, is to monitor all of the Internet traffic patterns of over 500,000 users (the initial amount infected) for numerous months. Now, they ask more users to visit their site... what for? It's totally unnecessary. The FBI knows exactly who is infected and has the ability to contact them and to tell them how to solve their problem. This is one stupid solution followed by another. Makes me think there's another agenda at play, because the FBI isn't stupid.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Does anyone have a link to the site that I can use to clean my computer?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
brokeu91 said:
Did your DNS re-route you? Wow. I wasn't sure anyone would fail that test. If that's what happened, I guess you can go to the site they provided. http://www.dcwg.org/fix/ (bottom of the page) . If it's a simple virus or something like that, there are tons of free removal programs out there, but I don't know what's wrong with yours.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
X said:
brokeu91 said:
Did your DNS re-route you? Wow. I wasn't sure anyone would fail that test. If that's what happened, I guess you can go to the site they provided. http://www.dcwg.org/fix/ (bottom of the page) . If it's a simple virus or something like that, there are tons of free removal programs out there, but I don't know what's wrong with yours.
Oh, I didn't fail it. I thought I might have it...not sure why and wanted to make sure.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
If anyone continues to be really concerned about this, you could just install one of the products listed in this video and rely on one of these DNS services, which should block such malware attempts at the DNS level. No need for government involvement anywhere in the process.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OY6v90BfQg[/youtube]

PS. I haven't tried any of these DNS services, so I can't comment personally.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
interference said:

And just how do we know you are not an agent of the government? :what:

:7up:

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
RamFan503 said:
interference said:

And just how do we know you are not an agent of the government? :what:

:7up:
You never know, I might just be a food inspector with a very close eye on you :rofl: