How to solve our OL for 2020

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
We all agree fixing the OL solves a multitude of issues. Better OL equals more Offense, less time Defense is on the field, and most likely not playing from behind as much.

To achieve this here are my suggestions offer Cincy a late pick to secure Corey Glenn rights he had concussion issues but never missed hardly any games and a super solid LT that will NOT break the bank he got 8 5m from Cincy last year. Vs Whit who will cost as much and is alot older vs a group of younger guys on the team currently that are not proven. We need a proven LT.

One other option is to pry Williams out of Wash but what he may want combined with injuries maybe a tough pill to swallow.

Trade a 3 or a 4th rounder for Trai Turner he has gone to 5 straight probowls and will cost a lot but is worth it. Use our #2 or #3 draft pick on the best C.

These three key moves solves everything. With the he combo of other guys our OL is top 10 and much better for Goff and McVays offense

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think the trade option for LT set sail when we traded 2 first round picks for Ramsey. And by extension doing that tells me they think they have a potential answer on the roster, and/or feel they can find a dev option in this draft.

My top OL target at 52 is Austin Jackson, who moves very well and needs dev time on the LT depth chart. But it's dicey he'll make it to us. Josh Jones as well, however I don't think he has a chance to get to us. I would steer clear of Wanogho, at least at 52, because of his knee. Bartch is also in that drop down range, I think he might be in play for us and it's hard to say with OTs too because they get overdrafted.

OG/C is in play at 52 also of course. Seems to me that Ruiz & Cushenberry have sort of elevated themselves out of our range but never know. Hennessy is a very nice option for us at Center and would really help us. I also like Jonah Jackson the more I look at him, he's a nice fit i.e. he moves well. Overall the prob with iOL is that I like the options in round 3 and 4 more than the OTs.

If, for example, they take Jackson at 52 they have a chance to get guys like Harris and Biadasz later.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think the trade option for LT set sail when we traded 2 first round picks for Ramsey. And by extension doing that tells me they think they have a potential answer on the roster, and/or feel they can find a dev option in this draft.

My top OL target at 52 is Austin Jackson, who moves very well and needs dev time on the LT depth chart. But it's dicey he'll make it to us. Josh Jones as well, however I don't think he has a chance to get to us. I would steer clear of Wanogho, at least at 52, because of his knee. Bartch is also in that drop down range, I think he might be in play for us and it's hard to say with OTs too because they get overdrafted.

OG/C is in play at 52 also of course. Seems to me that Ruiz & Cushenberry have sort of elevated themselves out of our range but never know. Hennessy is a very nice option for us at Center and would really help us. I also like Jonah Jackson the more I look at him, he's a nice fit i.e. he moves well. Overall the prob with iOL is that I like the options in round 3 and 4 more than the OTs.

If, for example, they take Jackson at 52 they have a chance to get guys like Harris and Biadasz later.

I literally disagree with everything in this post.

I never said trade a high pick I doubt Turner requires more than a 3rd so your pov makes no sense. Now which would you rather have a 5 time Probowler or a maybe at best?
How have our other OL maybes worked out especially when everyone was crying after this season about letting Saffold go?
Turner is better than Saffold and younger and will cost less initially.

Glenn may even be released my thought is throw a low draft pick at him to secure the rights to getting him so again not sure what your talking about. He will be a 100 miles better than anyone we get in the 5th or 6th rounds. No more hopeful we can coach them up players.

I have seen one mock where Biadiaz was projected in the first round.
No other C has even sniffed the first round. Neitherr Center you mentioned will be chosen before the middle of the second round maybe one goes slightly higher but there are 3-5 bunched up so we should have our pick.

I saw all of Jackson's game and he is a good LT but again we have a ton of potential options why go after him not to mention he is a maybe we need definites not maybes.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Turner sure that’s a good idea that’s been thrown arou d. But two aging, declining and injury prone LT won’t help anything.

