How McVay Innovates with Motion

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good watch and shows how difficult this offense is to stop. It also reaffirms my faith in Mcvay's ability to evolve his scheme. Why did I ever let any doubts creep in.... Shame on me.

View: https://youtu.be/vlg__ciULwI?si=bYjE6R1sKwKMZ6uC

Ditto. I know I get frustrated and then have to cool my jets. He can have the best developed plays, but he still needs guys who can perform and execute them.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
That is great video. Excellent, in fact,

The two reasons for motion that guy mentions is more detailed but he cannot go into in a short video, no doubt he knows. They could be subsets of motion, I guess

There are really four goals for motion
1. He mentioned one -- changing the strength. Move a player from the 3x2 formation it becomes 2x3. or 4x1 can turn into 3x2. THis is called "structural motion".

2, Then there is motion that is called "informational" motion. This is the classic "man" or "zone" thing everyone talks about but there is more to it. It can also serve to identify pressures, fronts (you can see the line shift left or right) and even more

3. If a motion is to make it easier for a blocker, (back or receiver) or to get a WR into space -- this is "advantage motion" the video talks about it a lot. Gettin a wide receiver in better spot to run route, to break the leveral of a defender.

4. Then there is traffic motion. That's meant to challenge the defenses' eye disciple and also to create traffic for defenders

That guy knows his stuff.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
That guy mentions leverage ... and again there are subsets..

He mentions inside or outside another player. It can be a DB vs receiver or whatever ... that's the general term and it can be at lineup ... but also after the snap

The is Flat leverage - the defender is higher and inside the receiver

Pylon leverage is underneath and inside ..so a receiver adjustment might be the angle of his route to get separation

Then there is Post leverage -- beneath and outside - also the adjustment would be the angle of route

Shallow
leverage is above and outside the receiver -- so the adjustment would be to cut inside or fake inside and then out.

Head up is Stacked ... above the receiver, but not inside or outside -

So a receiver would look at Stacked coverage and reads it and if there is option route that tells the receiver to continue vertically. The defender has to move one way or the other and when that happens the QB knows where to put the ball.

Capped is under the receiver...like trailing a guy on a vertical seam and that a receiver can adjust inside or out -- like a pivot or return, etc.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Gotta admit, this might be his best coaching work yet. To have us in playoff contention with this roster is impressive. Nobody thought we'd have a shot at a winning season. Should reach that tomorrow.

TexasRam

Legend
Nice little breakdown.

So much design and thought goes into each play, it’s good to slow the tape and see the intent behind a few of these plays and how they beat the defense.

I love the short motion. Where the WR at the last second moves inside or outside the other WR to create problems and miscommunication for the DB’s.

Winning with pure speed or power is fun to watch but this is my favorite thing about Football. Outsmarting the defenders and winning via whiteboard. It shows how sophisticated this sport can be and debunks the idea that it’s a bunch of huge or athletic cavemen running around.

The greatest coaches are thinkers and teachers not screamers or “Motivators”.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I wonder how much impact LaFleur is having with preparation? I remember people thinking he would help them improve the run game. And this year the run game is better than its been in years. Since the Gurley days. Is LaFleur the guy McVay needed to help build a better run game?

TexasRam

Legend
I also think it goes without saying….

The rebuilt Oline is key to making this system or any system work.