How will the Rams replace Sammy Watkins? It's complicated

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
One player that made McVay's Washington offenses so affective, was Desean Jackson. He wasn't as big or strong as Sammy but he stretched the field. That is the strategy. Attack all levels of the field. Work, middle, deep, right, left, center. If Reynolds/Thomas, isn't an adequate deep threat, and red zone target, it stands to reason that the offense won't be as affective. They thought enough of the need last year to trade a second round pick to get that offensive piece. If they felt Reynolds or Thomas could easily fill that role, then there is no need to trade such a high pick for Watkins. No need to trade for him at all.

If the Rams sign a WR with deep speed and quickness, then that tells us all that McVay didn't see the answer on the current roster. I know what everyone has their heart set on an all defensive draft, but I personally won't be surprised if they pick a WR in rounds 1-3.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One player that made McVay's Washington offenses so affective, was Desean Jackson. He wasn't as big or strong as Sammy but he stretched the field. That is the strategy. Attack all levels of the field. Work, middle, deep, right, left, center. If Reynolds/Thomas, isn't an adequate deep threat, and red zone target, it stands to reason that the offense won't be as affective. They thought enough of the need last year to trade a second round pick to get that offensive piece. If they felt Reynolds or Thomas could easily fill that role, then there is no need to trade such a high pick for Watkins. No need to trade for him at all.

If the Rams sign a WR with deep speed and quickness, then that tells us all that McVay didn't see the answer on the current roster. I know what everyone has their heart set on an all defensive draft, but I personally won't be surprised if they pick a WR in rounds 1-3.
Round 1? That would be a surprise because the top wr imo aren’t the 4.3 guys. If they went wr in round 3 I wouldn’t be surprised

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Round 1? That would be a surprise because the top wr imo aren’t the 4.3 guys. If they went wr in round 3 I wouldn’t be surprised

I could see DJ Moore used in that role and I think he is round 1 material. He ran a 4.42 at the combine. He is a physical player despite only being 5'11". Desean Jackson isn't tall either. Moore breaks tackles when running after the catch. My favorite as most should know is Dante Pettis. I don't know where he lands with his injury. My guess is round 3. He isn't the physical freak that Sammy is but he has blazing speed and great vision. He fights for the ball, tracks it we'll, gets separation. But, he is thin.

ramsplaya16

The One and Only
We gotta give Hurns a lol, he’s a good WR if he can stay healthy... he’s young too

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't trust Thomas. He's got a lot to prove after the suspension, as far as I'm concerned. I will say that I noted during a couple camp trips last year that he was running routes by himself with some impressive intensity, really workin them hard. So I hope to see him step it up but at this point I make zero assumptions with him.

Reynolds is going to get his shot. I hope he's ready to take advantage, because he has some really special attributes like his catch radius and length/athleticism.

If Reynolds struggles, then I think Kupp will move outside and we'll see more of Coop in the slot. Not ideal, but we should still have a very good offense.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
All of this Watkins stuff is water under the bridge now. McVay will have to work with what he has. What he has are two very good receivers in Woods and Kupp along with an elite running back in Gurley. Believe me, there are a lot of teams that wish they had what the Rams have in those 3. And don't forget the tight ends. I know McVay likes TE's. They just weren't ready last season. Another year in this system and we might be surprised. There's a reason Everett was McVay's first pick as a head coach. I would expect a little more from him.

Malibu

Pro Bowler

DJ Chark fits that mold maybe and just as fast as Desean (Chark 4.34/Desean 4.35). Loved him in the Senior Bowl. Need to trade back in 2nd to get him. I think only two WRs go in the first and there will be a run on WRs in the 2nd. He is rated on a bunch of mocks the 5th best. Plus Chark is a returner who could spell Cooper if needed.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's really funny reading these threads. From reactions you'd think we lost Antonio Brown or Calvin Johnson or somebody amazing that you couldn't replace.

dang

Legend
Pettis is projected 3rd round pick.