Ram65

Legend
Glenn has a $7,500,000 2020 salary and that roster bonus in bold below.
Contract Notes:
  • $36M guaranteed (signing bonus + 2016 salary, 2017 salary)
  • $1.5M of his 2018 salary fully guarantees on 3/11/2017
  • $6.5M of his 2018 salary fully guarantees on 3/16/2018
  • 2017 Roster Bonus: $2M (due 3/13/2017)
  • 2018 Roster Bonus: $2M (due the 3/18/2018)
  • 2019 Roster Bonus: $2M (due 3/17/2019)
  • 2020 Roster Bonus: $2M (due 3/22/2020)
  • Incentives: $5M

Games
Def InterceptionsFumblesTackles
YearAgeTmPosNo.GGSIntYdsTDLngPDFFFmbFRYdsTDSkCombSoloAstTFLQBHitsSftyAV
201223BUFLT7713130.06
201324BUFLT7716160.07
201425BUFLT7716160.07
201526BUFT771616002000.09
201627BUFLT7711110.07
201728BUFt77650.02
201829CINT7713130.07
201930CINt77650.02
Career97950020

If he gets cut maybe the Rams make a prove type deal if they can't resign Whitworth. Gleen has missed games since 2016. He got suspended for game this past year but, that's with the Bungles. I thought he was a decent option but, didn't know about missing games, etc.. Still he may have something to prove.

Turner and the Panthers had a down year. He has missed 3 games each of the past 3 years. He let up 6 sacks this year too. Can't say I've paid him any attention. Speaking of paying, he will get salaries of $8,500,000 and $11,000,000 in the next two years and roster bonuses around 1 Million. I think the Rams would be better served going with the youngsters on the roster and drafting help while keeping their draft picks.

earAgeTmPosNo.GGSAV
201421CARRG701395
2015*22CARRG70161610
2016*23CARRG/rt7016168
2017*24CARRG7013138
2018*25CARRG7013139
2019*26CARG7013136
Career84

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I literally disagree with everything in this post.

I never said trade a high pick I doubt Turner requires more than a 3rd so your pov makes no sense. Now which would you rather have a 5 time Probowler or a maybe at best?
How have our other OL maybes worked out especially when everyone was crying after this season about letting Saffold go?
Turner is better than Saffold and younger and will cost less initially.

Glenn may even be released my thought is throw a low draft pick at him to secure the rights to getting him so again not sure what your talking about. He will be a 100 miles better than anyone we get in the 5th or 6th rounds. No more hopeful we can coach them up players.

I have seen one mock where Biadiaz was projected in the first round.
No other C has even sniffed the first round. Neitherr Center you mentioned will be chosen before the middle of the second round maybe one goes slightly higher but there are 3-5 bunched up so we should have our pick.

I saw all of Jackson's game and he is a good LT but again we have a ton of potential options why go after him not to mention he is a maybe we need definites not maybes.
You might want to load up Turner's 2019 games. Then look at projected 3rd round talent in the draft.

And if you think Biadasz has a chance to go first round... Once again queue up some tape of him and the other iOL.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
No more hopeful we can coach them up players.

Amen; I pray we learned from that debacle.

Really hope we apply the necessary capital to add some muscle to this group. Even though I also really like the potential of some of our young guys, I just think this is how it needs to be--a machine of constant development/youth/quality depth/mixed with dominant starters--in order to contend against NFL front sevens these days.

Takes capital away from other positions, but I don't see any way around it.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
You might want to load up Turner's 2019 games. Then look at projected 3rd round talent in the draft.

And if you think Biadasz has a chance to go first round... Once again queue up some tape of him and the other iOL.

The thing with Turner is after the next to seasons he will bring a 3rd comp pick back when it is all said & done. The cost is the issue. The Rams front office has limited cap space.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The thing with Turner is after the next to seasons he will bring a 3rd comp pick back when it is all said & done. The cost is the issue. The Rams front office has limited cap space.
Sure cost is an issue. But so is how well he has or hasn't been playing. If he's the same guy he was 3 years ago the cost wouldn't be a problem.

