How Jared Goff's game shares Aaron Rodgers' traits

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Dougherty: How Jared Goff's game shares Aaron Rodgers' traits

Pete Dougherty, Packers News

Without prompting, an NFL scout this week was about to offer the name of an NFL quarterback that Jared Goff brought to mind.

The scout started with several caveats but couldn’t deny seeing a similarity in throwing talent and mechanics with none other than Aaron Rodgers, the Green Bay Packers quarterback Goff will be facing Sunday at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.

“I know they’re both Cal guys, which is the part that bothers me as much as anything,” the scout said. “’C’mon man, the same school and you’re going to lump them together?’ And comparing anybody to Aaron is unfair to them, especially in their second or third year in the league.

“(But) just the way (Goff) delivers the ball sometimes. The quickness of the release without setting his feet, combined with the accuracy, I think is pretty special.”

The Los Angeles Rams drafted Goff over Carson Wentz with the first pick overall in 2016, and after the ’16 season, it looked like they’d botched the pick.

As a starter in the final seven games of his rookie season Goff was winless and looked horribly overmatched with a 63.6 rating, whereas Wentz, who went No. 2 overall, won the starting job with the Philadelphia Eagles and showed great promise while going 7-9 with a 79.3 rating.

But two seasons later Goff is the toast of the NFL, whereas Wentz is still getting back to form after the torn ACL that ended his fantastic 2017 season early.

The Rams are the NFL’s lone undefeated team and rank third in the NFL in scoring (33.6 points). Goff ranks No. 6 in the league in passer rating (112.8), ahead of Wentz (108.1) and Rodgers (100.2).

Packers' LB Clay Matthews addresses the media following practice on what it will take for the defense to break Rams' QB Jared Goff down. Packers News

The scout knows Goff’s game especially well because his team was looking hard at the quarterbacks at the top of the first round in ’16. He watched 12 college games each of Goff and Wentz.

To the scout it was clear Wentz was more ready-made for the NFL. Though he’d been the starter for only 1½ seasons in college at a lower-level school (North Dakota), he played in a pro-style offense and had an NFL physique (6-5¼, 237 pounds).

In a pre-draft interview, Wentz blew away the team’s coaches when quizzed on identifying defensive alignments, protection calls and play changes.

Goff, on the other hand, had never even huddled in college at Cal. Play calls came from the sidelines after the team had lined up, as did audibles. Goff didn’t even have to identify the Mike linebacker.

But what jumped out to the scout was Goff’s throwing talent and ability to keep his eyes downfield in the face of an unrelenting pass rush.

Cal had a bad offensive line, and Goff usually couldn’t step into his throws because of rushers in his face. Yet he got the ball out with a quick, compact delivery and still put it on the money.

After that rocky rookie year, Goff has become a most promising quarterback the last two seasons playing for the NFL’s prodigal coach, Sean McVay.

Last year Goff went 11-4 and had a 100.5 rating, and this season he’s gashing defenses with the second-best average per attempt (9.77 yards) and sixth-best completion percentage (69.7 percent).

McVay has accelerated Goff’s growth by often running a no-huddle offense and helping his quarterback with audibles before the coach-quarterback headset cuts off with 15 seconds left on the play clock.

Still, comparing any young quarterback’s throwing talent to Rodgers is saying a lot. Rodgers ranks among the great pure passers in league history with his quick delivery and accuracy regardless of whether he sets his feet.

“There are some similarities from a mechanical standpoint between the two guys,” the scout said. “Aaron does the same thing, very seldom does he step into a throw.

Everything he does is from the hips. Jared is the same way. It’s almost a flick of the wrist rather than load it up and throw it. Jared is very similar. Watch it and you tell me if I’m full of it.

There are some similarities there, and none of it has to do with the fact that they went to the same school.”

In Rodgers’ media session at his locker this week, he didn’t note any similarities with Goff, but he did mention the quality that jumps out most.

“He’s got some weapons to throw to, but he’s been extremely accurate (throwing),” Rodgers said.

The biggest difference between the two is athleticism, at least in how they tested at the NFL scouting combine.

Rodgers is a little shorter (6-feet-2 to Goff’s 6-4) but ran a faster 40 (4.71 to 4.82) and jumped higher (34 1/2 inches to 27 inches). Goff was a little quicker in the three cone (7.17 seconds to Rodgers’ 7.38).

Rodgers is a more athletic quarterback than scouts thought he was coming out of Cal. His ability to make plays outside the pocket is what separates him from the increasing number of good pocket passers in the league.

