How much do teams talk, and trust each other draft day?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Okay...

Suppose Cleveland wants Manziel. Do teams have open dialogue to gauge each other in the spirit of minimizing the need to trade? Sort of like a gentlemen's agreement.

"Here's who we want. What are you doing?"

I suppose teams will always maneuver close to their chest, with hope of exploiting each other, and this degree of conversation is not possible?

iced

Okay...

Suppose Cleveland wants Manziel. Do teams have open dialogue to gauge each other in the spirit of minimizing the need to trade? Sort of like a gentlemen's agreement.

I suppose teams will always maneuver close to their chest, with hope of exploiting each other, and this degree of conversation is not possible?

ongoing working relationships and inter office connections i believe play a huge role - like Snead and the Atlanta connection, Holmgren claiming we screwed them via trade (He was seattle's head coach for awhile, instant rival lol)

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm sure they are pretty straight up without playing all their cards. Holmgren is a shifty fuck. I don't think we screwed him. I think he needed to save face so he acted butt hurt. You are not going to be able to make deals for long if you are lying to people's faces.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I'm sure they are pretty straight up without playing all their cards. Holmgren is a shifty fuck. I don't think we screwed him. I think he needed to save face so he acted butt hurt. You are not going to be able to make deals for long if you are lying to people's faces.
I agree, and it was a pretty good strategy.

If RG3 ends up being worth Washington's price, then oh, Holmgren would have totally taken him. It's just that those mean old Rams hate him.

If he ends up a flop (which seems likelier now), then Holmgren could claim that of course he was interested given the hype, but some instinct made him hold back from pulling the trigger, and thus he saved the franchise.

Win-win.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Okay...

Ah I think any group of thirty two has cliques so some can and some can't trust each other.
If their interests don't seem to conflict they are truthful but if you are asking in reference to the top 5 or 6 and those that are jockeying for the ability to get particular players ,they can trust each other like male wolves in mating season.
But FWIW they all lie so they don't hold it against one another after the "mating season " is over unless they are big cry babies like the "Cowardly Lion" .
That'd be my guess.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I thought that it was always top secret stuff. Then I read that every team in the league knew that Seattle was going to take Russel Wilson by round 3. Now Seattle must have known that nobody else had him graded as high s they did, because if they knew that every other team was aware of their plan, then they could have panicked and taken him earlier. So it must be more open than I thought.

Conversely, when Snead gambled and traded back with Chicago, thinking he could still get Wagner or Kendricks, he must not have thought that the Eagles and Seahawks were interested.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I have to wonder how honest they can be without being accused of collusion, haven't they been held as guilty of that once already ?