How is Gurley used?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flint

Pro Bowler
Assuming TG is recovered from this secret mysterious injury by September, do the rams try and do anything different with his usage. Gurley was clearly the engine that made the offense go in ‘18 but his absence in the playoffs made things very different. Would Gurley at 100% have made a difference in the SB? Seems like McVay isn’t willing to even consider that, but what does this mean going forward? Do the try to give some of those carries to someone else so Gurley can be Gurley in the playoffs? TG has had a bunch of touches the last couple years but I guess that’s why he got all that money.
People downplay the importance of the rb but Gurley is the total package who can take over a game.
Who’s responsible for shutting down the running game Belichick and Flores or Gurley and McVay?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Its clear a team (any team) really needs a 1A and 1B to navigate 16+ games.

The position takes such a beating. You keep guys fresh, and guard against a missed game or two.

We probably rode Gurley too hard, but then again, he was delivering... so why not?

An injury, hard tackle, etc can happen at any time. Sucks Gurley got dinged late and never really recovered.

Fortunately for us, we have the 1A. Solving 1B is a little easier. We have options with Brown and maybe Anderson, but I also like grabbing a guy later in the draft that has that dark horse potential. They're out there every year.

Ram65

Legend
The games were close enough this year to keep Gurley in. I was always disappointed when he came out after moving the ball down field. Still, Rams need to have a plan to give him rest. Brown did show well last year. Hope he is back healthy. Kelly should get some carries just in case. I would like to see Todd running routes not just being an outlet in the passing game.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Brown is the perfect Compliment to Gurley. I was really bummed when he got hurt. Thank goodness for CJ Last year.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Unfortunately, I think CJ is the guy we need at the #2 RB spot, but he’s really good enough to start elsewhere. Brown had flashes, but I think he wouldn’t have had the impact in the Dallas playoff game that Anderson had. We have to ride Gurley as the main horse, IMO..

dang

Legend
Gurley is a top 5 NFL RB - but with his new contract we need to keep him that way for the next 4+ years. A solid 1-2 punch at RB (say Gurley @65% and RB2 @35%) vs occasional spot relief is what is needed to keep Gurley relatively healthy for the end of a season. Brown looks like an RB3 in this scenario - so the Rams need to decide between Anderson (who showed very well) or Kelly (who showed promise) for this heavy RB2 role.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...todd-gurleys-knee-regresses-during-offseason/
Rams may consider drastic option if Todd Gurley's knee regresses during offseason
by John Breech

Todd Gurley's left knee is still an issue in Los Angeles

The question of whether or not Todd Gurley is healthy has been one of the biggest mysteries in the NFL over the past few months and although the team won't come out and say it, there's definitely some concern inside the organization about his left knee.

The Rams currently have Gurley on an offseason regimen in hopes of getting him completely healthy for the 2019 season, but if that doesn't work or if his knee regresses, the team may consider stem cell treatment for their star running back, according to a team source.

Although stem cell procedures haven't quite gone mainstream in the NFL, multiple former running backs have undergone the treatment, including Jamaal Charles and Knowshon Moreno. Both Charles and Moreno had the procedure done after tearing an ACL earlier in their football career. Gurley tore his ACL during his junior year at the University of Georgia in 2014.

Rams coach Sean McVay was asked about the possibility of a stem cell procedure during a one-on-one interview with CBSSports.com at the NFL combine on Thursday and although he didn't confirm it, he did say that the team is looking at "new methods" to help Gurley with his ailing knee.

"As far as the stem cells, that's not something that's been communicated to me, but there is a program," McVay said. "We've got these doctors and there's always new methods of staying as up-to-date as you can, and number one, the player has to feel good about it. Todd does such a good job of doing his own research and knowing what are the things [he] can do."McVay also added that the team is open to using new advancements in medicine as long as Gurley is comfortable with it. "I think every year provides a new opportunity based on the research and some of the medical advances to attack it in the right way," McVay said. "As long as Todd is feeling good about that, that's what we'll do."

One option that's not on the table right now is surgery. McVay told a horde of media members at the combine that surgery definitely won't be happening this offseason. Gurley's troublesome left knee became such an issue this year that it caused him to miss the final two games of the regular season. At the time, the Rams attributed Gurley's absence to soreness and inflammation. According to McVay, the team is hoping that they can get Gurley back at full strength this offseason.

"We're going to implement a plan to have him attack it to get that knee back to feeling full strength, feeling good based on just the amount of work that he's gotten," McVay said. "That would be no different whether he missed any games or not, though."The 33-year-old Rams coach also said that the team has been closely watching Gurley's knee since the day he was drafted in 2015. "We've always had the approach with him even going back to when we drafted him before I was here, and that's really where we're at," McVay said. "There's been a plan in place specific to monitoring that knee every single offseason for him and having a plan to make sure that we're putting him in a position to sustain that workload. This season will be no different."