Goff can’t do that as well as Rodgers, but the pocket presence he showed with those undermanned Cal teams has carried over to the NFL.
https://www.packersnews.com/story/s...-game-shares-aaron-rodgers-traits/1753984002/

Former Cal QBs Goff, Rodgers Will Square Off for First Time

You likely know that quarterback Jared Goff grew up in the Bay Area. And largely because his parents attended the university, Goff was a big Cal fan.

The 24-year-old signal-caller noted he was “very young” when now-Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers was tearing up the Pac-10 in Berkeley, but also growing up as a 49ers fan — which, clearly, he’s lost at this point.

Goff said he remembers not being very happy on Draft Day 2005 when San Francisco took Alex Smith No. 1 overall over Rodgers.

h2c6xoyqgxbixzzk7lsb.jpg

“He was upset, but with that being said, I'm a fan of Alex as well. But yeah, 10-year-old Jared was very upset when he found out they didn't take Aaron,” Goff said with a smile on Wednesday.

Now, Goff will be on the opposite sideline of Rodgers on Sunday afternoon as the Rams take on the Packers.

“Obviously, his greatness has been documented for years now,” Goff said. “He's a great player and a guy I watched in college and then moved onto the NFL. I've followed his whole career, big fan of his.

Yeah, there are times where we're watching him play against the defense and you get stuck on watching him. He's a great player. I've got a lot of respect for him and it'll be fun to get a chance to go against him.”

While the two Cal quarterbacks were drafted over a decade apart, Goff said he’s been able to strike up a bit of a relationship with Rodgers over time.

z7yimj3palddkcrvp2kb.jpg

“I've gotten to know him a little bit the past few years,” Goff said. “Just crossed paths on a few different things and he's been nothing but great to me.”

Sunday will represent the first time Rodgers has faced another starting Cal quarterback.

But ironically, when Rodgers faced the Rams in 2009, he was on the opposite sideline of another former Cal signal-caller, Kyle Boller, who came on in relief of an injured Marc Bulger.

Boller was the Ravens’ No. 19 overall pick back in 2003. Rodgers also came into a game late for Green Bay back in December 2005 when the Packers lost 48-3 to Baltimore.

But it’s been a long time since two Cal QBs have met in the NFL. And that’s no small feat for the program in Berkeley.

“Yeah, I'm sure it'll be exciting. I'm sure they'll be excited to watch it,” Goff said. “It's the first time I've played against a guy that went to my college. I don't know for him if that's the case, but it'll be cool.

It'll be fun and I'm sure they're excited about it. I'm sure Cal football will post some pictures about it or something and it'll be fun.”

mebhkoz5dny3w5nopwh0.jpg

https://www.therams.com/news/former-cal-qbs-goff-rodgers-will-square-off-for-first-time

Flint

Pro Bowler
I really don’t see it, Goff’s having a great year but I just love watching Rogers throw the ball. Seems like it doesn’t matter what position his body is in he just flicks his wrist and out comes a beautiful spiral, seemingly effortless. I’ve never seen anybody throw it like him.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I really don’t see it, Goff’s having a great year but I just love watching Rogers throw the ball. Seems like it doesn’t matter what position his body is in he just flicks his wrist and out comes a beautiful spiral, seemingly effortless. I’ve never seen anybody throw it like him.

There is nothing really to see @Flint

The article headline was simply about traits... It never stated Goff's throwing ability or athletic traits were in the same ballpark as Rodgers.

Let's just watch how they both rise or fall to the occasion over the next 4 weeks.

Both teams have brutal schedules and these two former Cal QB's will have to be on top of their games to come out with winning records over the next 4 contests.

Rodgers is already a legend, and young Jared is closing the gap and making his own mark on the NFL.

ea4139fb035fa1930ac0920d936b6c05.jpg

comparison-quote.jpg

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I'm surprised the article doesn't mention that Goff broke every or most of ARs records at cal....and with a shittier team.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Goff just turned 24 and has 28 nfl starts

Rodgers was what? 25 when he finally was released from Favre’s shadow

It is what it is, great news for us!

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay has accelerated Goff’s growth by often running a no-huddle offense and helping his quarterback with audibles before the coach-quarterback headset cuts off with 15 seconds left on the play clock.

see its the little blurbs like this from the media that absolutely boil my piss ,, its the system QB narrative and like Goff is doinf what he is doing because of this .. and no other QB gets this .... and fail to mention like @wolfdogg said the fact Goff broke all of rodgers records at Cal

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
also for anyone that knows.. Did Aaron play in the same sort of offense as Goff ,,no huddle calls in from the sideline all shotgun (bear raid ? ) offense

i remember watching that draft when Arod fell (and it doesnt seem to matter as much as he was destined to sit behind favre) bu i don't remember people mentioning it ?

