How the Rams got a steal in FS Randolph...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Enjoy!

[theramswire.usatoday.com]

The Rams seem to find some quality talent in undrafted free agents like safety

Rodney McLeod, wide receiver Bradley Marquez, linebacker Daren Bates and cornerback Marcus Roberson.

Now, the Los Angeles Rams and fans alike should get excited to watch who’s next: Former Tennessee safety Brian Randolph.

For whatever reason, Randolph had to hear 253 other names come off the draft board two months ago. Now he’s an option to replace McLeod at free safety after showing excellent promise and leadership.

brianrandolph2.jpg

Credit: Christopher Hanewinckel-USA TODAY Sports

Randolph’s numbers should make the Rams excited. He tallied 310 tackles in his five-year career, as well as eight interceptions,13 passes defensed, and four forced fumbles.

The guy has a nose for the football and above-average closing speed. He played single-deep safety often in Knoxville — a scheme the Rams occasionally deploy on defense. And his high football IQ suggests he’ll be able to get the rest of the Rams playbook down pat.

He also has a bit of a mean streak.

Just listen to Vols’ defensive coordinator John Janeck rave to Dustin Dopirak of KnoxNews.com about his former standout safety.

“He means so much to our defense, He makes so many checks. He solves so many problems for us. … He just does a fantastic job back there.”

The presence of fourth-year pro Cody Davis and third-year pro Mo Alexander should help his case. The two have combined for only a career total of 66 tackles in their seven years in the league combined.

Randolph simply shouldn’t be written off. He could very well already be the second most talented safety on the roster, behind only starting strong safety T.J. McDonald.

The Rams committed UDFA robbery. Randolph is a steal who could help their secondary almost instantaneously.

JC-3

UDFA
Name
JC-3
Enjoy!

Rodney McLeod, wide receiver Bradley Marquez, linebacker Daren Bates and cornerback Marcus Roberson.

Now, the Los Angeles Rams and fans alike should get excited to watch who’s next: Former Tennessee safety Brian Randolph.

For whatever reason, Randolph had to hear 253 other names come off the draft board two months ago. Now he’s an option to replace McLeod at free safety after showing excellent promise and leadership.

brianrandolph2.jpg

Randolph’s numbers should make the Rams excited. He tallied 310 tackles in his five-year career, as well as eight interceptions,13 passes defensed, and four forced fumbles.

The guy has a nose for the football and above-average closing speed. He played single-deep safety often in Knoxville — a scheme the Rams occasionally deploy on defense. And his high football IQ suggests he’ll be able to get the rest of the Rams playbook down pat.

Just listen to Vols’ defensive coordinator John Janeck rave to Dustin Dopirak of KnoxNews.com about his former standout safety.

“He means so much to our defense, He makes so many checks. He solves so many problems for us. … He just does a fantastic job back there.”

The presence of fourth-year pro Cody Davis and third-year pro Mo Alexander should help his case. The two have combined for only a career total of 66 tackles in their seven years in the league combined.

Randolph simply shouldn’t be written off. He could very well already be the second most talented safety on the roster, behind only starting strong safety T.J. McDonald.

The Rams committed UDFA robbery. Randolph is a steal who could help their secondary almost instantaneously.

Very nice post, Coach! Thanks!

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Everything we read about the guy suggests steal, but I'll still want to see it translated to the field as we are kinda used to pre-season hype around here. If all the draftees live up to their billing, and just one UDFA like Randolph shines, this will be a truly remarkable draft. jmo

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Remember the Ray Ray Armstrong hype?:snicker:

I'm as excited about Randolph as the next guy, but we should probably dial it back a notch until he actually does something.

*Side note: The author failed to list our most EXCELENT free agent of all time- Johnny Hekker!!

:rant:punters are people, too!

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Remember the Ray Ray Armstrong hype?
Yes...his hype was well founded...however, Ray Ray....I'm like @CoachO , I hate calling him that now. LOL....Armstrong was going through a position switch. He was playing well on ST...At LB, he was terrible....Probably the position switch. I see a whole lot of differences...Randolph played in 5 seasons at Tennessee. Randolph is a good student. Randolph appears to have NO character issues. Randolph has real life measureables....4.4 speed. 31 reps on the bench...And his tape shows a real player...in one of the toughest conferences in college football. He's played against several pro-bowl players. I'm sure he's faced Gurley....Probably faced Odell B., Landry, Cooper, and many other SEC great wrs....
I was one of the main people hyping Ray Ray....once he ran that 4.7....I should have known...in fact, it's one of the reasons I don't have a lot of faith in Duke Williams....perhaps he's outta shape...In fact, I'd compare Duke to Ray Ray.....And I like Duke...but not as much as Marquez North....or Randolph....

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Enjoy!

brianrandolph2.jpg

He definitely going to be a player to keep an eye on in mini camp and pre season!!

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Yes...his hype was well founded...however, Ray Ray....I'm like @CoachO , I hate calling him that now. LOL....Armstrong was going through a position switch. He was playing well on ST...At LB, he was terrible....Probably the position switch. I see a whole lot of differences...Randolph played in 5 seasons at Tennessee. Randolph is a good student. Randolph appears to have NO character issues. Randolph has real life measureables....4.4 speed. 31 reps on the bench...And his tape shows a real player...in one of the toughest conferences in college football. He's played against several pro-bowl players. I'm sure he's faced Gurley....Probably faced Odell B., Landry, Cooper, and many other SEC great wrs....
I was one of the main people hyping Ray Ray....once he ran that 4.7....I should have known...in fact, it's one of the reasons I don't have a lot of faith in Duke Williams....perhaps he's outta shape...In fact, I'd compare Duke to Ray Ray.....And I like Duke...but not as much as Marquez North....or Randolph....
I agree with your excitement about Randolph. I saw his video and thought, "How was this guy not a first or second rounder?"