I don't see Rams picking a WR before 4th round. Michael Gallup/COL ST is an example of a WR 4th round pick. He is similar to Watkins in size (but not as fast) and reportedly has strong hands, creates separation, is physical, good catch radius and tracks the ball well. If needed we could use one of 6th round picks to maneuver up in the round.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
If the Rams can land a NT and ILB in free agency, they might pull the trigger on a TE with their first pick to ease the loss of the distraction element of SW. That won't replace the "stretch the field" function SW provided but the addition of a high value TE in conjunction with Thomas and Reynolds might serve the purpose. Or perhaps a WR like Daurice Fountain out of Nothern Iowa may be had with one of our 4th round picks?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the Rams can land a NT and ILB in free agency, they might pull the trigger on a TE with their first pick to ease the loss of the distraction element of SW. That won't replace the "stretch the field" function SW provided but the addition of a high value TE in conjunction with Thomas and Reynolds might serve the purpose. Or perhaps a WR like Daurice Fountain out of Nothern Iowa may be had with one of our 4th round picks?

rookie tes are not going to do anything in their first season. i'm not sure which ones have in the nfl. i'm sure there's a couple but it's highly unlikely they will contribute very much in their first season.

just have to hope everett takes a huge jump because higbee can't catch with a defender on him.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
rookie tes are not going to do anything in their first season. i'm not sure which ones have in the nfl. i'm sure there's a couple but it's highly unlikely they will contribute very much in their first season.

just have to hope everett takes a huge jump because higbee can't catch with a defender on him.

Not sure was necessitates “anything” but Higbee and Everett did next to nothing as rookies. Evan Engram, Gronk, jimmy Graham etc all showed a ton in their rookie year.
Not saying we need a new TE mind you, just disagree that a TE can’t help right away

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure was necessitates “anything” but Higbee and Everett did next to nothing as rookies. Evan Engram, Gronk, jimmy Graham etc all showed a ton in their rookie year.
Not saying we need a new TE mind you, just disagree that a TE can’t help right away

Jimmy Graham had 31 receptions his rookie season. 99 his second.
Gronkowski had 42 receptions - by far the lowest of any healthy season. 90 his second.
Engram did have a good rookie season.

So one out of three. But the lesson of Graham and Gronkowski is that major second year improvement happens.

If Everett gets more targets, with a normal amount of improvement 40-50 receptions wouldn't be unexpected. The increase would be most of the receptions Watkins had last year. Or he might just suck, and there would be little improvement. My money would be on the former.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jimmy Graham had 31 receptions his rookie season. 99 his second.
Gronkowski had 42 receptions - by far the lowest of any healthy season. 90 his second.
Engram did have a good rookie season.

So one out of three. But the lesson of Graham and Gronkowski is that major second year improvement happens.

If Everett gets more targets, with a normal amount of improvement 40-50 receptions wouldn't be unexpected. The increase would be most of the receptions Watkins had last year. Or he might just suck, and there would be little improvement. My money would be on the former.
Yep, I would gladly take the production as rookies of all the ones I mentioned.
Higbee had 11 rec in his rookie year, Everett 16.
Higbee didn't move the needle much in year 2, and I don't see any universe that would make me think Everett wont have a "2nd rookie year" this year (which I nderstand and certainly find acceptable).
Again, I don't suggest drafting a TE 1st round, but wont hate it if we do.
Saying you cant expect much out of rookie TE just isn't true, it was just merely true with the Rams TE
Heck, George Kittle even had an impressive rookie year, OJ Howard had 6 TD

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Good to open a thread and see posts from @NJRamsFan

There are a lot of ways to replace Watkins targets, but what he really brought to our offense was legitimacy. His production in between the 20s looks pedestrian on paper, but his efficiency in our offense was pretty impactful. Goff didnt have to establish a deep ball threat to Watkins before Defenses would back up to respect it. Watkins brought that threat from day 1, before teams respected Goff, they already feared Sammy Watkins.

Woods may have taken the #1, but Sammy had the eye of the free safety, which did open up the deep middle for Woods.

I dont think the Rams necessarily have to replace Watkins with some burner at the XWR. More important is replacing his efficiency IMO in our offense, especially in the red zone.

The reality is imo we will probably be fine, our offense will produce but.... I think its probably wishful thinking to believe we can equally replace what Watkins gave us. We might be better in some ways, but not by replacing his spot on the field. As others have stated, a more seasoned Goff and more involvement from our TEs will likely be where offensive improvement comes from.