How does the baton pass from Keenum to Goff?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TexasRam

Legend
I personally think the Fisher/Boras/Weinker idea of developing a QB means to implement a Shurmer approach in which the QB rarely throws the ball and very very very rarely actually attempts a pass over 10 yards.

The Goal is handoff to Gurley and throw 15-20 safe passes per game and do alot of punting and ball control.

Exactly how to NOT develop a QB.

My exact fears of why we shouldn't draft Goff.

The only hope is the Rams tank and fisher gets sent packing.

Then a real coach comes in to develop the talented QB. Which is essentially letting him throw the ball and learn by experience. Exactly what he did at Cal.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I think every scenario of Goff starting is a negative one for our season.

Me too unless it's just a learning curve and he gets through the curve.

To me Keenum doesn't have the arm to do that, IMO he's not capable of winning games.

Which is why he has a winning record with the Rams? How many Rams QBs can we say that about in the last decade?

My 2 cents on CGI's question: Goff may not start this season and he may not even be the backup, and that's a good thing. If Goff takes the reigns for any reason other than earning them, this is going to be dismal. The smoothest transition is next season. Tonight will be telling.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Ideal world - he doesn't "pass the baton". He becomes a hall of famer with the Rams leading us to multiple superbowls. Yes that means we wasted a few draft picks - but we get the end result. You trade Jared if he can't beat him out in a few seasons and Keenum has become "that guy".

Now...for reality. We all know that's not going to happen. So its likely what happens is Goff improves and gets more comfortable with the offense and speed of the game - he watches and learns. And he gets to a point where he's ready. At that point - Keenum's on borrowed time. If he strugges - he'll be on a short leash. If he gets hurt - that's it. Its not fair - but that's the life of a QB in the NFL.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Might be mistaken, but weren't Trent Green, Brad Johnson, and even Kurt Warner around 28 yrs old or so when they finally did something. And Rich Gannon didn't do much until he hit his 30s.

Very good point. It happens. I hope it does here, too... As it markets him for a trade, but maybe more importantly solidifies our depth.

Thats said; one might argue those guys listed possessed a bit more physical tools, compared to Keenum. And... While Warner was exceptional, the others were low/mid 80's mostly as QB ratings go.

…..

Legend
Might be mistaken, but weren't Trent Green, Brad Johnson, and even Kurt Warner around 28 yrs old or so when they finally did something. And Rich Gannon didn't do much until he hit his 30s.

May as well add Jim Plunkett. He was like 56 years old when he finally started lol