Flint

Pro Bowler
see its the little blurbs like this from the media that absolutely boil my tick ,, its the system QB narrative and like Goff is doinf what he is doing because of this .. and no other QB gets this .... and fail to mention like @wolfdogg said the fact Goff broke all of rodgers records at Cal

The article headline was simply about traits... It never stated Goff's throwing ability or athletic traits were in the same ballpark as Rodgers.

Let's just watch how they both rise or fall to the occasion over the next 4 weeks.

Both teams have brutal schedules and these two former Cal QB's will have to be on top of their games to come out with winning records over the next 4 contests.

Rodgers is already a legend, and young Jared is closing the gap and making his own mark on the NFL.

The scout started with several caveats but couldn’t deny seeing a similarity in throwing talent and mechanics with none other than Aaron Rodgers

comparison-quote.jpg
.[/QUOTE]

comparison-quote.jpg

comparison-quote.jpg

The article is full of direct comparison of the two, it talks about how they both use their hips and flick their wrists, it talks about Rogers having better combine numbers, the scout even says there are mechanical similarities, so yeah , the article compares them physically and mechanically.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The scout started with several caveats but couldn’t deny seeing a similarity in throwing talent and mechanics with none other than Aaron Rodgers

show me where i argued that about Goffs throwing ability or athleticism in comparison to Arod (who i personally believe to be the best QB in the game )

my argument is the little backhanded compliments that are thrown around whenever anyone talks about Goff
"he has Mcvay in his ear till the mic cuts"
" Mcvays system is making Goff better"
" mcvay has pput sooo many weapons around Goff its hard for him to fail "
blah blah blah

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/10/26/18025980/aaron-rodgers-packers-rams-drew-brees

The Rams’ Well-Oiled Offensive Machine vs. Aaron Rodgers’s Individual Excellence

The Rams vs. the Packers is the ultimate clash of styles: The Rams utilize a system that gives it Aaron Rodgers–style firepower and the Packers utilize a system that tries to limit its firepower despite actually employing Aaron Rodgers.

We are running out of things to say about the Rams offense, but here’s a new one that blows my mind. Per Rotoworld, 51.5 percent of the Rams’ possessions end inside the red zone. Outside of the Rams, the league average is 27 percent.

My colleague Robert Mays has detailed the problems with Mike McCarthy’s offense. Rodgers makes the offense go for the Packers, and everything makes the offense go for the Rams. Under Sean McVay’s tutelage, Jared Goff went from throwing 26 percent of his passes into tight windows in 2016 to 14 percent in 2017, according to NFL Next Gen stats.

Rodgers needs a similar transformation within his own offense. He doesn’t need much help on tight throws—he does pretty damn well on those—but he has not had a coach who can make things easy for him, and that may look more obvious than ever against the Rams.

Apt43Rams

UDFA
also for anyone that knows.. Did Aaron play in the same sort of offense as Goff ,,no huddle calls in from the sideline all shotgun (bear raid ? ) offense

i remember watching that draft when Arod fell (and it doesnt seem to matter as much as he was destined to sit behind favre) bu i don't remember people mentioning it ?

I was at Cal at the same time Rodgers was there and from what I remember Cal ran a pro-style offense. Jeff Tedford’s early Cal years was a high powered though very balanced offense often times running the same amount of passing and running plays a game. Though Rodgers did air it out every once in awhile and spread the ball to receivers, it wasn’t shotgun/bear raid system that Goff ran under Sonny Dykes.

Still pains me that Rodgers left early as I still have dreams of a Cal offense featuring Aaron Rodgers at QB, Marshawn Lynch/Justin Forsett at running back, Desean Jackson/LaVelle Hawkins/Robert Jordan at WR, Craig Stevens at TE, and 3 of 5 offensive linemen all spending sometime in the NFL.

Anyway, I’m really looking forward wit this Cal on Cal matchup though obviously hoping Goff and the Rams pull this one out.

Flint

Pro Bowler
show me where i argued that about Goffs throwing ability or athleticism in comparison to Arod (who i personally believe to be the best QB in the game )

my argument is the little backhanded compliments that are thrown around whenever anyone talks about Goff
blah blah blah

I was going to agree with you, I read that as a unnecessary dig at Goff as well, and considering the offensive explosion this year I’d say that whatever Mcvay is doing a lot of others are doing as well. Anyway I tried to comment on another post and posted on this one by mistake.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
blah blah blah

Yeah most of the articles out there on Jared this season have been veiled rationalizations on how he's improved, as if the authors feel the need to take a careful step forward on him due to the negative spin he faced early on. The dude in the article above had to caveat the way McVay runs a hurry-up to help Jared read offenses. He might not mean anything by it, but just the way that had to be included demonstrates that group-think you get with the media types.