My comment about Ray Ray was not to compare the two players by any stretch. Just to compare our penchant, as fans, to go overboard, and set ourselves up for disappointment.

I think the Rams are loaded at DB, and will rival the Seachickens and Cardinals for best in the division at DB.

Ram65

Legend

Thanks LA CHAMP46 ..Had to check those impressive numbers. He is a very colorful character that has lots of confidence....The link shows him bench pressing at his pro day bottom video in the article. Very strong upper body. Note that he says jokingly he could run 4.7 backwards.

http://tennessee.247sports.com/Arti...-at-Tennessee-Vols-footballs-Pro-Day-44554541

Randolph turns heads at Tennessee's Pro Day
Tennessee Newsletter
Brian Randolph has no idea why people think he’s slow, but many people seem to think the former Tennessee safety is slow.

6_4435244.jpg

Former Tennessee safety Brian Randolph benchpresses during the Vols' Pro Timing Day. (Photo: Michael Patrick, Knoxville News Sentinel)
They shouldn't think that anymore.

Randolph, who played in 53 games and started 47 times during his college career, helped his NFL Draft stock with a 4.40-second 40-yard dash at Wednesday’s annual Pro Timing Day in the Anderson Training Center.

The 6-foot, 210-pound Randolph showed his strength, too, with 31 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press — only defensive tackle Owen Williams (42) and offensive lineman Kyler Kerbyson (32) had more — but his speed was the biggest thing on his mind heading into Wednesday. Mission accomplished.

“Man, they wanted to see speed, and I tried to tell ‘em,” Randolph said. “I don’t know where they got their numbers from, but it was a bunch of nonsense. People were saying 4.7. I was like, ‘Man, I could run a 4.7 in fifth grade.’ I’m glad I got to prove that wrong.

“I didn’t have no pressure. I was supposed to run a 4.7. I mean, I probably could have backpedaled a 4.7. There was no pressure. It was just fun.”

Randolph, who finished his Tennessee career with 310 tackles, eight interceptions, four forced fumbles and 13 pass breakups, said he also was pleased his 33-inch vertical leap and 4.28-second shuttle run times.

“People were saying I was un-athletic, too, so I wanted to prove ‘em wrong on that, too,” the Atlanta-area native said. “I believed my times did that.”

(What's next for the Vols? Make sure you're in the loop — take five seconds to sign up for our FREE Vols newsletter now!)

7_4434754.jpg

(Photo: Wes Rucker, 247Sports)
The always-confident, never-bashful Randolph called his shot Tuesday night, guaranteeing to GoVols247 and others that he would get 30-plus reps on the bench and run the 40 in the 4.4-second range.

“I was trying to get 37 (reps) for you, but I had to put it down,” Randolph said. “I didn’t want to get too tired. I had to run the 40. If that’s all we were doing today, I would have got 37 for y’all. I’ve always been strong. God blessed me with the strength of Samson. That’s why I don’t cut my hair no more.

“There ain’t nothing wrong with my shoulders. I’ve been smacking people for five years, and they’ve been holding up.”

Randolph said he hoped NFL teams learned a lesson last season when they passed over former Vols defensive back Justin Coleman in the draft and watched Coleman become a reliable contributor to the New England Patriots as a rookie.

“I hope the teams see they made a mistake with Justin Coleman,” Randolph said. “Hopefully he opened their eyes for me, too. I don’t think teams want to let another athlete from here fall through the cracks like he did.”

Randolph isn’t necessarily projected to be selected in the upcoming seven-round draft, but multiple sources around the Tennessee program and NFL have told GoVols247 that a late-round selection is possible.

The longtime anchor on Tennessee’s back line said he plans to play in the NFL for years, but he added with a smile that he also post-football plans, regardless.

Randolph has a management degree from Tennessee and played his final season as a graduate student, but he said with a smile that his post-football options are … well … limitless.

“I’m a bowler, I’m a dancer, I’m a singer. I do it all,” said Randolph, who unusual bowling style turned into an internet sensation during the Vols’ trip to Tampa for the Outback Bowl. “There’s golfing, too. I’m the best golfer.”

Follow
@GrantRamey

✔@GrantRamey

31 for Brian Randolph on the bench. They call him Hercules, he screams.

9:08 AM - 30 Mar 2016

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Remember the Ray Ray Armstrong hype?:snicker:

I'm as excited about Randolph as the next guy, but we should probably dial it back a notch until he actually does something.

*Side note: The author failed to list our most EXCELENT free agent of all time- Johnny Hekker!!

:rant:punters are people, too!
Ray Ray was a "One HIT wonder" (pun intended) .Nobody ever claimed that he had football IQ, ball awareness or even work ethic and leadership. Ray Ray's claim to fame was physical attributes and the ability to deliver the knock out blow. And his knuckleheadedness continued, which is why he is no longer with us :)

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Dontcha just love this time of year. All the rookies are future stars.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
So how does this guy slip that far in the draft? What are we not seeing because I like what I see on tape. He may be a personal foul machine early on because he seems to love to hit big but that can be tamed somewhat right? So what are we missing?

…..

Legend
I rarely buy into the hype machine.

This one is different. I'm fully invested at this point.