A team source also said that the team is concerned about the amount of hits that Gurley is taking. The Rams running back has carried the ball 1,042 times since his rookie year. To put that in perspective, no other running back in the NFL has even carried the ball 950 times over that time span. Gurley leads the NFL in carries over the past four seasons even though he's missed six regular-season games in that time span . Rams general manager Les Snead didn't deny that the team is worried about the amount of wear and tear on Gurley. As a matter of fact, during an appearance at the combine Thursday, Snead said that the Rams may consider bringing in a running back to help take some of the load off of Gurley in 2019.

"There's an element of wear and tear and I think we have to determine in probably two stages: are we going to give him the amount of load that he's had in the past or are we going to lessen that load to let's say keep him fresher for the season and for the seasons beyond," Snead said, via the NFL's official website. "If you go that route, you have to have a good, let's call it Batman and Robin combination or add another superhero figure into that and figure how you're going to do it. We're in the process of figuring that out and I do think with Todd and his career -- it happens to a lot of young guys, all of a sudden they wake up ... and you're a little sorer than you were the day before."

The problem for the Rams is that Gurley's soreness has been lingering, which is why the team may eventually consider the stem cell option. Due in large part to Gurley's injury, the Rams brought in C.J. Anderson to help him carry the load at the end of the regular season. It was Anderson who first publicly admitted just how bad Gurley's knee was back in December. He was more hurt than what we thought," Anderson said on Feb. 19. "The injury was a little bit more than what everybody in the building thought, including himself."

The health of Gurley is now a $45 million mystery for the Rams. Gurley became the highest-paid running back in NFL history back in July when he signed a four-year, $60 million extension that included $45 million in guaranteed money. When the Rams signed Gurley to the record-setting deal, they clearly weren't expecting their offense to turn into a running back by committee, but as Snead said, that's something that could happen if the the 24-year-old's injury lingers into 2019.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
Its clear a team (any team) really needs a 1A and 1B to navigate 16+ games.

The position takes such a beating. You keep guys fresh, and guard against a missed game or two.

We probably rode Gurley too hard, but then again, he was delivering... so why not?

An injury, hard tackle, etc can happen at any time. Sucks Gurley got dinged late and never really recovered.

Fortunately for us, we have the 1A. Solving 1B is a little easier. We have options with Brown and maybe Anderson, but I also like grabbing a guy later in the draft that has that dark horse potential. They're out there every year.

Snead called it a Batman and Robin approach. I'm not sure if that's more or less involvement than 1A/1B.

Psycho_X

Legend
Wondering how invasive the stem cell approach is? If it’s not a big deal as far as recovery I wonder why not just do it? Is scary though. I think Brown is a decent backup and Kelly seems like a talented runner but you don’t know what you’ll get as far as anything else with him. Obviously having CJ back would be amazing now that we know this but we can’t afford money in the position. Luckily CJ is a talented zone RB and not everyone needs one of those plus RBs don’t get big contracts generally so maybe we can squeeze him under the cap for a few more years.

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
I don’t like the way this feels for some reason. I’m usually pretty optimistic about stuff like this too. Idk maybe I’m way off and he will be fine.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I love Malcolm Brown, but I can only deduce that McVay does not.

Because Brown should have been playing a lot more in the 7 blow out wins we had - maybe the entire games almost. Maybe he would have used Malcolm that way once Gurley got hurt (the way we used CJ) - IDK.

So if Malcolm isn't the answer - Tevin Coleman, come on down. Yep he'll cost at least $8 million, but if we end up having the space, I'd do it - this team is not the same without a good running game.

And more importantly, and weirdly enough - signing Gurley like we did really means we need to use him LESS, not more. Bring in a guy to be that 1b, and do so while Goff is still cheap.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
By: Cameron DaSilva |
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/01/nfl-rams-todd-gurley-knee-contract-extension/

Coming off a season in which Todd Gurley won Offensive Player of the Year, finished second in MVP voting and led the league in both total yards and touchdowns, the Los Angeles Rams felt the time was right to lock up their All-Pro running back.

Last July, they gave him a big check worth $57.5 million for four years, including $45 million in guaranteed money. It made Gurley the richest running back in the league and locked him up through 2023.

On the surface, it was easy to see why the Rams wanted to sign him long term. He was the best back in football and fit perfectly in Sean McVay’s offense as a runner and receiver. With 2,093 yards and 19 touchdowns in 2017, how could Los Angeles not ink him to a lucrative extension?

