How much do you tip?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TXRams86

The Infamous
Morning fellas! This was a hot topic on a local morning show and it got me thinking about my 'tipping policy'. The specific scenario I'm looking to discuss is tipping for food service - fast food, sit down restaurant, food delivery. How much do you tip?

My view on things: I will tip based on the service I received. I don't follow the 'minimum rule' of 10-15%, I tip according to the level of service I received but my tip will never be 0. If my bill was $5 or $50 and my service was excellent, I won't hesitate to drop a $20-30 tip. If my service sucked, I'd leave maybe $2 on the $5 bill or $5 on the $50 bill. I'll leave a few bucks when I pick up my food to-go and I almost never tip when I'm picking up fast food. I also tend to tip more at local restaurants.

Also, I don't feel like it's my responsibility as a customer and consumer to tip enough for the server to make a livable wage - that's the employer's responsibility. These restaurants who pay their service workers $2-3 an hour and justify doing so by saying 'they'll make it up in tips' is a crock of shit and only benefits the restaurant. In no way does it benefit the employee and in no way does it benefit the customer or consumer. And by all accounts it seems like this practice is a US thing and is very uncommon in other countries.

So folks, what are you thoughts on tipping and how much do you tip?

Psycho_X

Legend
I always tip if someone is waiting on me so mostly sit down restaurants. 10-15% if service sucks but i still get my food/drinks, 15-20% for average service, 20-25% for a waitress who kicks ass (ie-drinks never empty, freebies replenished without asking like bread, etc). I very rarely deviate from that and can only think of a handful of times in my life where I did less than 15%. Only once left no tip because the guy was an asshole and my tip was not punching him in the face.

I don't tip if I walk into a place to pick up a carry out order or go through a drive thru. In my mind I don't understand why that deserves a tip. Like Starbucks... no I'm not going to tip you for handing me a drink out the window. I have tipped local restaurants during the pandemic when I pick up carry out though for support in these times. But traditionally I do not for carry out.

I live in a rural america so door dash and that sort of thing isn't something I've ever used or feel the need to but I'd assume something like that I'd follow my regular tipping rules.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've always been told I tip too much but I appreciate the service if it's good and I show it. If it's a place I enjoy and the service/food was good I'll tip 30%+ sometimes and I'm weird I usually round it up to even dollars so it drives it up a little bit more. The other day lunch for 2 of us was like $25 and change and left $35. They appreciate it and two things happen. They're mood is increased a bit and the next people service might be a little better. And two they remember you and keep giving you good service. Pay it forward IMO.

TXRams86

The Infamous
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I always tip if someone is waiting on me so mostly sit down restaurants. 10-15% if service sucks but i still get my food/drinks, 15-20% for average service, 20-25% for a waitress who kicks ass (ie-drinks never empty, freebies replenished without asking like bread, etc). I very rarely deviate from that and can only think of a handful of times in my life where I did less than 15%. Only once left no tip because the guy was an asshole and my tip was not punching him in the face.

I don't tip if I walk into a place to pick up a carry out order or go through a drive thru. In my mind I don't understand why that deserves a tip. Like Starbucks... no I'm not going to tip you for handing me a drink out the window. I have tipped local restaurants during the pandemic when I pick up carry out though for support in these times. But traditionally I do not for carry out.

I live in a rural america so door dash and that sort of thing isn't something I've ever used or feel the need to but I'd assume something like that I'd follow my regular tipping rules.

Starbucks was the drive thru place that the local morning show kept bringing up and I'm right there with you. I don't go to Starbucks because their coffee is overpriced and crap but if I did I wouldn't tip. Also, I continue to tip really generously at local restaurants, even if it's a to go order. I saw far too many really good local places close down so I try to support those still standing as much as I can. Their employees tend to be paid better too when compared to service workers at corporate chains.

