How important it is for Los Angeles Rams to protect QB Jared Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2019/...ks-under-pressure-los-angeles-rams-jared-goff

Football Outsiders’ DVOA rankings for quarterbacks under pressure reiterate how important it is for Los Angeles Rams to protect QB Jared Goff

Goff is essentially two different quarterbacks. The one with a clean pocket? One of the best in the NFL. The one under pressure? One of the worst.

By 3k@3k_ Jul 8, 2019,

usa_today_10440208.0.jpg

..The bigger issue is with Goff struggling against pressure. In 2018, Goff has posted an 83.8 Total QBR when he’s unpressured, the fifth-best mark in the league. When he is pressured, though, Goff’s QBR falls all the way down to 11.3, which is just between Marcus Mariota and Josh Rosen for 25th in the league. That 72.5-point slide is the biggest drop-off for any quarterback in the NFL.

That was ESPN’s Bill Barnwell in mid-December talking about Los Angeles Rams QB Jared Goff and the two starkly differing levels of play he offered to that point.

When he was protected and allowed to operate in a clean pocket, Goff had proven himself able to produce as well as nearly any QB in the NFL. When pressured though in spite of the brilliance of Head Coach Sean McVay and the personnel around him, he was among the worst.

Over at Football Outsiders today, Scott Spratt has posted updated DVOA rankings for 34 quarterbacks and how they performed both when under pressure and not. It tells the same story for Goff.

When he was protected (and Goff had the fifth-best protection rate per their evaluation), Goff was the fifth-best QB in the NFL. But under pressure? Goff finished 24th in DVOA leaving him with the fifth-biggest difference between his performance when protected and when under pressure.

That volatility is perhaps the center of the attention for the offense heading into the season with the only personnel changes on the starting offense coming on the offensive line.

The Rams’ offensive line in 2018 was fantastic. The loss of LG Rodger Saffold III and C John Sullivan should not be underestimated. That’s not to say that presumptive starters OL Joseph Noteboom and C Brian Allen should be expected to perform below adequacy. It simply means the bar set by the 2018 line was set extremely high. I mentioned that they left Goff with the fifth-best protection rate per Football Outsiders, but FO also ranked them the best run-blocking line in the entire NFL.

And while the run game offers some unpredictability itself thanks to the saga surrounding RB Todd Gurley’s knee and the addition of RB Darrell Henderson via the 2019 NFL Draft, the downside isn’t as stark as it is with Goff.

For all of his skills and despite a phenomenal performance late in the NFC Championship against the New Orleans Saints where he was brilliant dealing with pressure, Goff simply has not been good under pressure on the whole.

Here’s Spratt’s thoughts on Goff:

It is an incredible story that Goff turned [his performance while not under pressure] around. But Sean McVay makes Goff’s pressure splits the most fascinating part of this analysis. With McVay, Goff went from worst to nearly first in DVOA without pressure, but he has made only modest improvements to his DVOA with pressure. It’s hard not to read those splits as evidence of McVay’s brilliance rather than Goff’s. McVay famously communicates his pre-snap reads to help simplify Goff’s responsibilities, and when the Patriots switched defenses after communications cut off with fewer than 15 seconds on every play clock in the Super Bowl, Goff struggled. After throwing to the same receiver running the same route on the previous play, Goff put the final nail in the Rams’ coffin when he panicked in reaction to the Patriots’ fourth-quarter blitz and threw an easy pass for Stephon Gilmore to intercept. That decision punctuated a season full of similar mistakes.

Clearly, Goff’s poor play under pressure is not a dealbreaker or the Rams would not have been in the Super Bowl in the first place. McVay has done an excellent job in limiting the amount of pressure Goff sees, cutting the team’s pressure rate from a league-leading 40.4 percent the year prior to his arrival to 30.7 and 25.5 percent the last two seasons, both bottom-10 in football. And the offseason should provide McVay the time to create strategies like a hurry-up offense to counter the blueprint that Bill Belichick’s play-switching provided for other teams.

