Humanity

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I gained a little hope for it recently. And realized while I don't think I worsten it, I am not improving it either. I was recently driving one of my employees to lunch, I noticed that he kept waving at every single person he could raise a hand at. Almost obnoxiously so. I asked what he was doing and he said he had recently read a Facebook post about a guy who did the same thing in response to hearing someone he had seen committed suicide and he couldn't help but wonder if maybe something as simple as a wave or a smile with a hello would have been enough to make that man last one more day.

I'm not normally inspired easily, but for me, to personally know someone whom that story touched enough that he started doing his part, really made me look at myself and ask, what am I doing? Turns out, not shit. So I need to get to work. How bout you?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
That applies to the internet as well. Anonymity has a tendency to bring out the absolute worst in some people but for the rest of us it's a good opportunity to make a difference in a positive manner. I have a simple philosophy in life: treat people with honor and respect until they prove otherwise. Some take advantage of that because they see it as weakness but it has served me well.

bluecoconuts

Legend
There's certain things I do, somethings I used to do but can't anymore, but I try to at least be kind and respectful to everyone until they do something to change that. When I was in the military, I saved my money pretty well, got a lot saved from deployments, etc, and I was able to donate money to those who really needed it. There was one family who was raffling off all of their possessions, trying to raise the last few grand to help pay for their daughter's (about 6 years old) final cancer treatments after she was cut off from insurance, and after talking with them for a bit, I just walked to the bank and got the money from them. They offered me everything (couches, a big TV etc) in return, but I told them to keep it, because she's going to want something comfortable to sit on and something to watch while she's growing up. The gratitude on her families face, especially her grandmother was something that still sticks to me today. I just don't have the money to do things like that anymore, and I hardly have the time to volunteer either. Later on I'll probably get back into helping others, when I do have the time and money to spare. I'm not a complicated guy, I don't need very much to keep me happy, so it keeps my expenses down, and thus allows me to help others. I have money that I set aside for retirement, money that I use just for basic living, and a little extra so I can do things that I want to do/cover expenses. Anything after that I'm okay with parting with if I feel someone really needs it.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
That applies to the internet as well. Anonymity has a tendency to bring out the absolute worst in some people but for the rest of us it's a good opportunity to make a difference in a positive manner. I have a simple philosophy in life: treat people with honor and respect until they prove otherwise. Some take advantage of that because they see it as weakness but it has served me well.

As I've gotten older it's actually become easier to do that.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
There's certain things I do, somethings I used to do but can't anymore, but I try to at least be kind and respectful to everyone until they do something to change that. When I was in the military, I saved my money pretty well, got a lot saved from deployments, etc, and I was able to donate money to those who really needed it. There was one family who was raffling off all of their possessions, trying to raise the last few grand to help pay for their daughter's (about 6 years old) final cancer treatments after she was cut off from insurance, and after talking with them for a bit, I just walked to the bank and got the money from them. They offered me everything (couches, a big TV etc) in return, but I told them to keep it, because she's going to want something comfortable to sit on and something to watch while she's growing up. The gratitude on her families face, especially her grandmother was something that still sticks to me today. I just don't have the money to do things like that anymore, and I hardly have the time to volunteer either. Later on I'll probably get back into helping others, when I do have the time and money to spare. I'm not a complicated guy, I don't need very much to keep me happy, so it keeps my expenses down, and thus allows me to help others. I have money that I set aside for retirement, money that I use just for basic living, and a little extra so I can do things that I want to do/cover expenses. Anything after that I'm okay with parting with if I feel someone really needs it.

That's one of the coolest things I've ever heard. I'm not much on ego stroking, but that there was awesome of you.

bluecoconuts

Legend
It was hard to walk away from a little girl with cancer. It was obvious they were desperate, I would like to think that most people who had the money to spare would have done something similar.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
You know, we are all different and everybody, EVERYBODY, is fighting their own little battles, demons, problems, etc. and it's easy to get tunnel vision focusing on your own little "armageddon". The older you get the colder you grow to some things and the more understanding you gain for others. I guess that is what they are talking about when wisdom is mentioned. I've done seemingly little things for people that I thought insignificant but later found out that made a world of difference. So, do what you can for your fellow man because you never know. And it doesn't always have to be expensive. You know, like that smile and wave, nod of the head, wink, thank you's, and apologies. It's easy to be an ass (Hell, I'm good at it.) but being thoughtful is good for the soul. I've been blessed in my life to not need for anything, sure, full of wants, but need hasn't been a problem. (Well, I consider another RAMS championship a NEED!)

One thing I struggle with these days is panhandlers. There is a professional ring of them these days that operate highway exits, public events, etc. and they piss me off because they hurt the people that really have been reduced to begging on the corner for help. And sometimes, my heart just says, "give to them anyway, they may really need it and if they don't, shame on them but, regardless, you have done the right thing." But when I see them swap out for lunch break or whatever or walk around the corner and hop on their brand new scooter, my blood boils just a little bit. We have an entire family running the scam in town now. They sit on a bench with their suitcases like they are stranded or something. But they walk across the parking lot to a hotel every evening. The other day it was raining pretty hard. They were all out there and each one of them had an umbrella. They must be the best prepared stranded people on record. I feel sorry for the kids and don't know how the parents do it to them much less how they get away with them not being in school. Sorry, got side-tracked a bit but I guess "humanity" is a broad subject.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

If you were here right now I would hug you and give you a kiss. You deserve it.