TXRams86

The Infamous
I've always been told I tip too much but I appreciate the service if it's good and I show it. If it's a place I enjoy and the service/food was good I'll tip 30%+ sometimes and I'm weird I usually round it up to even dollars so it drives it up a little bit more. The other day lunch for 2 of us was like $25 and change and left $35. They appreciate it and two things happen. They're mood is increased a bit and the next people service might be a little better. And two they remember you and keep giving you good service. Pay it forward IMO.
I've never thought of it that way, good call out. It's always nice going back to a place and the server going out of their way to seat you and tend to your table because you tipped well the time before. We experienced this a few months ago at a local burger joint. We went every week for like 3 weeks and we had the same server every time, he was great. He even comp'd my step daughter a small handmade shake (50's style burger joint place so you get the idea) and it totally made her day. Glad to know they're expanding to a second location.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've never thought of it that way, good call out. It's always nice going back to a place and the server going out of their way to seat you and tend to your table because you tipped well the time before. We experienced this a few months ago at a local burger joint. We went every week for like 3 weeks and we had the same server every time, he was great. He even comp'd my step daughter a small handmade shake (50's style burger joint place so you get the idea) and it totally made her day. Glad to know they're expanding to a second location.
Yeah it's little stuff like that. I took a few friends from out of town to a breakfast place I like and got a regular server. She didn't charge for any of the coffees and after my friend looked at me and asked how often I went there knowing we got some freebies. It's just the little things that are appreciated.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Yeah only if someone is actually bringing me my food and has to clean up afterwards. I base my tips on the amount of food I order. Usually its just me and a small order so I go at most 5 bucks. If I'm with some people we'll all split and go anywhere $10 - $20.

The worst is giving a tip at the register for food you end up picking up. I'm not gonna tip for someone entering my order into the computer. Also, I'm not tipping the guy walking 3 feet from the door to my car if there is curbside.

I never do delivery, you gotta tip the driver, the store, AND put up with the delivery fees. So a $10 meal cost me close to $20+. Screw that. I prefer carryout over anything.

Tipping is just a weird concept and I'm not a fan of it. Pay the employees a livable wage. Jeez.

TXRams86

The Infamous
Yeah only if someone is actually bringing me my food and has to clean up afterwards. I base my tips on the amount of food I order. Usually its just me and a small order so I go at most 5 bucks. If I'm with some people we'll all split and go anywhere $10 - $20.

The worst is giving a tip at the register for food you end up picking up. I'm not gonna tip for someone entering my order into the computer. Also, I'm not tipping the guy walking 3 feet from the door to my car if there is curbside.

I never do delivery, you gotta tip the driver, the store, AND put up with the delivery fees. So a $10 meal cost me close to $20+. Screw that. I prefer carryout over anything.

Tipping is just a weird concept and I'm not a fan of it. Pay the employees a livable wage. Jeez.
Yep, whole heartedly agree. The entire concept as it exists in the US is a crock of shit.

Psycho_X

Legend
Also, I continue to tip really generously at local restaurants, even if it's a to go order. I saw far too many really good local places close down so I try to support those still standing as much as I can.
Yeah it kind of depends on the place. There is a local pizza place that only does carry out or delivery and it's amazing pizza (no indoor seating). So I'll throw a few extra bucks on the bill when I pick it up because it's literally just the owner who is an awesome guy and a couple workers in that hot little store making pizzas all day. But getting carry out at Chilis or Papa Johns or something like that I never leave a tip.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
This is comfortably the weirdest thing Americans do btw. We all laugh at it. Like it's genuinely a standing joke. I worked in a hotel years ago as a student and an American tourist tipped me ÂŁ90 for carrying his suitcase up to the 2nd floor. That's like $150+ for 2 minutes work. Mental behaviour.

We do tip in the UK but we would generally leave nothing for poor service and that wouldn't be an issue. Lots of places here now put 10% service charge on the bill and I actually prefer that. If the service is shit I'll ask them to remove it.

I also will leave a small tip for a barber and for a taxi driver but generally not any other time. And definitely not for picking up a coffee.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
These restaurants who pay their service workers $2-3 an hour and justify doing so by saying 'they'll make it up in tips' is a crock of shit and only benefits the restaurant. In no way does it benefit the employee and in no way does it benefit the customer or consumer.
As someone who has worked all sides of the restaurant industry, I have to disagree with you here.

First off, what you will find is that in most states where there is a lower service wage, you will find that the restaurant is able to pay more employees that serve the customer. That generally means better service to the customer.

Also, one of the toughest things to control in order to make even a modest profit, is labor. Not very many restaurant owners are laughing their way to the bank off the backs of their underpaid wait staff. Wait staff that has better support will generally make better tips and won't be as stressed. Customers that don't just see their server blow by them, are better served.

The federal tipped wage may be too low. But we could get into a bigger debate about ANY kind of broadly set rate. Clearly cost of living is not broadly set so...

But if you are working for a good restaurant and kicking ass, making $40-60 per hour on tips is not uncommon at all. Even in our small town, our servers were making $30 per hour (wage+tips) and that was based on them claiming the minimum 8% - less than half what they were actually making. Keep in mind, we didn't have a server wage, so at the time, about $9 of that was hourly wage.

