How good can this offense be?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
We all look at this offense--myself included--and know that it needs to get better in the passing game. But when you consider that they haven't really come together that question of how good can they be is profound.

I mean, this was only Gurley's 4th game. The OL is young as F with three of the five still earning their stripes and the center trying to prove he belongs. First time OC who undoubtedly hasn't totally solved how he's gonna use this insanely great RB weapon. First year in the offense for the QB. Even the WR corps is full of young guys with a lot to prove.

God help this league if the Rams offense ever finds a couple possession options to move the chains. Because they've already beaten the defending NFC Champs, the NFC West leading team in their house, and played the Packers in Lambeau like they belonged.

jap

Legend
This offense can be almost like Jim Brown plus the GSOT at its best. We have big receivers who can move but have inconsistent hands. We have a super thoroughbred who draws the entire defensive attention, allowing fellow game breaker, Tavon Austin, to do his thing in a much more regular basis. If Nick Foles can get truly comfortable passing behind that young OL, with sound footwork and working through his progressions quickly and cleanly, we can have something really special!!!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd say average. Gurley is very arguably the best HB in football. If the young OL can gel and play competently, I think with Austin breaking out and the other guys we have in the passing game, that our passing attack can be serviceable. Foles can make some plays when he feels comfortable.

Unfortunately, I don't think Foles is good enough and our OL/WRs/TEs reliable enough for our passing attack to rise to the level needed for us to have a good offense.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think Foles has the ability to be a good QB. Not great, but a top 10-15 type.
Our line is improving.
If we can build some consistency with our WRs, we could be a top 3rd offense.
With our D and STs, that would make us a legit contender.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
i hate to say but at the moment theres two factors that are helping us win games .. Gurley and our Defense ..if teams figure out how to slow down Gurley then we are our D has got a lot of work to do to win us games

we need to get better even Fisher said as much in his post game speech in the locker room ..the passing game really needs to step up and soon

I watched redzone last night and I swear I saw the rams like three maybe four times in 3 hours .. and that was the safety and the touchdowns

we need a passing consistent passing attack to take pressure of Gurley

just my 0.2

lockdnram21

Legend
Were going to need more from passing game. I hate to say it but I think vikes are going to make it hard for us to run. Were going to have to start passing more. Hopefully Cook shoes up again and hopefully we can get Bailey and Quick more involved. Maybe we will trade for a receiver today. I know fisher can see that's what'd holding us back

tonyl711

Starter
let this Oline gell and get a true #1 WR to compliment Gurley and Austin and we will have at the least a top 10 Offense IMO.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Say mid to high 300's, middle3 of the pack. The fact is JF is JF, his teams are not exciting on O. The year he has CJ break 2000yrds, and set the record for yards from scrimmage the team scoring was in the middle of the pack.

Gurley is pure electricity, but he isn't gong to score tons of points by himself...

FrankenRam

Starter
I'd say average. Gurley is very arguably the best HB in football. If the young OL can gel and play competently, I think with Austin breaking out and the other guys we have in the passing game, that our passing attack can be serviceable. Foles can make some plays when he feels comfortable.

Unfortunately, I don't think Foles is good enough and our OL/WRs/TEs reliable enough for our passing attack to rise to the level needed for us to have a good offense.

Agreed. This team is built to play with a lead. As long as the Rams get out front early, this O is adequate...possibly good (not remotely 'great'). But if they get down by 10-14 points, they just don't have the horses to make a quick strike comeback.

I'm still not sure about Foles. I'm inclined to think he can be better than he's shown thus far. But because he was getting killed every time he dropped back to pass the first few games, I think he's developed a case of the yips, and just isn't seeing the entire field as well as he might because of that. It does seem the OL play is improving, so it will be interesting to see if Foles will gain some confidence if he doesn't feel he only has a split second to find an open receiver. If he can get to that point and do a better job of surveying the field, I think he might be 'good enough'.

fearsomefour

Legend
I think Foles has the ability to be a good QB. Not great, but a top 10-15 type.
Our line is improving.
If we can build some consistency with our WRs, we could be a top 3rd offense.
With our D and STs, that would make us a legit contender.
I can't come up with 10 starting QBs I would want Foles over.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

Unfortunately, I think you're right.

fearsomefour

Legend

Of the "skill" guys (I hate that term) on our O the only guys who I would count as "must" keeps are Gurley, Austin and thats it.
I like Kendricks as a solid TE, mostly because he possesses the mix of skills that position demands. I like Bailey and Quick as well, but, they are barely getting involved.
To me I would move on from Cook and Britt after this season.
The Rams seems to have taken the approach in the passing game of being very conservative (low risk throws/protecting the QB) generally and taking several deep shots a game. I understand the concept. If you complete a long pass or get a PI call those deep shots can led to quick points. Worked vs Cleveland with a PI and a catch. Did not work vs. SF. Thats how deep throws go. It is also low risk given the D because if a DB picks a ball off at their own 20 you can trust this D.
For the O to be very good they need a complete passing game. Running crosses, slants and having a QB who can read Ds find secondary guys ect.
To me, it isn't about finding a "true" #1 WR, whatever that means, or God forbid paying someone like Johnson $15M a year to be injured all the time.
The best thing Foles has done the last two weeks is not turn it over....and that is big. With this D that may be enough in a lot of games. The Rams have outscored their last two opponents 51-12. This team could be competing for a title with a good (not great) passing game. I just don't think they have the players or coach to do it. What would it take for this coach to really trust a QB? No idea.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Gees you guys are hard to please....