Meanwhile, Goff has a more realistic role model for his potential improvement than Rosen does in Goff. Kirk Cousins was a bottom-third performer under pressure in each of his first two seasons as a starter and has climbed all the way to the top 10 as of 2018. One could argue that Goff is even ahead of that pace given that Cousins spent the first two years of his career on the bench.

So for Goff himself, there’s reason for optimism. He’s continued to improve individually every offseason, and there’s cause to believe he’ll continue to do so especially with as much room as he has to improve under pressure.

But perhaps more important is the performance of the offensive line. As good as they were in 2018, they didn’t make Goff’s struggles under pressure a frequent feature. The 2019 line will be tasked with the same.

Given how poorly Goff was under pressure last year, that’s a tall task.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For some fan context there is a very important comment in there from Ferragamo user. Stats are great but context is everything!

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Well, McVay doesn’t exactly give him options. Our offense includes a ton of long developing routes. Can’t throw the ball to nobody. I’m hoping to see more creativity with check downs. New England has done it for two decades. We should be able to muster up something that allows Goff to look to his check down if pressured.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I'm pretty sure every quarterback is gonna have tougher time when pressured. I'm also pretty sure most of them do much better when not pressured. I think I should be a writer. I keep it simple. :cool:

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I'm pretty sure every quarterback is gonna have tougher time when pressured. I'm also pretty sure most of them do much better when not pressured. I think I should be a writer. I keep it simple. :cool:

They're saying he was among the worst under pressure though.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They're saying he was among the worst under pressure though.
He wasn’t actually though. It’s a popular narrative and he’s a favorite target of criticism. Hell what’s the common line on how to beat Brady, Brees, Rodgers and the other greats? Hint it has to do it’s pressuring them.

fearsomefour

Legend
Well, McVay doesn’t exactly give him options. Our offense includes a ton of long developing routes. Can’t throw the ball to nobody. I’m hoping to see more creativity with check downs. New England has done it for two decades. We should be able to muster up something that allows Goff to look to his check down if pressured.
To me that just comes down to speed of recognition. Pre snap and post snap. There were a ton of times he would thrown to a covered guy (assuming the #1 option on the route) while there were other open guys.
Was that him not coming off the #1? Was that him not recognizing coverages and who would be open? Was that him knowing a check down was open but taking a calculated risk for a bigger play?
All these variables comes into play on every play. This is what bothers me about articles like this. There is a lot of assumption about things no one but the coaches and Goff can know.
One thing that is certain....asking the OL to block for 5 seconds is a great way to fail.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Goff has 2 years in McVay's system. He's still learning and growing which is why I've said before there is no need to crown him yet. Belichick outsmarting him is not some big indicator, as he has a history of befuddling many of the great QBs. In fact just using a WCO QB as an example I clearly remember the Giants whoopin the 49ers pretty good in the playoffs and Montana looking like a scrub while Belichick dismantled his protections and mixed up the back end.

This is year 3 for Jared and McVay has been working him on zone looks to include what sounds like having the defense in the right look to give him fits for each play call. The growth that Jared needs to improve is likely to happen because he's not only a talented and dedicated QB, but he's got talent around him and a staff that knows how to approach the teaching side.

I am so goddamn tired of these articles and all the media types that feel the need to caveat any positive they write about our QB with comments that allude to the BS opinion that it's really McVay making him play well. Like McVay's hand is up his ass and he's just a puppet, which is effin ridiculous. The stupidity of the media is just mind blowing. "There's reason for optimism" no $hit Sherlock.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
The loss of Kupp cant be overstated here.

Also, it would be interesting to see what the stats look like based on PA.

And I'll say it again, we have to bring our screen game back!

