How important it is for Los Angeles Rams to protect QB Jared Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
Geeez what crock. Jared is a young QB who is still developing. What he is now doing is learning how to read defenses. That in itself is an art. I agree that part of the problem is McVay not giving Goff a lot of dump off options. We have seen when he is able to actually roll out and has his receivers in sync with that Goff is very good.

I have been a big fan of Philip Rivers since he was a rookie. He is strictly a pocket passer and does not fare well when forced to move. Goff is actually better in that regard. But what separates Rivers is his ability to properly read the defense. When he does he will pick any defense apart. Goff is a work in progress and has shown growth each year.

There is nothing wrong with being a pocket passer. Just because the young dual threat QB is all the rage right now is no reason to simply criticize Goff for not being one of them. May I remind people that the GOAT Brady is a pocket passer. So was Peyton Manning. People simply need to be patient with both Goff and McVay. Each year we have seen growth in each. IMO NE has the GOAT & Bellicheat and the Rams have their own in Goff and McVay.

The author is an idiot. Goff is good enough to get to the Super Bowl (and he didn't drop those passes BTW), but suddenly maybe he's not good enough? I'm sorry but the premise is beyond stupid.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay famously communicates his pre-snap reads to help simplify Goff’s responsibilities, and when the Patriots switched defenses after communications cut off with fewer than 15 seconds on every play clock in the Super Bowl, Goff struggled.

revolutionary!!!

man these nfl writers are fucking numbskulls.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
According to another website with another bunch of self-appointed analysts, Goff had a QB rating of 111.6 when blitzed. Being blitzed means being pressured, at least it does to me, so what the hell.
Oh, and Brady was the worst.
https://clutchpoints.com/patriots-n...sser-rating-against-blitz-in-nfl-this-season/

They don't mean the same. A Defense can blitz and the RB and TE can pick up the extra pass rushers (blitzers), if they do a good job, there is no pressure.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Of course every QB is worse under pressure, and last year Brady and Rodgers did rank low too. But it's the variance that's being pointed out in the article. Goff has been literally #1 or #2 the past two years from a clean pocket, but has been towards the bottom of the league in QBR versus pressure. This is definitely where he needs to improve, and there's no reason to believe he wont the way he's developed thus far. But it is a fair criticism IMO and some of that blame goes to McVay and his long developing route combos even on 3rd down. Also, most pressure comes on 3rd down so I agree with @OnceARam here the loss of Kupp plays into his performance against pressure a ton. It would be interesting to see the splits pre-Kupp injury vs post-Kupp injury.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In the end, Goff is improving year after year in important things. He had some issues at times late last season without Kupp, his emergency target, and with Gurley being a non-factor at times. Besides Kupp coming back, the TEs should be improving more, and Gurley will be used more carefully, so he's there when the Rams really need him.

When Goff is Super Bowl MVP, what will these sites say?

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Maybe I should read the article before I comment, but here goes. Isnt protecting the QB every teams #1 key to success? Ok I will go read it now.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Maybe I should read the article before I comment, but here goes. Isnt protecting the QB every teams #1 key to success? Ok I will go read it now.

Check the comments also like OldSchool recommended. Balances out the perspective a bit.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
He did pretty good under pressure in New Orleans.
Exactly. He was under more duress in that game, than the SB. Billacheat befuddled Manning over and over. It is the reason people say he is only good in regular season. We only want to look at bottom line. Everything else is considered an excuse. We do it with everything.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I know we tire of this narrative but here it is again, Goff is very good when not pressured not so good when under pressure. From that we surmise that when Goff has to fend for himself and is outside McVay’s influence he struggles. The Pats waited until the mic cut off then changed their defense. McVay admitted he was unprepared for what the Pats did, it was totally against their tendencies, if McVay is unprepared how can you expect Goff to be?
McVay’s offense has been unstoppable since he got here does he believe so much in it that he hasn’t given Goff options in pressure situations? McVay and Goff are still very young and I think they both got taught a lesson by the master but I think they learned that lesson and now McVay is trying to develop the skills to deal with the unexpected.
To me this is the progression of a coach and a qb, remember Brady against the Rams in his first SB? Not exactly spectacular, how about Rothlisberger’s first time, not very good. The saying is you learn more from defeat than victory and I expect Goff and McVay will be better.
I'd like to see Goff improve on adjusting routes to short reads under pressure beyond relying on Kupp. If I don't see that moving to the playoffs, I will be genuinely concerned on who we face on defense
Kupp not playing definately created a problem for Goff, but not because Goff couldn't look for someone else, like if Kupp isn't there, Goff is stumped. It is because Kupp not being there made it easier on the defence. Instead of having to cover 3 top line receivers, they only had to cover 2. There was a huge drop off between Kupp and any other receiver off the bench in regards to route running, separation and hands. Plus the defence could pay more attention to Gurley out of the backfield or the tight end. This is why the offence stalled at times. Not because of Goff's issues. More a coaching issue, thinking they could do the same things against the best defenses with lesser personnel. Coach didn't account for that and it created a huge ripple effect.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/20...tm_medium=wasabi&utm_content=home-latest-news