The answer is simple: The Rams could’ve waited a year, or even two.

Gurley was under contract through 2018 with the $9.63 million fifth-year option available in 2019. Realistically, the Rams could’ve waited until this offseason to get a deal done, knowing he was already under contract in 2019. They even had the option to wait until 2020, knowing they’d have the franchise tag in their back pocket at around $12 million (depending on potential contracts for Ezekiel Elliott and Le’Veon Bell).

Instead, the Rams jumped at the opportunity to sign Gurley last offseason before his price increased with the salary cap going up. Unfortunately, they now find themselves in a precarious situation.

At the NFL combine this week, Les Snead and McVay both talked at length about Gurley’s knee injury. They both said it was more about wear and tear and soreness than anything, rather than a new injury that popped up in Week 15. Having torn his ACL once already, there seems to be some concern about how Gurley’s knee will hold up in the future.

McVay told CBS Sports that the Rams have been monitoring Gurley’s surgically repaired knee every year since he was drafted in 2015 and that will continue this offseason.

“We’ve always had the approach with him even going back to when we drafted him before I was here, and that’s really where we’re at,” McVay said. “There’s been a plan in place specific to monitoring that knee every single offseason for him and having a plan to make sure that we’re putting him in a position to sustain that workload. This season will be no different.”

That’s not the concerning part. It’s perfectly reasonable for a team to consistently check up on a player who’s undergone surgery on a specific part of his body. What’s troubling is the way Snead talked about limiting Gurley’s workload.

It’s been about seven months since the Rams signed him to an extension and they’re already worried about limiting his touches so he doesn’t get worn out? This might sound harsh, but running backs aren’t meant to be maintained like a Bentley. They’re more like a daily driver – a car that gets you to and from work until it hits 350,000 miles.

Running backs typically get driven into the ground while on their rookie deals and replaced by someone younger and cheaper with less wear on the tires – just as the Steelers tried to do with Bell. It’s the reality of the position, and it’s why running back contracts typically lag behind other positions.

gettyimages-1093416586.jpg

(Photo by Mike Ehrmann/Getty Images)

Instead of pushing Gurley to the limit for five years before his contract expired, the Rams now have to worry about keeping him “fresher,” as Snead put it, for all 16 games and for seasons down the road. In other words, they can’t give him 25 touches a game because he’s going to get worn down like he did in 2018.

Snead compared Gurley’s situation to a marathon runner, having received 150 more touches than any other player since 2015.

“I do think with Todd and his career, it happens with a lot of young guys,” Snead said. “All of a sudden, they wake up – it’s like a marathon runner. If you run a lot of marathons, all of a sudden you wake up one morning and you’re a little sorer than you were the day before, so recovery, things like that have to come into it, but it’s something we want to be intentional about and proactive.”

Gurley has five years left on his contract with a potential “out” not coming until 2022 when the Rams can realistically cut him. Yet, they’re already considering limiting his workload in fear of him wearing down? Yikes.

The Rams didn’t do much to keep Gurley fresh in 2018 aside from sitting him for the final two games of the season and we all saw how that worked out in the postseason. We still haven’t stopped talking about his lack of involvement on offense.

It’s entirely possible Gurley will share touches again in 2019 the way he did with C.J. Anderson. Snead has already brought up the possibility of a “Batman and Robin combination.”

“Obviously, senior year, junior year at Georgia, he did the ACL,” Snead said. “So over that time, there’s an element of wear and tear and I think we have to determine, are we going to give him the amount of load he’s had in the past? Or are we going to lessen that load to, let’s say, keep him fresher for the season and for seasons beyond? And then if you go that route, you have to have a good, let’s call it, Batman and Robin combination. We’re in the process of figuring that out.”

So now the guy you’re paying $14.4 million per year is going share the backfield? That’s a tough pill to swallow.

This knee situation might wind up being nothing. Gurley could very well go on to dominate for the next five years, leading the Rams to three Super Bowls. He could also wear down in the next two years and become a shell of himself because of the heavy workload he’s gotten in the NFL.

Hindsight is always 20/20, but given the timing of his contract, it’s safe to say the Rams would’ve been better off waiting a year or two before deciding what to do long term.

Inhabit;ord=4549645409782.297;dc_seg=756255014

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
again...any opportunity for us to use more of our weapons..it's a good thing... would love to bring CJ back, but Malcom Brown was going for almost 5 yards a carry before he got hurt.... We need to use him.... CJ ….Brown...Kelly.... these guys can play, and if it saves Gurley..even better

Status
Not open for further replies.