Taking a salary dump is one thing. Taking a salary dump when the player is coming off a poor season is another IMO.

dang

Legend
The Rams need interior OL help. Even With their limited $$$$ they should be able to add one good FA. I don’t see them going after anyone but Whit at LT. I hope Whit is up for a one year team friendly contract.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You all can bitch and moan all year about the OL and with good reason, but to compare 5 time pro bowlers like Turner and top tier LT like Glenn to saving money for 3rd round talent is insane.

My biggest saying year in and year out is the Rams go as far as the OL takes them especially with a pocket passer QB.

We need a solid LT if Whit can come back maybe but Glenn will be cheaper and just as effective. He is massively underrated. He hated the team he was on he knows our OL Coord extremely well he used to play for him and he will cost less than Whit who has declining skills at 38.

We need a Thuney, Scherff or Turner period. Scherff looks like he will be tagged. We do not need a maybe.

I know we need ILB, OLB and 5T help but we have a LB oriented DC now who can help there.

The OL needs massive help no shuffling will solve this of the current roster. We have no idea how Noteboom will return to form and he sucked in run blocking anyway and the team was no worse off with Corbett on the left side we need serious upgrades and I have proposed multiple ideas for LT, C, RG or LG. We must bite the bullet and solve this the run game, the play action and Goff pocket comfortability will all dramatically improve.

Ram65

Legend
You all can bitch and moan all year about the OL and with good reason, but to compare 5 time pro bowlers like Turner and top tier LT like Glenn to saving money for 3rd round talent is insane.
My biggest saying year in and year out is the Rams go as far as the OL takes them especially with a pocket passer QB.
We need a solid LT if Whit can come back maybe but Glenn will be cheaper and just as effective. He is massively underrated. He hated the team he was on he knows our OL Coord extremely well he used to play for him and he will cost less than Whit who has declining skills at 38.

Malibu you never addressed the fact that both players have regressed in recent years as well as have missed games. Turner with 6 sacks allowed this past year. I posted the sack total and games played. I would not go by pro bowls much anymore to put a value on a player. Here are what Panther fans are saying about Turner being shopped:

He--even when he did not play well--kept making the pro bowl. Maybe a team will bite---

Got lazy and out of shape after he got paid. Can’t blame the team for this move.

His play took a nose dive once he got his contract.
He is solid but nothing more at this time unfortunatly.

If this is true, WTF would Cam even want to be here? Trai looked like crap but he was the 2nd best crap we had. Cam will get killed and to be on a one year deal? All you Cam fans really want him playing through a total rebuild with no long term deal?

100 percent okay with this . I like Trai but he settled for being solid instead of great once that check cleared

Hrm. Don’t know how to feel about this. Only frees up $3.3mil and he’s arguably our best OL even if he’s not as good as he used to be. Will wait and see. Can’t imagine we’d get a ton in return in a trade either...maybe a player for player trade would work out best...

Him and KK started eating good once they got paid. Both have been overweight and injury prone since 2015.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The cap numbers I posted up top would put these two depending on who pays the bonuses at 7.5 Million plus 8.5 Million without bonuses. Glenn is going to get cut anyway because I don't see a team trading for him with his salary and missing 23 starts out of 48 in the last three years and 5 missed four years ago. He is not reliable. He is a LT though and I might consider a prove-it deal if the Rams can't resign Whitworth as I stated before. He would have to compete for a starter position.
The Rams are already paying Havenstein who also looked overweight and out of shape after getting paid. I don't see them having an interest in Turner.

I get it. We are all trying to come up with ideas to help get the Rams offensive line back to being a solid unit that can protect Goff and open holes for Gurley. I thought Glenn was a good idea a month ago or so but, I didn't look deeper into his recent past.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Trade for Turner and sign McGovern. This would be huge. Maybe they could tag and trade one of their top two free agents to get Turner

SIAP by another member. I didn’t read through the whole thread

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You sound like you're getting bent out of shape over a very basic conversation here.