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
i think its much more important for him to get use to throwing under pressure again and not being so use to always having time. To me, his one big flaw is being too comfortable in the pocket and not sensing the pressure at times, which is odd considering his college career. Its obvious hes able to handle with pressure when watching college tape so i trust he'll be able to do it in the nfl too, but til he does it hes going to have a glaring weakness

Flint

Pro Bowler
I know we tire of this narrative but here it is again, Goff is very good when not pressured not so good when under pressure. From that we surmise that when Goff has to fend for himself and is outside McVay’s influence he struggles. The Pats waited until the mic cut off then changed their defense. McVay admitted he was unprepared for what the Pats did, it was totally against their tendencies, if McVay is unprepared how can you expect Goff to be?
McVay’s offense has been unstoppable since he got here does he believe so much in it that he hasn’t given Goff options in pressure situations? McVay and Goff are still very young and I think they both got taught a lesson by the master but I think they learned that lesson and now McVay is trying to develop the skills to deal with the unexpected.
To me this is the progression of a coach and a qb, remember Brady against the Rams in his first SB? Not exactly spectacular, how about Rothlisberger’s first time, not very good. The saying is you learn more from defeat than victory and I expect Goff and McVay will be better.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
One problem with the under pressure stat is it favors QBs that give up the pocket early and mostly doesn't consider a QB still in the pocket as being pressured. I remember seeing how the calculated it last year and someone demonstrating passes by Goff that didn't count.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Things we know about Jared Goff:

* Horrific Rookie year in college, followed by steady improvement until he graduated. It was horrific partially due to a new HC and new system and maybe not having the players to execute it in the beginning. He endured the beating and learned to be good under pressure, because he had no choice.

* Before being drafted, John Gruden remarked about the beating Goff had taken early in his college career, and told him that since he would be picked high in the NFL Draft, he would likely would have the same experience early in the NFL.

* Gruden wasn't wrong. Goff suffered under a "middle school offense" with Jeff Fisher. Fisher rolled with Case Keenum until it was apparent that he needed either a rookie wonder or a fall guy to survive a possible firing, so he threw Jared to the wolves. So much draft capital had been spent on Goff, he woud be given a second chance and Fisher had run out of excuses. Most of the pundits painted Goff as a bust after 7 games.

* Sean McVay was hired partially due to being excited about Jared Goff. He saw a kid who made no excuses about the previous year. He had examined Goff's tape in college and the previous year of futility and was excited by what he saw. Greg Robinson was quickly jettisoned in camp before th 2107 season, and FA Andrew Whitworth took the LT spot and is a star. Sully took the spot at Center, doing many of the calls on the line, which may have stunted his development, but made for good years in 2017 and 2018. Goff blossomed with Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp, Sammy Watkins (2017), Brandin Cooks(2018), and of course, Todd Gurley.

Jared Goff has been unfairly accused of being a robot, unthinkingly doing what Sean McVay told him to do over a headset. Critics ignore his numbers and accuracy and say it's all McVay. McVay is responsible for Goff blossoming into the player he is now. But make no mistake, Jared Goff has the determination to get better and has a history of doing so in college and in the pros. The critics called him a bust after 7 games, and have mostly never forgiven him for proving them wrong, so they look for any mistep for a "gotcha" moment. Get ready haters, Jared is only going to get better, at everything.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2019/...ks-under-pressure-los-angeles-rams-jared-goff

Football Outsiders’ DVOA rankings for quarterbacks under pressure reiterate how important it is for Los Angeles Rams to protect QB Jared Goff

Goff is essentially two different quarterbacks. The one with a clean pocket? One of the best in the NFL. The one under pressure? One of the worst.

By 3k@3k_ Jul 8, 2019,

usa_today_10440208.0.jpg

..The bigger issue is with Goff struggling against pressure. In 2018, Goff has posted an 83.8 Total QBR when he’s unpressured, the fifth-best mark in the league. When he is pressured, though, Goff’s QBR falls all the way down to 11.3, which is just between Marcus Mariota and Josh Rosen for 25th in the league. That 72.5-point slide is the biggest drop-off for any quarterback in the NFL.

That was ESPN’s Bill Barnwell in mid-December talking about Los Angeles Rams QB Jared Goff and the two starkly differing levels of play he offered to that point.

When he was protected and allowed to operate in a clean pocket, Goff had proven himself able to produce as well as nearly any QB in the NFL. When pressured though in spite of the brilliance of Head Coach Sean McVay and the personnel around him, he was among the worst.

