How many preseason games would you prefer? (Poll)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

How many preseason games would you prefer?

Votes: 19 30.2%

Votes: 14 22.2%

Votes: 27 42.9%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 3 4.8%

• Total voters

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
My preference would be two. There are far too many injuries as it is. Either that or increase the amount of players that can be suited up for each game.
********************************************************************************
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-momentum-for-shortening-preseason-by-a-game/

Packers president sees momentum for shortening preseason by a game
Posted by Darin Gantt on February 26, 2016

Green Bay is one of the “fortunate” teams to get to play five preseason games this year, but Packers president Mark Murphy said there’s more talk about shortening the exhibition slate to three.

Via Rob Demovsky of ESPN.com, Murphy said that the league’s competition committee has talked about reducing the preseason by a game, and Packers coach Mike McCarthy is all in favor of that.

“That would probably be a little more practical, especially with all the emphasis on player safety,” McCarthy said. “Hell, they’ve cut back everything else. I wouldn’t be surprised if they go to three games. Three games with a two-week bye week, with two weeks before the opener. That’s just my opinion. Nobody’s told me that. I’d be for it. I think it makes a lot of sense. Then you could be a little more aggressive in that third game. Just take the fourth one out.”

Since fourth preseason games rarely feature starters, or at least stars, few would miss the “game” if it went away. And Murphy said McCarthy’s suggestion has some traction.

“I think there would be support for three,” Murphy said. “I think Mike’s [idea], that’s what we’ve talked about. Rather than playing that fourth game on a Thursday, . . . don’t play a fourth game and then you’d have an extra week. We’ve looked at different models, but I think that’s the one that makes the most sense.

“You’re giving up some revenue, but it’s one of the worst things we do. The move we made on variable [ticket] pricing helps a little bit in how preseason is viewed, but especially that fourth game is kind of a throwaway.”

Of course, shifting the cost to regular season games — as the Packers did last week — will make up for that revenue hit. But getting rid of a meaningless game sounds like the kind of thing coaches and players and consumers would support anyway.
---------------
I would love the pre season cut down to three games, maybe even two. Teams know what their veterans can do already. No need to take chances. With the way things are now half the league is mediocre at best. Why risk losing a starter or high priced player in pre season.
---------------
Removing the game would basically be a 5% drop in ticket revenue for non-playoff teams. I don’t think many owners will get behind it unless there is a regular season game added.
----------------
I understand that most people aren’t particularly interested in the preseason, but it serves one very important purpose that most people overlook.

Basically, most of the guys on the field are playing for their jobs. Yes, everyone knows what most of the starters can do already so their presence isn’t really necessary beyond 1 qtr. to “warm up” for the season, but a lot of the other guys aren’t even guaranteed a roster spot. Those guys deserve all the opportunities they can get to prove themselves and get some of their game on film so they can try to secure their roster spot, or at least spark interest with other teams.

Also, preseason is very important for rookies to get a taste of the NFL even if they aren’t ready to start yet. That experience is very valuable for 2nd/3rd string players. Preseason is nice for hardcore fans too because they can get a feel of how much depth their team has. Lets face it, most starters go down at some point or another during the season so it’s nice to know who will be stepping up in their absence.

For those reasons, I do not think the preseason could be shortened. It’s a huge job interview opportunity for lower tier players.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Two. And 18 regular season games.
Plus, a 63 man roster.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
2 games, if it meant 1 or 2 more regular season games. If were talking about cutting preseason games without an increase in regular season, than keep it at 4.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
O.

Pre-season is garbage. It's not fun to watch bubble players against other scrubs, or the starters running a vanilla scheme. I give my PS tickets away every year.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Keep it at 4. If a coach is worried about injuring players then he doesn't have to play his starters. I'd like to see maybe two full games with mostly starters and 2 with mostly guys trying to make the roster. But that is just my preference. I want to see a little more of these young guys getting snaps. Give them a chance to be seen by other teams as well.

Ramfansince79

Rookie
Name
Ramsfan79
3 at most

I can't believe the comments for more regular season games--IMO season is already too long, too hard for teams to stay healthy.
I wonder if the owners have moles planted around here :sneaky:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just two, on odd number won't work unless they plan on a neutral site game for every team.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I voted 3. 2 games to get your starters and depth chart set and the final game for the fringe guys to show their stuff.

I'd also like two bye weeks for each team even if it's 16 games. With camp and preseason it's a grind through summer and the start of the season. I'd like every team to have a bye around Sept to early Oct and then one in late Nov to early Dec.. Gives guys bodies a chance to recover a bit more before a long playoff push for some clubs.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I voted for zero but I would be OK with two. Most of the games are a waste of time and just opportunities for injuries.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I voted 3. 2 games to get your starters and depth chart set and the final game for the fringe guys to show their stuff.

I'd also like two bye weeks for each team even if it's 16 games. With camp and preseason it's a grind through summer and the start of the season. I'd like every team to have a bye around Sept to early Oct and then one in late Nov to early Dec.. Gives guys bodies a chance to recover a bit more before a long playoff push for some clubs.
Who's the home team for the 3rd game? Is the NFL going to put extra work in so that it rotates teams getting 2 home games one year and then only 1 home game the next? Also season ticket holders pay for preseason games so this would affect them as well.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Who's the home team for the 3rd game? Is the NFL going to put extra work in so that it rotates teams getting 2 home games one year and then only 1 home game the next? Also season ticket holders pay for preseason games so this would affect them as well.

Hadn't that of the 3rd game home team problem. I don't have a clean solution for that. You could have a coin flip for who hosts the 3rd game and have the clubs playing the game share the revenue 50/50 or 60/40 split.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Two. And 18 regular season games.
Plus, a 63 man roster.

giphy.gif

Ram65

Legend
Stay 4 so everyone gets a look. Can't really practice much any more. Regular season 16 games in enough.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Would going to a seventeen game season mean having to use fewer tie breakers at the end of the season?

Ants

Starter
For you guys that want less than 4:
How are you supposed to evaluate so many guys with any less than 4 games?
...and who cares how boring the preseason is? Don't watch it if you don't like it. These teams are trying to run a business.