How to stop RG3

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I found this an interesting article at ESPN.

Former Ram, Matt Bowen, does a nice job with the technical description in this article.

In addition... I tend to agree with Matt in the video; you want to run the guy? We'll put a hat on him and knock him out of the game!

[espn]9345923[/espn]

<a class="postlink" href="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9413045/nfl-how-stop-robert-griffin-iii" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/ ... riffin-iii</a>

You want to shut down Robert Griffin III and Kyle Shanahan's offense in Washington? Then get ready to put in some extra hours in the film room (and on the practice field) to prep for one of the more dynamic systems I saw on tape during the 2012 season.

Griffin is an electric talent at the quarterback position in a scheme that caters to his skill set when we break down the Redskins' playbook. But with an entire offseason to study the Skins, will opposing defenses finally catch up to the read-option, movement passes and the play-action that led to big numbers (3,200 yards passing, 815 yards rushing) from Griffin in 2012?

The past couple of weeks, I have taken a game plan approach to stopping Lions wide receiver Calvin Johnson and Vikings running back Adrian Peterson. Now it's time to come up with a script to limit Griffin as he recovers from a torn ACL.

What makes Griffin unique?

The former No. 2 overall pick has the arm strength to push the ball down the field and he also displays touch on his passes when asked to throw between the numbers in the short-to-intermediate passing game.

However, Griffin's ability to run the read-option and showcase his elite straight-line speed (4.41 40 time) makes him a true dual-threat player at the position. And while Griffin doesn't possess the same change-of-direction ability as a Michael Vick or Cam Newton, his speed on the edge can put stress on the defensive back seven to play with discipline.

Take a false step (or hesitate) versus Griffin when he keeps the ball in the read-option and you will be in panic mode as he turns up field for an explosive gain.

Catering to Griffin's skill set

Here are three schemes that led to Griffin's breakout rookie season in Washington:

1. Read-option: The Redskins will run the option scheme from a variety of alignments (Pistol, weak gun, etc.) and no one in the league hides the ball through the mesh point (quarterback-running back exchange) better than Griffin. However, for as many issues as the option causes for edge defenders (defensive ends, outside linebackers) in the run game, it is the play-action that has exposed NFL defenses with middle-of-the-field routes that take advantage of poor eye discipline. There were plenty of opportunities last season for Griffin to target wide-open receivers off the read-option backfield action.

2. Boot/Swap boot: The boot schemes go back to Mike Shanahan's days as the head coach in Denver. He sets up the play-action by running the zone (or stretch) scheme and getting the quarterback to the edge of the defense with a run/pass option. Griffin will have a two-level read and can also test the top of the defense by throwing the backside post.

3. Sprint concepts: The top two route combinations you will see in the NFL off of sprint action are the Flat-curl and the Flat-7 (corner). Run to a slot formation (offset back to slot side is a pre-snap alert), the Redskins will allow Griffin to extend the pocket and attack the secondary in both third-down and red zone situations.

Limiting the read-option

Let's take a quick look at a couple of techniques/schemes to slow down the Redskins' offense.

"Scrape exchange" technique: You must install/practice option responsibilities throughout the week when you prep for Griffin. One of those techniques is the "scrape exchange," where the edge defender (defensive end in 4-3 front, outside linebacker in 3-4 front) crashes on the dive when the tackle blocks down (Redskins use zone blocking in their option scheme). This allows the second-level linebacker to "scrape" to the quarterback.

You don't want hesitation from your edge defenders (opens up running lanes for the dive). Crash down the line of scrimmage, eliminate the dive, get your linebackers over the top to play the quarterback and remind your free safety to run the alley to clean it up.

Edge pressure: After talking with defensive coaches this offseason, I do think we will see more edge pressure versus the Redskins in 2013. The idea here is to speed up the actual "read" process for the quarterback. By sending a strong safety off the edge, you can eliminate the time spent in the mesh point and force the quarterback to give the ball up -- or take a helmet under the chin.

It's important to blitz early and blitz often. And remind Griffin that if he keeps the ball you are going to light him up all afternoon.

Defending read-option play-action

Keep your eyes on your work. I know that sounds like high school talk, but it applies to the play-action opportunities Griffin and the Redskins created with the read-option based on my tape study.

Let's look at three coverages that can limit the play-action opportunities for the Redskins.