I think when our o-line clicks (more) we'll see the passing attack improve. We may need a legit deep threat (sorry guys I don't share your love for Quick - never have), but I'd be happy to re-jig the WR corps and bring in Bailey more onto the reps, he has good hands and the football smarts.

I personally believe we are better right now than we were last year and that is damn good in my book.

DON'T FORGET. Most of us said in pre-season that it was going to be AFTER week 8 that we'd see improvement in the offence and I still believe that to be true - Redskins game apart (I think we lost that game before we went on the pitch) I'm really proud of the Rams - we're winning sloppy games (the key there is we're winning!!!

The Offence has been poor for years, our starting QB is still playing mid-season and he's taken huge hits, he's not let bad games mess with his head (too much) seriously, I think with Foles, Gurley, Austin & Bailey we could be a top 5 team.

I think Cook is dead baggage though and he may be best suited elsewhere, maybe Britt and Quick too?

fearsomefour

Legend
Agreed. This team is built to play with a lead. As long as the Rams get out front early, this O is adequate....

I'm still not sure about Foles. I'm inclined to think he can be better than he's shown thus far. But because he was getting killed every time he dropped back to pass the first few games, I think he's developed a case of the yips, and just isn't seeing the entire field as well as he might because of that. It does seem the OL play is improving, so it will be interesting to see if Foles will gain some confidence if he doesn't feel he only has a split second to find an open receiver. If he can get to that point and do a better job of surveying the field, I think he might be 'good enough'.
This was the knock on Foles when he came over. He has never seen the whole field or been good at reading Ds ect. This is why I didn't like the trade. That O in Philly takes reads away from a QB....gets the ball out quick. It may improve as we move along.

fearsomefour

Legend

I think when our o-line clicks (more) we'll see the passing attack improve. We may need a legit deep threat (sorry guys I don't share your love for Quick - never have), but I'd be happy to re-jig the WR corps and bring in Bailey more onto the reps, he has good hands and the football smarts.

I personally believe we are better right now than we were last year and that is damn good in my book.

DON'T FORGET. Most of us said in pre-season that it was going to be AFTER week 8 that we'd see improvement in the offence and I still believe that to be true - Redskins game apart (I think we lost that game before we went on the pitch) I'm really proud of the Rams - we're winning sloppy games (the key there is we're winning!!!

The Offence has been poor for years, our starting QB is still playing mid-season and he's taken huge hits, he's not let bad games mess with his head (too much) seriously, I think with Foles, Gurley, Austin & Bailey we could be a top 5 team.
Could be.
I think the line is certainly playing better and Gurley has helped a ton. I do think the O will continue to improve. The Rams are better in the sense that they are winning games they should win. Minnesota on the road is not a game the Rams "should" win, although they certainly could. 6-4 or 7-3 after 10 games is a real chance and obviously much improved performance.
I am not being negative at all I don't think. Just talking about issues that are real with the O.
The Rams O is not complete at this point and they can compete with any team in the NFC. They have a chance to make the playoffs and make some noise in the playoffs, that is something that could not be said for a long, long time.
I for one am greatly enjoying this season.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Could be.
I think the line is certainly playing better and Gurley has helped a ton. I do think the O will continue to improve. The Rams are better in the sense that they are winning games they should win. Minnesota on the road is not a game the Rams "should" win, although they certainly could. 6-4 or 7-3 after 10 games is a real chance and obviously much improved performance.
I am not being negative at all I don't think. Just talking about issues that are real with the O.

@fearsomefour - my comments weren't directed at you ;) - I'm with you on the Vikings game, I didn't think we should win that one when I saw the schedule, what I don't want to see is a total implosion like we did against Washington. If we can contain their running game, I'm happy for our secondary to battle the air race.

I agree with you on our passing game too, but I think conservative is Fisher's MO, which sucks...

fancents86

Starter
Not sure what to think since our O consists of Gurley and Tavon. If we can get Quick, Kendrick's, Studman and even Marquez in on more plays I say we will be decent. But that's a big IF considering week 9 is coming up and our O is the same.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I think Cook is dead baggage though and he may be best suited elsewhere, maybe Britt and Quick too?

The OL is definitely the biggest part of the equation. And you are right, that having midseason expectations of the OL coming together were very reasonable. These guys have honestly played better than I expected in a couple key games, those being Seattle and Arizona. And a 4-3 record given the difficulty of that schedule is very respectable even if it is mostly because of the defense.

I believe consistent offense is about being able to force matchups week to week not so much the "we need to have a #1 WR" stuff. An opposing shutdown CB can only cover one guy. Do you have the depth in your roster of guys who can execute what you're doing against the #2 and nickel CB or even safeties and LBs? I've mentioned this more than once, but look at the GSoT... What made them great was they could force 4 matchup problems every week: Faulk, Bruce, Holt, Hakim.

Right now the Rams have two: Gurley & Austin. Cook should be three, but he's too inconsistent. Quick could be three, if by some miracle they'd just say F it and work him back in as a primary read on more plays. Bailey is also a possibility.

Alan

Legend
Merlin noting the growing pains:
The OL is definitely the biggest part of the equation. And you are right, that having midseason expectations of the OL coming together were very reasonable. These guys have honestly played better than I expected in a couple key games, those being Seattle and Arizona.
There was a very noticeable improvement (to me at least) in our pass blocking (against one of the worst D's in the NFL) but our run blocking still blows and I really don't think that's a function of line cohesion. Strength and technique maybe? If it's strength I don't see that improving until next season as from what I've read, you lose a little weight and strength during the season. I hope I'm wrong about that. Maybe one of our experts can chime in.