How Jeff Fisher succeeded with a small-school quarterback in Steve McNair

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I must have missed the part where Wagoner suggested that Wentz needs to live up to McNair's warrior status. The article started with this:

With the third pick in the 1995 draft, the Oilers appeared poised to land one of two top signal-callers. One was a strong-armed pocket passer from a major college program. The other was a tough, athletic prospect from a Division I-AA school facing questions about how he'd fare against elite competition.

Kinda relevant.
Wait, didn't Fisher end up with both of those guys....Fisher is savvy.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think Fish let it slip there.

Bottom line is that taking a QB is projecting what a guy will be capable of in the NFL. Fish is certain Wentz will be in Super Bowls. That means he sees him like Mayock, that he's going to work his butt off to continue what he's done thus far in his life from his straight As since kindergarten to winning the championship in his first year as starter.

Wentz has swag to him man. He has that QB magnetism many guys are missing. That alone isn't such a big deal, but when it's on top of his size, arm talent, athleticism, and history of working his butt off to be the best? Well, that sounds like a slam dunk to me. The kind of prospect that would lead a team to move up from 15 even if it means giving up a boatload of picks.

Nothing against Goff here, either. I love him. If I was making the pick he'd be my guy because I want a GSoT type offense. BUT, that said, I understand why the Rams will take Wentz. The dude is a safe pick with a high ceiling, and for a QB that's a very, very rare thing.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
McNair was Tim Tebow with a better running back behind him. Eddie George. Anybody remember that guy named Eddie George?

Hahahaha..........the word preposterous doesn't cover this.

And in his NFL career every starting RB Tebow had was better than the very much average at his best Eddie George.

McNair v. Tebow isn't even a conversation.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
That stood out to me as well. I think that little bread crumb or nugget tells you exactly where they are going.

Yeah, that said "Wentz will be successful... elsewhere"

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
You thinking they will take Goff now? I know you are/were in the Wentz camp???

I still think Wentz is the best fit for the Rams.

I firmly believe the Rams are taking Goff. I just posted What I think will happen. I lay it out.

I think Fisher wants to run that WCO (you know, that WCO that they tried to run for 4 games and was a miserable failure?) and they want Goff to run it.

In a nutshell.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
"There may be a confidence level that they're not afraid of it and I wouldn't be afraid of it," Venturi said. "I think this kid, I think Wentz, I have heard Jon Gruden say he is as good, as pro ready a guy because of his mentality and the offense that he plays in as anyone, so I think if anything he has an advantage based on his background regardless of the level of competition."

As Venturi pointed out, Wentz actually has an advantage in that he played exclusively in a pro-style offense and was under center far more often than Goff. Like any young quarterback, Wentz will have some learning to do when he gets to the NFL, whether it's with the Rams or someone else. That also doesn't mean he'll sit and learn for most of his first two years the way McNair once did.

This is why I don't necessarily buy the argument that Goff is more pro-ready than Wentz. Do I think Goff will get up to speed pretty quickly? Sure. But so will Wentz, as he will be seeing a lot of offensive concepts with which he already has familiarity.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
That guy we could have drafted instead of Lawrence Phillips?
No, never heard of him.

I thought Phillips was a steal............................................................................or was that a felon?