How much did relocation affect the team?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
I'm sure it didn't help, but why make matters worse giving away a home game to London?

I realize it was part of the relocation deal, but it's an example of putting something above winning. 1 game is a big friggin deal and winners understand that.

The Rams need to prioritize winning. That's a culture thing and it's hard to change because it extends beyond the product we see on the field.
You notice the teams that give home games to London are teams that don't win a lot of games. It's good business I guess, but it's bad football. Giving away a home game is horrible.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Relocation wasn't a problem when we were 3-1. That's all I have to say about that.
Only thing missing from this is a mic drop

Its total nonsense. Historically speaking, the numbers how that there isn't a discernible difference. Some teams record is better after the move, some worse and some won the same amount of games

I think relocation is tougher now than it was fifteen +years ago. The game is more complex, players work out year round and more time than ever is spent working on their game. The move had to be disruptive to that routine.

Throw in that they moved from St. Louis to L.A.. They suddenly had a knew home in a city with a ton of distractions. It had to be a big adjustment.
And conversely, I think it's easier now than 15 years ago. The players don't live where the home team plays, and with the increase in salary, and with modern convenience, its easier to move. Also, with the new rules on off season workouts, players spend less off season time at the facilities then ever.
Lastly, how many new players in the last 2 years? They aren't "used to" to facilities yet, for the rookies, it was their first TC so they wouldn't know the difference. Keenum has played for many teams, shouldn't be an adjustment for him.

Last edited:

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I would cut and fire any player or coach who even hinted that the move was disruptive to the point that it made their game worse. They had many months to adjust. "Oh, my, how am I ever going to get my training schedule back on track?!!" Seriously? They had the same equipment, trainers, workout routine, hours in the day, etc. All the players had rams assistants and other people to help specifically make the move smooth. I'd tell everyone that if you couldn't handle the move, even with the move assistance, and thats why youre playing or coaching like shit 7 months later, then you're fired.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
I think made the difference between 3-1 and 4-0.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
I think the move was a big deal. If you asked players they'd probably agree. However, to me the biggest factor is due to the development of a losing culture. I made this point in other threads, but most of these guys have played only for Fisher and his current staff. We have really no veteran leadership that came from somewhere else. Most of our veterans started with Fisher. We keep churning the roster ending up with the youngest team in the league. This has proven to be a disaster. When Fisher did develop a good player, he would end up bolting to a better team once he was eligible for free agency.

We kept hearing all season long practice went great, during the week, but it didn't extend to the game. Coaches and players, within a losing culture, can become blinded by what is considered good when in reality it isn't. Also, do they really know what is considered "good?" A team who is winning places a higher level of what is and what is not acceptable in their performance. Where is this team's level of acceptance? I'm willing to bet if our players watched what winning teams did to prepare each week they'd be shocked at the difference. (I'd like to hear Jenkins and Long talk about the difference between their experience with the Rams and now where they are.) I just don't believe this team was properly prepared to play each week, and it's the fault of both coaches and players.

With the hiring of a new HC and his staff, we will see if this team's woes, over the past 5 years, was a product of poor talent or poor preparation. I think it's definitely a combination of both. Looking forward to a new era in 2017 with hopes of being competitive rather than the continued doormat.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
For anyone thinking the move was a factor, what exactly are the reasons? Its easy to generalize and say, oh yeah, a move of a couple thousand miles made a difference but it's not the 1860s. The only redskins, no offense intended, that would kill them, are from DC. Did they not have the same playbook to study? The same weights to lift? Did they miss any practice? Did their coaches or coaching change? What the fuck is so debilitating that they sucked AFTER a 3 and 1 start?

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just moved last week after being in the same home 21 years. It was brutal. The worst part was leaving an 1,800 SF home to a smaller 1,300 SF home and my wife not wanting to get rid of anything. So, do I get divorced or do I roll with it and get a couple of storage lockers? Got the storage lockers and will quietly give crap to Goodwill on the sly. Ha!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not as much as fisher trying to be the players friends or the following list of loser draft picks by Snead since 2012. -- Quick-pead-Bailey - rock Watkins -b McGee. C givens T mason M van dyke Mike Sam. D rahney A green. G Robinson. A whose who of losers busts and nobodies.
Fisher had roster control his entire time with the Rams.

Todd59

Rookie
I'm not sure, but were the players and coaches asked to load up all the equipment into their own cars and drive cross country? Players have to travel from their homes to training camp every year. Location shouldn't have made a difference. I'd say the biggest problem this year for this team is a coaching staff that can't develop players.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I could see a temporary, short impact.

But they did get to 3-1. To reconcile what happened after that with the move doesn't compute with my brain.

If it were such a shock, they'd have come out of the gate bad and remained bad...slowly improving as the season (and new locale) sunk in.

But the opposite occurred.

Nah, relo wasn't the main issue here... I think we know what was.

FRO

Legend
I could see a temporary, short impact.

But they did get to 3-1. To reconcile what happened after that with the move doesn't compute with my brain.

If it were such a shock, they'd have come out of the gate bad and remained bad...slowly improving as the season (and new locale) sunk in.

But the opposite occurred.

Nah, relo wasn't the main issue here... I think we know what was.
They were 3-1 but never came out of the gate good. If the team were 8-8 an argument maybe could be made that relocation was a factor in not making the playoffs. This is just a bad football team this year.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
The move didnt have as much to do with the w/l record as the inept O. If the O would have been even average, you know get a few 1st downs/ drive not / qtr, move the ball and give the D a breather. The D would not have been worn down at the 6 game mark if they hadnt played 12 games worth of snaps.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I'm sure it didn't help, but why make matters worse giving away a home game to London?

I realize it was part of the relocation deal, but it's an example of putting something above winning. 1 game is a big friggin deal and winners understand that.

The Rams need to prioritize winning. That's a culture thing and it's hard to change because it extends beyond the product we see on the field.

And here all this time I thought fish was brain food.
Turns out it's burgers - who knew? :shades:

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I'm sure every team can come up with their laundry list of excuses. If only this hadn't happened or this did happen.

What I know is that this Rams team absolutely sucked. They weren't talented but undisciplined, they weren't right there in every game but a bad bounce cost them, they flat out stunk.

They stunk in the preseason, they stunk in the season opener, and they continue to stink.

In years past, we could handle the losing to some extent because we saw hope somehow someway. I don't even have a whole lot of that right now. At this point, I'm clinging to the hope of regime change - that someone will bring a winning scheme and that we will either find some talent to execute it or salvage some of the untapped talent that we have currently. But how realistic is that, really?

I hope Goff is the guy for this team, and I know he is just a rookie who has had crappy coaching around him but I'd be kidding myself to say that he looks the part so far.

I hope Gurley returns to form and I know he had crappy play design, play-calling, and blocking - but he himself looked like crap this year.

It's just getting harder and harder to hope with these guys. I just want this season to be over - forever - and then I never want to think about it again.