1. Cover 1: The first defense installed in minicamp, Cover 1 (man-free) is the best option versus any pass play (regardless of formation or personnel) if your defensive backs can read their run-pass keys at the snap. There is no need to stare into the backfield when the tight end takes a vertical release or if the open-side offensive tackle takes a pass set (high-hat read) at the snap. Play with outside leverage and funnel the receivers to your free safety help (middle third defender).

2. Cover 6: Basic "quarter-quarter-half" with Cover 4 to the closed (strong) side of the formation and a "cloud" technique (Cover 2) to the open (weak) side of the formation. The strong safety will read the release of No. 2 (tight end) with the open-side "cloud" cornerback disrupting the release of the backside X receiver. Eliminate the inside seam with the strong safety and take away the dig (square-in) to the back side with the deep-half safety help over the top.

3. Zero pressure: I talked about using pressure versus the read-option to speed up the process for the quarterback in the run game and it also applies to play-action situations. In "zero pressure," (seven-man pressure), there is no free safety help in the middle of the field and defensive backs are taught to play with an inside shade (inside eye of the receiver) at the snap. Take away inside-breaking routes with your initial alignment and send edge pressure (contain responsibilities) to go put Griffin on the ground.

Preparation is the core key

Think back to Week 17 of last season when the Cowboys visited the Redskins. The Dallas game plan focused on eliminating Griffin in the read-option. The result? Alfred Morris ran wild as DeMarcus Ware and the Cowboys' outside linebackers played with hesitation on the edge all night and opened up a clear running lane for the dive.

Remember, the read-option isn't the Wildcat (no pass option) and I'm not going to call it a "gadget" when so many offenses are incorporating the scheme into their playbooks. It is a proven concept that the Redskins will once again lean on in 2013 until defenses start using the proper techniques and coverages.

Do I think Griffin will recover from the ACL injury? Of course -- and he will come back stronger because of the rehab process. In order to limit his production, defenses must get back to the basics or Griffin will fill up the box score once again.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
bluecoconuts said:
Do what the Rams did. Make him cry.

images

wv

Rookie
I assume we wont see the same RG3 next year. I'm assuming shannahan is not a
complete idiot and the Washington coaches will teach RG3 to slide and go out of bounds
and go fetal and do all the things Tavon does and Ike and Torry did in their later years.

I'm assuming that. I guess we'll see, though.

I was astonished at how long Shannahan left him in the playoff game btw.
Reminded me of Martz when he left the one-armed ryan tucker in the game versus Big Blue.

w
v

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
wv said:
complete idiot and the Washington coaches will teach RG3 to slide and go out of bounds
and go fetal and do all the things Tavon does and Ike and Torry did in their later years.

Reminded me of Martz when he left the one-armed ryan tucker in the game versus Big Blue.

w
v

Ya, know... I can be critical of Shanahan too. He didn't coach RG3 to protect himself. Coaching fail!

But, watch any RG3 highlight (in the NFL)....he just gets hit hard. It's like he can't avoid it.

It's not an intellence thing. Dude is just a magnet for hits. His body is an invitation for a beating.

Put me in the group skeptical of RG3.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Lots of good information up there. I love the technical chess-match aspects of the game. I think if Shanahan starts asking Griffin to call protections and run the offense more, that defenses are going to REALLY confuse him. That's only if he becomes more of a pocket passer though. Throwing up an amoeba defense and moving guys around as he's calling the protections would be a great way to revert him back to a read-option QB. Not saying he's dumb or anything. Just that he's inexperienced and is (as of now) only responsible for about half the field and a couple of reads. That's what makes him dynamic - because he can run away once the coverage is cleared out. If his legs go away, and he's forced to stick around in the pocket, he's going to take a step backwards this year. I can almost guarantee it.

wv

Rookie
CGI_Ram said:
wv said:

w
v

Ya, know... I can be critical of Shanahan too. He didn't coach RG3 to protect himself. Coaching fail!

But, watch any RG3 highlight (in the NFL)....he just gets hit hard. It's like he can't avoid it.

It's not an intellence thing. Dude is just a magnet for hits. His body is an invitation for a beating.