Why Jared Goff is so much better under center than in shotgun
By: Cameron DaSilva
usatsi_11491639.jpg

The Los Angeles Rams may have a high-powered offense, but it’s not because Jared Goff is constantly sitting back in shotgun. In fact, it’s quite the opposite. The Rams use shotgun formations less than any team in the league dating back two years, frequently putting Goff under center.

That’s certainly where he’s at his best, and Sean McVay is taking full advantage of it. According to Next Gen Stats, the Rams are the only team that has used shotgun less than 50 percent of the time since 2017. Goff’s numbers are respectable out of the gun, but not nearly as good as his stats from under center.

He’s one of the best when lined up under center, having thrown 24 touchdown passes (most in NFL) and only three interceptions the last two seasons.

Jared Goff, Sean McVay and the Rams offense do things just a little differently.

The @RamsNFL are the only team in the NFL to use shotgun on less than 50% of their offensive snaps since 2017, and @JaredGoff16 has been one of the best QB from under center over that span.#LARams pic.twitter.com/xyUeoQlsnQ

— Next Gen Stats (@NextGenStats) July 18, 2019

It isn’t one single thing that makes Goff so good from under center, but a major part of his success is play-action. When he’s under center, play-action becomes much more effective because he turns his back to the defense on the fake handoff. It causes the linebackers to bite and open up the middle of the field more.

The Rams run play-action frequently when Goff is under center, and it’s easy to see why. He led the NFL in play-action yards in 2017 by a wide margin. Last season, 189 of his 209 pass attempts from under center came on play-action.

jared goff had 209 passing attempts from under center last year. 189 of them were play action.

— charles mcdonald (#1 bandana fan) (@FourVerts) June 12, 2019

Additionally, he led the league in play-action yards and touchdowns last season, too, continuing this trend of success on such plays.

Jared Goff had the league's 2nd-highest play-action pass rate and led the league in play-action yards and play-action touchdowns pic.twitter.com/xohBF2n61r

— PFF (@PFF) May 17, 2019

This isn’t to say Goff can’t have success out of the gun. He obviously can, but play-action fakes become far less effective in shotgun. That’s a huge reason he’s substantially better when under center, and it helps that he has a two-time All-Pro running back behind him.
Inhabit;ord=363176235210.5328;dc_seg=756255014

oldnotdead

Legend
Hello? Most pocket passers (at least the good ones) are better under center. Pocket passers are rhythm passers. so playing under center is more comfortable for them. Also Goff is a pocket passer who is in shotgun on obvious passing downs and under center when down and distance do not dictate a pass where he has the advantage of play action. Anyone who watches the Rams and understand their offensive concepts knows why there is a difference in passing effectiveness. If you compare Goff's percentage to all QB's on obvious passing downs I would bet Goff is still better than average, i.e. better than most.

nighttrain

Legend
Hello? Most pocket passers (at least the good ones) are better under center. Pocket passers are rhythm passers. so playing under center is more comfortable for them. Also Goff is a pocket passer who is in shotgun on obvious passing downs and under center when down and distance do not dictate a pass where he has the advantage of play action. Anyone who watches the Rams and understand their offensive concepts knows why there is a difference in passing effectiveness. If you compare Goff's percentage to all QB's on obvious passing downs I would bet Goff is still better than average, i.e. better than most.
This is another sign of Goff's football IQ, he played at Cal in an air-raid offense with most snaps out of the gun
train