I honestly don't bother reading a lot of that stuff, including the article posted above. Jared's a great kid who cares, works hard, and is very talented. And he's got a head coach who pairs beautifully with him and who will set him up to maximize his talent. Sky is the limit for him, so I am determined to enjoy watching his career unfold. Hopefully he'll play for us for the next 10+ years and if so I have to think we'll have at least a few championships under our belt.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yea I don't see it. Rodgers IMO has a stronger arm and is more athletic.

Accuracy is similar though, and Jared can make all the throws obviously. But the above is what makes Rodgers so special.

Goff is a rich(er) man's Matt Ryan IMO.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
I was at Cal at the same time Rodgers was there and from what I remember Cal ran a pro-style offense. Jeff Tedford’s early Cal years was a high powered though very balanced offense often times running the same amount of passing and running plays a game. Though Rodgers did air it out every once in awhile and spread the ball to receivers, it wasn’t shotgun/bear raid system that Goff ran under Sonny Dykes.

Still pains me that Rodgers left early as I still have dreams of a Cal offense featuring Aaron Rodgers at QB, Marshawn Lynch/Justin Forsett at running back, Desean Jackson/LaVelle Hawkins/Robert Jordan at WR, Craig Stevens at TE, and 3 of 5 offensive linemen all spending sometime in the NFL.

Anyway, I’m really looking forward wit this Cal on Cal matchup though obviously hoping Goff and the Rams pull this one out.

I did some quick reading and found that most reference a great deal of complexity relative to the QB in Tedford's system.

Most Air Raid variants have the QB look to the sideline for all play calls with little responsibility on the QB.

From what I recall of Tedford, it was more pro-style.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i'm still trying to figure out how mike mccarthy still has a job. he's wasted rodgers prime years with blah teams and blah offenses. it's a crime against humanity that the arod packers have only won one superbowl, only made it to the superbowl once, and brady has won 5 with the cheats, and made it to a whopping eight of them.

Ram65

Legend
Rodgers is a little shorter (6-feet-2 to Goff’s 6-4) but ran a faster 40 (4.71 to 4.82) and jumped higher (34 1/2 inches to 27 inches). Goff was a little quicker in the three cone (7.17 seconds to Rodgers’ 7.38).

I wonder if Jared can jump higher now. He does look stronger in the core when trying to shake off defenders.

Goff will never be an Aaron Rodgers running the ball but, it nice to see him take off when he has the chance too.

Aikman said the throw to Kupp was one that only Aaron Rodgers makes...or something like that. Video doesn't have that comment. It does show Goff throwing on the run.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zyUKe7u9Ws

Everything he does is from the hips. Jared is the same way. It’s almost a flick of the wrist rather than load it up and throw it. Jared is very similar. Watch it and you tell me if I’m full of it.

Romo made the same comment. He said Goff can throw in a phone booth. I see some similar traits with Goff still getting stronger. He is accurate and has a compact quick delivery. I don't see him running like Rodgers. I see him being able to get out of trouble more and make great throws. It will be interesting to see them play in the same game.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Yea I don't see it. Rodgers IMO has a stronger arm and is more athletic.

Accuracy is similar though, and Jared can make all the throws obviously. But the above is what makes Rodgers so special.

Goff is a rich(er) man's Matt Ryan IMO.

Don't see similarities with Goff and Rodgers other than playing in Cal. Goff has similarities with P. Manning in terms of his ability to move his feet inside the pocket to leverage movement away from getting sacked. Hoping he can evolve with the cerebral aspect of that too.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame

Aaron Rogers Career Stats:

Passing
Year …...Team ............….G ..Att ..Comp ..Pct...Att/G ...Yds ...Avg …..Yds/G ...TD ....TD% ...Int ...Int% ...Lng .....20+ ...40+.... Sck ...SckY ….Rate
2018 Green Bay Packers 6 ..254 ..156 ...61.4.. 42.3 ...1,997 ...7.9 …...332.8 …12 …..4.7 …….1 …...0.4 …..75T ......23 ……...7 …...19 .....127 …..100.1
2017 Green Bay Packers 7 ...238 154 ...64.7 ..34.0 ...1,675....7.0 …...239.3 …..16 …..6.7...…. 6 ...….2.5..... 72 ……...21 …......4 ......22 168 ......….97.2
2016 Green Bay Packers 16 .610 401 .65.7 ..38.1 ….4,428 ..7.3 ......276.8 …...40.... 6.6 ...…...7 ...….1.1 …..66T ...…..57 ...….10 …..35 246 ……..104.2
2015 Green Bay Packers 16 .572 347 ..60.7 .35.8.... 3,821 ..6.7...... 238.8.... ..31 …..5.4...….. 8 …….1.4 .....65T ...…..55 ........6..... 46 314 ...……..92.7
2014 Green Bay Packers 16 .520 341 ..65.6. 32.5 ….4,381...8.4 ......273.8 …..38 ….7.3 ...…..5 …….1.0 .....80T ...…..59 .......15 ….28 174 ……….112.2
2013 Green Bay Packers 9 ..290 193 ...66.6 .32.2 ….2,536 ..8.7 …...281.8 ….17 …..5.9 ...….6 ...….2.1 .....83T ...…..35 ...…..7 .....21 117 ………….104.9
2012 Green Bay Packers 16 552 371.. 67.2 .34.5 ….4,295. .7.8 ...…268.4 …..39..... .7.1 ……..8 ...….1.4 .....73 ...…….54 ……...9.... 51 293 ...…….108.0
2011 Green Bay Packers 15 502 343 ..68.3 33.5 ….4,643 ..9.2 …...309.5 …45 ….9.5...…..6 ...…..1.2..... 93T ...….64 ……..13 ..36 219 .........…..122.5
2010 Green Bay Packers 15 475 312 ..65.7 .31.7 ….3,922 ..8.3 ......261.5..... 28 …..5.9...…. 11 ...….2.3 …..86T..... ..54 ...….10 ….31 193 ………...101.2
2009 Green Bay Packers 16 541 350 .64.7. 33.8 ...4,434 ..8.2 …...277.1 …..30 …...5.5 ...….7 ...…..1.3 .....83T..... ..55 …….17 ….50 306 ......…...103.2
2008 Green Bay Packers 16 536 341 .63.6 .33.5 ...4,038 ..7.5 ......252.4.... 28 …...5.2 …...13 ........2.4.... 71T …….48........16 ….34 231...……….. 93.8
2007 Green Bay Packers 2 ..28 ...20.. 71.4 .14.0 …...218 ..7.8 …….109.0 ......1 …….3.6 …...0...….. 0.0 ….43 ...…….2 ...…..1...... 3 24 ...…...…...106.0
2006 Green Bay Packers 2 ..15.... 6 ….40.0 .7.5 ...…..46 ..3.1 ..........23.0 …..0 …....0.0 …...0 ……..0.0 ….16......…...0 ...….0 ......3 18 ......………..48.2
2005 Green Bay Packers 3 ..16 ….9 ...56.3 ..5.3 .........65 ..4.1 ...…...21.7 ……..0 ….0.0 …...1 ........6.3 …..16 ...…...0 ...….0 ......3 28 ...……...……..39.8
TOTAL ..................……155 5,149 3,344 64.9 33.2..40,499 7.9 .....261.3 ….325.... ..6.3 …...79 …….1.5 ......93 ......527 ….115... 382 2,458 ...…...103.6

2018 Jared Goff…. LA….7...218...152...69.7 .31.1 ...2,130 ..9.8 ….304.3... 14 …..............................……………………………………………………….. 112.7
16 game pace...…………………………………….......4,868...…..…..……....32

Keep watching. Jared is having a year that rivals Rogers BEST years in nearly all categories. Rogers has NEVER had a 9.8 ave. per pass. Rogers has NEVER finished a season with a 112.7 rating.

And Jared's scrambling ability is highly underrated, very nifty, without all those pesky, season-ending injuries guys like Rogers are susceptible to getting.
And I just love seeing Jared throw the ball. Accurate, strong. Good pocket presence. Better shelf life. Only 24.

Last edited:

FarNorth

Hall of Fame

i'm still trying to figure out how mike mccarthy still has a job. he's wasted rodgers prime years with blah teams and blah offenses. it's a crime against humanity that the arod packers have only won one superbowl, only made it to the superbowl once, and brady has won 5 with the cheats, and made it to a whopping eight of them.

That’s exactly what my ex Navy Seal buddy from Wisconsin has been telling me for several years now. He can’t stand McCarthy, thinks Rodgers could have won multiple championships with a better coach. I’ve come around to pretty much agreeing with him. Also very surprised they fired all the other coaches but kept McCarthy.