How much did relocation affect the team?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Looking at how teams did in their first season after relocation:
The Raiders moved from Oakland to Los Angeles in 1982(the year of the strike). They went 8-1.

The Colts moved from Baltimore to Indianapolis in 1984. The went 4-12 but were 9-31 their 3 previous seasons before relocation.

The Cardinals moved from St. Louis to Phoenix in 1988. They went 7-9 and continued to be mediocre until 2009, but were also a bad team for most of their time in St. Louis(except 74 through 76).

The Rams moved from LA to St. Louis in 1995 and went 7-9. They were bad the previous 5 seasons while in LA and continued to be so in St. Louis until the 99 season.

The Raiders moved back to Oakland in 1995. They went 8-8. They were 9-7 their last season in LA.

The Oilers moved from Houston to Tennessee in 1997 and eventually became the Titans. They went 8-8. They had the same record their last season in Houston.

The Rams after this years' move seem to have actually gotten worse.
Jeff Fisher mentioned relocation to be a factor in why the team struggled so much this season. I don't buy it. In all fairness, he did say "no excuses" but mentioned it anyway.

View: https://twitter.com/NoPlanB_/status/803428745537355776

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think relocation is tougher now than it was fifteen +years ago. The game is more complex, players work out year round and more time than ever is spent working on their game. The move had to be disruptive to that routine.

Throw in that they moved from St. Louis to L.A.. They suddenly had a knew home in a city with a ton of distractions. It had to be a big adjustment.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think relocation is tougher now than it was fifteen +years ago. The game is more complex, players work out year round and more time than ever is spent working on their game. The move had to be disruptive to that routine.

Throw in that they moved from St. Louis to L.A.. They suddenly had a knew home in a city with a ton of distractions. It had to be a big adjustment.

Good point!

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Relocation mighta had something to do with it. But I think the Fisherball system had more to do with it than anything else.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
I would say it didnt affect the Rams at all. We witnessed the same bullshit we witnessed the 4 years prior to moving.

FRO

Legend
It's an excuse. One I don't want to hear. They knew they were moving for 6 years. They had time to plan everything out. They had a coach that knew all about relocation. The team would have went 4-12 in St Louis too.

RedRam

Pro Bowler
Jeff "No Excuses" Fisher was a Magic 8 Ball of excuses. Sure, moving is tough. Quite frankly, it sucks. I've moved seven times in six years. Not once did it affect my ability to do my job. It's called being a professional. You brush the distractions aside and get the job done. Period. Football players move around a lot. It's part of the business. There's free agency, trades, etc. Not to mention all the travel. Once again, the Rams found a way to tank, to mail it in, rather than suck it up and get the job done. They're a dynasty when it comes to that. That "culture" needs to be eradicated. Winners make no excuses, they just go out and get it done. Losers have a box of excuse cards and are more than willing to play them.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Relocation had nothing to do with it, now I realize it's not a whole team, but how many of you have moved over the years? I have probably moved more than a dozen of times and sometimes from one country to another, you still have to carry out your duties or your job to the best of your ability besides making sure your children are set for School and that the family adjusts to the relocation as well and some of the moves was before a GPS.

Anyway most teams that have moved have not been very good and in fact might be the very reason they relocated because it is far easier to blame your situation than to look into a mirror and blame the person on the other side.

Ram65

Legend
I thought the move had to have some negative effect. Not having a central location for everything had more negative effect. They moved all around SoCal. Still they shouldn't have regressed.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame

Exactly right. We significantly compromised our defense by letting current pro bowler Jenkins go and also by not resigning McLeod and Long. Fischer doesn't need an excuse on this front. This can only be attributed to poor negotiation strategy and decision making by Demoff, who by all accounts solely ran the money/ contract stuff. We likely could have resigned Jenkins at a marginal cost above our last offer (which was described as close to that of the NYGs) had we properly assessed his value and properly handled the negotiation.

No wonder Demoff described the current mess as "an organizational failure." He was part of it.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
rather than join in the fun of listing all the things that I'm pissed about, I will answer the OP question-

Yes, relocation played a part.

Resume vent-fest 2016!
YAY!

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I think there is no question the Rams faced more challenges than any other team prepping for this year. Is the question how much it affected their w/l total or the players?

Let's look at last year's offensive rookie of the year. Did he get bad in one off season because of his work out routine? Too much time spent making commercials? Hard Knocks? A bad pre-season routine? Too much pussy?

Would he have been this bad had they stayed in StL? How much did his bad year effect the rest of the team?

I can think of 5 games they should have easily won and having a cow bell RB leading the team would have made a huge difference.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
tumblr_mufcj5ldmp1rw7rajo1_400.gif

SacRAManiac

Rookie
Not as much as fisher trying to be the players friends or the following list of loser draft picks by Snead since 2012. -- Quick-pead-Bailey - rock Watkins -b McGee. C givens T mason M van dyke Mike Sam. D rahney A green. G Robinson. A whose who of losers busts and nobodies.

SacRAManiac

Rookie
Ps. McDonald and Joyner and Alexander are still to be determined. But i think they are not top NFL quality.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Looking at how teams did in their first season after relocation:
The Raiders moved from Oakland to Los Angeles in 1982(the year of the strike). They went 8-1.

The Colts moved from Baltimore to Indianapolis in 1984. The went 4-12 but were 9-31 their 3 previous seasons before relocation.

The Cardinals moved from St. Louis to Phoenix in 1988. They went 7-9 and continued to be mediocre until 2009, but were also a bad team for most of their time in St. Louis(except 74 through 76).

The Rams moved from LA to St. Louis in 1995 and went 7-9. They were bad the previous 5 seasons while in LA and continued to be so in St. Louis until the 99 season.

The Raiders moved back to Oakland in 1995. They went 8-8. They were 9-7 their last season in LA.

The Oilers moved from Houston to Tennessee in 1997 and eventually became the Titans. They went 8-8. They had the same record their last season in Houston.

The Rams after this years' move seem to have actually gotten worse.
Jeff Fisher mentioned relocation to be a factor in why the team struggled so much this season. I don't buy it. In all fairness, he did say "no excuses" but mentioned it anyway.

View: https://twitter.com/NoPlanB_/status/803428745537355776

Complete records for relocated teams, FWIW

Only 2 teams were better than .500 and they didn't make the playoffs.

1996 Houston Oilers 8-8 1997 Tennessee Oilers 8-8 no playoffs

1995 Cleveland Browns 5-11 1996 Baltimore Ravens 4-12 no playoffs

1994 Los Angeles Rams 4-12 1995 St. Louis Rams 7-9 no playoffs

1994 LA Raiders 9-7 1995 Oakland Raiders 8-8 no playoffs

1987 St. Louis Cardinals 7-8 (strike year 15 games) 1988 Phoenix Cardinals 7-9 no playoffs

1983 Baltimore Colts 7-9 1984 Indianapolis Colts 4-12 no playoffs

1981 Oakland Raiders 7-9 1982 LA Raiders 8-1 (strike year 9 games) made playoffs; lost 1st round

1959 Chicago Cardinals 2-10 1960 St. Louis Cardinals 6-5-1 no playoffs

1945 Cleveland Rams 9-1 1946 Los Angeles Rams 6-4-1 no playoffs

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'm sure it didn't help, but why make matters worse giving away a home game to London?

I realize it was part of the relocation deal, but it's an example of putting something above winning. 1 game is a big friggin deal and winners understand that.

The Rams need to prioritize winning. That's a culture thing and it's hard to change because it extends beyond the product we see on the field.