Well i agree he's a magnet for hits, and part of this is on him. If you watch Tavon he's the anti-macho-player of all time. He protects himself. Faulk was like that in a way. Faulk got creamed from time to time, but for the most part he knew how to create angles where he only took glancing blows.

Some of these players just seem to have an extra eye and a talent for escaping contact. Some of em dont.

There's a long history of rookie running QBs taking a beating their first year -- and then wising up in later years. We'll see what happens with RG3. ...i like him, and hope he does well -- i just hope Washington goes 0-16.

w
v

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
wv said:
CGI_Ram said:
wv said:

w
v

Well i agree he's a magnet for hits, and part of this is on him. If you watch Tavon he's the anti-macho-player of all time. He protects himself. Faulk was like that in a way. Faulk got creamed from time to time, but for the most part he knew how to create angles where he only took glancing blows.

Some of these players just seem to have an extra eye and a talent for escaping contact. Some of em dont.

There's a long history of rookie running QBs taking a beating their first year -- and then wising up in later years. We'll see what happens with RG3. ...i like him, and hope he does well -- i just hope Washington goes 0-16.

w
v
I agree with all that. The only thing that concerns me about Tavon is backside pursuit. There are some really fast defensive linemen and linebackers up here that could catch up to him in a hurry if he does too much juking and jiving. Just remember the way Leonard Little used to run guys down.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Dunbar, Ogletree, Stewart, and McDonald will knock him the fuck out.

wv

Rookie
X said:
I agree with all that. The only thing that concerns me about Tavon is backside pursuit. There are some really fast defensive linemen and linebackers up here that could catch up to him in a hurry if he does too much juking and jiving. Just remember the way Leonard Little used to run guys down.

Yeah, i dunno how long Tavon will last -- but he's gonna be fun while he does last. Thats all i got.

Who were the most exciting ball-carriers youve ever seen? Longevity dont matter. I didnt say 'best' only 'most exciting'.

Off the top of my head.....Metcalf (Terry and Eric)...Billy White Shoes Johnson....Dante Hall....Michael Vick...Barry Sanders....Fran Tarkenton.....I'm going blank now...

w
v

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
wv said:
X said:

Yeah, i dunno how long Tavon will last -- but he's gonna be fun while he does last. Thats all i got.

Who were the most exciting ball-carriers youve ever seen? Longevity dont matter. I didnt say 'best' only 'most exciting'.

Off the top of my head.....Metcalf (Terry and Eric)...Billy White Shoes Johnson....Dante Hall....Michael Vick...Barry Sanders....Fran Tarkenton.....I'm going blank now...

w
v
Earl Campbell used to scare me watching him as a kid. I used to picture having to stop him (as like a 13 year old) if he was running right at me, and it gave me the shivers. Dude had no business being a RB. lol. Of course Sanders and Faulk. Dickerson was very graceful to me. Deion Sanders was pretty electrifying whenever he got the ball, and I guess Amp Lee.

I'm also very fond of Pead's running style, and if he gets his head screwed on straight, everyone is going to get in line.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
X said:
wv said:
X said:

w
v
Earl Campbell used to scare me watching him as a kid. I used to picture having to stop him (as like a 13 year old) if he was running right at me, and it gave me the shivers. Dude had no business being a RB. lol. Of course Sanders and Faulk. Dickerson was very graceful to me. Deion Sanders was pretty electrifying whenever he got the ball, and I guess Amp Lee.

I'm also very fond of Pead's running style, and if he gets his head screwed on straight, everyone is going to get in line.

I saw Sanders playing baseball live, but not football. Seeing things live and up close not in nosebleed seats is different than on TV of course. I've never seen anyone run like him.....on a short pop up that most guys would have had to dive to get he was waiting flat footed because he was able to get there so fast and stop. On another play he hit a hard grounder to third and just bolted up the line and was barely thrown out. Most guys would have been a couple of steps away.

He was faaaaaaast.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Ok so what was the article and video actually about. Once I saw Prim I lost focus and became slightly lightheaded.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
I'm very interested in watching RG3 play next year. How does the staff evolve the offense. Do the Redskins try and ride him to the play-offs again by utilizing him like they did last year or do the try and protect their investment.

I would suspect the latter. That then begs the question, how effective will he be a more conventional passer. Not suggesting he wont run at all but they will limit his touches. So with the threat of running wild removed, will he be overwhelmed by coverage schemes etc.