Now... Back to me tipping. I have a somewhat set amount of 20%. I will go down to 10-15% for shitty service but there has to be something remarkably shitty about the meal or what the server did/didn't do.

Around Christmas, it's not unusual for me to tip 50% and wish the server happy holidays.

If the server is outstanding, I will add that to the 20%.

So in general, my minimum is 20% and it goes up or down from there. Generally significantly up. I'm not usually a grumpy customer, so I tend to get a good back and forth with the server. Eating out should be fun and you should make it fun for everyone else.

For delivery, it's generally 20% - but again, more around the holidays. If I'm picking up, I will throw in a few bucks but not much. Except when Covid was forcing them to do pick up only. Back to 20.

I don't do drive up coffee and I don't tip for fast food.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
I'm California, wait staff is paid minimum wage of State law, which is $14 per hour, plus tips. Bad service, I won't tip anything and will leave a note suggesting what the wait staff could do to improve service (ie not visiting the table to check on drinks, not stating order was misplaced when others get their food first, orders coming out wrong and not helping to make corrections, etc.).

Good service 15%, great service up to 30%.

I am probably a minority and disagree that waiting tables should be a career and pay as such. It doesn't take a high school degree to perform at a high level. Be courteous, smile, be honest and you will make good money.

norcalramfan

Starter
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Standard for me is 20%. Can go as low as 10% for poor service. Outstanding service gets them 25%.

Tano

Legend
George Costanza Seinfeld GIF

Just kidding

I always wanted to post that GIF :)

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Most women want more than just the tip. Seriously though, I like to reward good service as I live in an area so small I see the waitstaff often. I usually tip 20-30 percent. If the service is terrible I’ll sometimes go 10 percent. If I have to bus the table myself it’s 5 percent. If it’s someone I know who is just going through a tough time it’s 30 or more percent no matter what the service is.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I'm typically a 20% guy. As long as service is good. I never blame the server for my food. I do blame her for empty drinks.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I prefer to tip big.

TIP stands for ... to ensure promptness. You used to give the tip as soon as you sat down for that reason.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I am probably a minority and disagree that waiting tables should be a career and pay as such. It doesn't take a high school degree to perform at a high level. Be courteous, smile, be honest and you will make good money.
There are numerous careers that don't take a HS degree. Mechanic, welder, landscaper, many govt jobs, etc...

A good server knows their shit probably more than many college grads. They also work harder than a vast majority of grads I know.

I get that college grads are going to start higher in the food chain most times. But choosing the service industry shouldn't proclude you from making a living wage if you're good at it and that is what you want to do.

I know guys n gals making very good livings waiting tables and bartending. They are bright and energetic. They could no doubt have chosen a different career path. But they like what they do because they are people people and make good money.

The idea that you need a degree of some sort is required for a person to make a decent living is honestly abhorrent to me. You are either providing a needed/wanted service or you're not. If you're good at your job, you should make whatever your market dictates.

Granted, that is not always the case. But to say people shouldn't choose the service industry - tipped workers in particular - as a career really downplays a huge population of hard working people.

I think the real problem in our industry has been that you constantly hear from people, " X amount for a meal? Why I could make it at my house for 1/4 the price.". Many people seriously undervalue the cost of putting that meal on a plate. Good luck if you want a restaurant owner to pay that cash vs using the tip system. You'd end up with really shitty servers and outrageously priced meals.

I get that other countries don't have this system and it works. And I'll admit to being ignorant on how they make it work. But we're already down that road. And given our service economy and tax system, I'd really like to hear how that change could be made.

Personally, I go out to eat probably more than I should. I actually like tipping. I feel it is an honest reward system for a job well done.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I prefer to tip big.

TIP stands for ... to ensure promptness. You used to give the tip as soon as you sat down for that reason.
I don't put a tip down to start. That sounds like showing your hand in poker. :sunglasses:

Most of our regular places though know how we take care of them and if they don't, they soon will.

I want a fun and friendly atmosphere and will pay for it. But a bitch or dick will not get the benefit of the doubt.

I want them to take the initiative. Kinda like my wife. :evil:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I always tip at least the average. Considering that I've worked in food service, it feels...wrong not to tip at least the average, even if the service isn't good. People serving could be having a bad day. I don't know their life, so I always tip the average, more if they're exceptional.