Over at Football Outsiders today, Scott Spratt has posted updated DVOA rankings for 34 quarterbacks and how they performed both when under pressure and not. It tells the same story for Goff.

When he was protected (and Goff had the fifth-best protection rate per their evaluation), Goff was the fifth-best QB in the NFL. But under pressure? Goff finished 24th in DVOA leaving him with the fifth-biggest difference between his performance when protected and when under pressure.

That volatility is perhaps the center of the attention for the offense heading into the season with the only personnel changes on the starting offense coming on the offensive line.

The Rams’ offensive line in 2018 was fantastic. The loss of LG Rodger Saffold III and C John Sullivan should not be underestimated. That’s not to say that presumptive starters OL Joseph Noteboom and C Brian Allen should be expected to perform below adequacy. It simply means the bar set by the 2018 line was set extremely high. I mentioned that they left Goff with the fifth-best protection rate per Football Outsiders, but FO also ranked them the best run-blocking line in the entire NFL.

And while the run game offers some unpredictability itself thanks to the saga surrounding RB Todd Gurley’s knee and the addition of RB Darrell Henderson via the 2019 NFL Draft, the downside isn’t as stark as it is with Goff.

For all of his skills and despite a phenomenal performance late in the NFC Championship against the New Orleans Saints where he was brilliant dealing with pressure, Goff simply has not been good under pressure on the whole.

Here’s Spratt’s thoughts on Goff:

It is an incredible story that Goff turned [his performance while not under pressure] around. But Sean McVay makes Goff’s pressure splits the most fascinating part of this analysis. With McVay, Goff went from worst to nearly first in DVOA without pressure, but he has made only modest improvements to his DVOA with pressure. It’s hard not to read those splits as evidence of McVay’s brilliance rather than Goff’s. McVay famously communicates his pre-snap reads to help simplify Goff’s responsibilities, and when the Patriots switched defenses after communications cut off with fewer than 15 seconds on every play clock in the Super Bowl, Goff struggled. After throwing to the same receiver running the same route on the previous play, Goff put the final nail in the Rams’ coffin when he panicked in reaction to the Patriots’ fourth-quarter blitz and threw an easy pass for Stephon Gilmore to intercept. That decision punctuated a season full of similar mistakes.

Clearly, Goff’s poor play under pressure is not a dealbreaker or the Rams would not have been in the Super Bowl in the first place. McVay has done an excellent job in limiting the amount of pressure Goff sees, cutting the team’s pressure rate from a league-leading 40.4 percent the year prior to his arrival to 30.7 and 25.5 percent the last two seasons, both bottom-10 in football. And the offseason should provide McVay the time to create strategies like a hurry-up offense to counter the blueprint that Bill Belichick’s play-switching provided for other teams.

Meanwhile, Goff has a more realistic role model for his potential improvement than Rosen does in Goff. Kirk Cousins was a bottom-third performer under pressure in each of his first two seasons as a starter and has climbed all the way to the top 10 as of 2018. One could argue that Goff is even ahead of that pace given that Cousins spent the first two years of his career on the bench.

So for Goff himself, there’s reason for optimism. He’s continued to improve individually every offseason, and there’s cause to believe he’ll continue to do so especially with as much room as he has to improve under pressure.

But perhaps more important is the performance of the offensive line. As good as they were in 2018, they didn’t make Goff’s struggles under pressure a frequent feature. The 2019 line will be tasked with the same.

Given how poorly Goff was under pressure last year, that’s a tall task.

I stopped reading when I read QBR.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I'd like to see Goff improve on adjusting routes to short reads under pressure beyond relying on Kupp. If I don't see that moving to the playoffs, I will be genuinely concerned on who we face on defense

tempests

Hall of Fame

Yeah, well, unless I'm reading that chart wrong Brady and Rodgers DVOA(whatever that is) also took a big plunge under pressure, not much different than Goff.

Why am I not surprised there isn't so much concern about those guys.

TK42-RAM

... still not at my post.
I thought he did very well under pressure in the NFC Championship game.

His improvement after year one has been great -- expect another step up this season.