We could trade a 3rd round pick for a subpar player who was a good player before he got paid and take on a contract he did not earn last season.

OR

We can keep that 3rd round pick in a very deep draft and pay a FA who DID play well last season.

Not really worth gettin all huffy about IMO.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Two top OL problems:

#1). Currently, who is the Rams starting LT?

This issue is NOT resolved @ this point.
Rams do have 2 signed LT's ....Noteboom is signed but still rehabbing & has big health issues. Bobby Evans never played a regular season down @ LT in his rookie season.

#2). Center has very big questions involved.

Rams have 2 signed centers Brain Allen & Nate Trewyn. Allen is still rehabbing.

Kromer has both later half 2019 starting OG's returning in full health (Austin Corbett & David Edwards). 6th OL'er swing OG Chandler Brewer is also returning to take up his 2019 OL position. Rams also signed swing OG Jeremiah Kolone who will enter his 3rd Rams training Camp this year. OG is not a problem.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0h2Wk6-C_I

Ram65

Legend
Last edited:

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I don't know whether the Rams will trade for any OL with hefty contracts....just not enough money. Snead seems to believe a deal will get done with Whitworth. Blythe? He said "we're in negotiations". He also said though Noteboom and Allen's injuries were unfortunate and slows their development, it won't affect their future with the Rams. He was very positive over the performances of Edwards, Evans and Corbett.

I think it's pretty safe to say they'll draft an OL but I don't know if it'll be at 52. As far as 'affordable free agent OL' there aren't many available. Its probably Whifworth with an eye towards sliding a young guy in there in 2021.

They're going to revamp the defensive roster IMHO.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
@PARAM

What is your thoughts on how they will go about revamping our Def? Just curious

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Two top OL problems:

#1). Currently, who is the Rams starting LT?

This issue is NOT resolved @ this point.
Rams do have 2 signed LT's ....Noteboom is signed but still rehabbing & has big health issues. Bobby Evans never played a regular season down @ LT in his rookie season.

#2). Center has very big questions involved.

Rams have 2 signed centers Brain Allen & Nate Trewyn. Allen is still rehabbing.

Kromer has both later half 2019 starting OG's returning in full health (Austin Corbett & David Edwards). 6th OL'er swing OG Chandler Brewer is also returning to take up his 2019 OL position. Rams also signed swing OG Jeremiah Kolone who will enter his 3rd Rams training Camp this year. OG is not a problem.
I'm starting to suspect the Rams are targeting their LT of the future in this skilled OT draft Boni. Of course at 52 there is no telling whether the guy they want will be on the board. Probably gonna be dicey with other positions having higher value, but all things being equal I think they take the OT if one they like is there because those guys are just that hard to find.

Would they trade up? I find that hard to imagine but I agree with you that this is a significant issue on the roster so maybe they would if the guy they want gets to the 40s or whatever.

Who would their target/s be at 52 at OT? I assume Lucas Niang and Josh Jones are off the board but if not either of them would be taken immediately. Guys who I think have a reasonable chance to be there are Austin Jackson, Prince Wanogho (his knee scares the F out of me), and Ben Bartch (strong senior bowl but like the other two needs some dev time).

I'm a USC fan so I've seen a lot of Jackson. He's stiff but I feel like he's got the upside we could use at the position. That said he needs dev time. Gonna put up a vid of him vs BYU where you get a good feel for who he is vs the usual college competition:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UjhLt_Prxw

And here's a vid of him vs Iowa where he draws Epenesa who is like matching up vs an NFL end (he struggles):

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ssy0Xffj8K4

Here's Bartch who played DIII level so yeah the competition isn't too great:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YukSJshBf84

However Bartch did have a strong week of practice and definitely belonged:

Wanogho has more upside, might end up really being something at this level but like these other two needs dev time:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1D3osm0qgE

And vs a very good LSU defense:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tdm2laryn0A

Again not sure who's going when and OTs get drafted higher than they should as we all know. But those are the guys who roughly fall in that range looking at some different lists.