How does the baton pass from Keenum to Goff?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Serious question. I don't know of a scenario I like.

I mean... It appears Keenum is set to start preseason game 3. In my opinion, that all but makes it official he's starting week 1.

So...

Now Goff loses the practice reps with the 1's. Not all of them... But certainly enough. If Keenum is starting, he needs the lion's share. There are only so many to go around if the goal is to win games.

Does Keenum have to struggle for Goff to start? That's not a good scenario. Likely means we are losing some early games.

Keenum has to get hurt? That's not a good scenario. Goff has to play without the reps, or Mannion gets the nod because Goff hasn't had the reps.

Keenum plays well enough, but Fisher thinks it's time for Goff to start? That scenario doesn't make me comfortable either. It would seem to put considerable pressure on Goff. What happens if Goff struggles? Do you go back to Keenum? That would not be a good scenario - at all.

I dunno. I am not real comfortable going with Keenum. Don't we already know what he brings to the table? I mean, we drafted his replacement for a reason. Isn't that what Fisher and Snead determined?

I'd rather go all in on Goff and live or die by his development. If he struggles, at least it's productive development. If he sits... Most every scenario seems like potentially a bad hand off to Goff and 2016 is at risk to become a lost season. I am tired of those.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Hopefully Goff takes it more fluidly than he does snaps from under center.

:hiding:

In all seriousness, if the Rams get off to a slow start under Case - then its probably an easier transition. If they come firing out of the gate, tougher to justify the move. I suppose we could be looking at 2017.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
if the Rams get off to a slow start under Case - then its probably an easier transition.

Agree. But isn't that bad?

Likely means we are losing early.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Keenum gets nicked up in the Super Bowl and Goff finishes off the win.

No sweat!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I much prefer the scenerio where Case doesn't lose a game and the staff just can't justify pulling him out of there.

That works.

But, has Keenum suddenly become a different player?

Mind you, I like him as a backup. Just... As a 28yr old player we've seen what he can do?

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
That works.

Mind you, I like him as a backup. Just... As a 28yr old player we've seen what he can do?

Maybe so maybe not. He has bounced between teams - come off the bench - and hasn't been overly impressive. But he looks like he may be out best bet to win week 1. And if he does, then you give him week 2. And so on ...

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
That works.

Possibly, but we also have to remember that this is his first training camp actually getting reps. Ever. I know he doesn't have a huge arm, but I have always liked his game. Maybe he surprises us, maybe not. Those reps will make a difference though. This team can win with him until the kid takes over. Not worried.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Completely agree CGI, the transition is one of the biggest reasons I want Goff to start week 1.

He has two more weeks to get there. There is still time.... but it's tick-ticking away...

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
What's wrong with Case doing well but Jared going in as an upgrade WHEN he's truly comfortable with the offense? The ONLY thing Goff lacks is time in the system, and his ability to quickly process information can improve in practice and on the sideline. Sure, in many ways it's better on the field in games...but in some ways it's worse (confidence, habits, health).

If Weinke thinks he's ready, THAT'S when Goff starts. Did anyone else notice on Hard Knocks that Fisher looks to Weinke to judge Jared's development? It seems a better method than watching Ram message boards for sound football advice. Just sayin...

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I'm actually ok with Keenum starting vs Sanfran and Goff taking over vs Seattle. But like you said, I don't want to be sitting at 1-3 and then forcing Goff to come in and save us. That's not a good situation.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I really think it hinges on offensive game planning, injuries, and where we are in the win column. I think every scenario of Goff starting is a negative one for our season. I mean, where a winning season is concerned.

1. Goff starts week one, and there is a big leaning curve, but he comes on at the end of the season(if he comes on at the end of the season) and finishes with some really good numbers. We finish on the loosing side 6-10, 7-9. I think that record is being kind if Goff starts week one.

2. Keenum starts, wins some games, practices with the ones, and get's injured.( I do not want anybody on any team to get injured.) Goff comes in because of the pressure for him to start and he has a learning curve and looses some games. Fisher benches him, and Mannion comes in and looks pretty good. He wins some games but we still finish with a loosing season. We trade Mannion for a fourth or fifth rounder. Rams finish 7-9, 8-8.

3. Our offensive game planning is showing that it is strong at first. Keenum wins some games, but after a while, opposing defenses find us predictable. Fisher puts Goff in and we have to change the game plan to fit his attributes and it causes us to win two to three more games before Goff's learning curve and the opposing defenses catches up once again and we end up 8-8.

4. Keenum comes in and he never gives up the starting job. 8-8, 9-7, 10-6?

I don't really know if I believe in what I just wrote, but I was just having fun with it.

A55VA6

Legend
Quote from Fisher.
Cq3-ZFqUIAE9qrc.jpg:large

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
I really think it hinges on offensive game planning, injuries, and where we are in the win column. I think every scenario of Goff starting is a negative one for our season. I mean, where a winning season is concerned.

3. Our offensive game planning is showing that it is strong at first. Keenum wins some games, but after a while, opposing defenses find us predictable. Fisher puts Goff in and we have to change the game plan to fit his attributes and it causes us to win two to three more games before Goff's learning curve and the opposing defenses catches up once again and we end up 8-8.

The gameplan changes every week depending on the opponent. The playbook remains but the utilization of many plays that require Goff's arm strength and accuracy could IMPROVE efficiency and scoring. Goff is at his best in the hurry up/ no huddle and in the red zone. But he has to get up to speed on EVERY FACET of the game and this, my friends, requires more time than one offseason as a rookie coming from a college spread.

Keenum is good enough to carry the baton until Weinke thinks Jared is ready

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
@CGI_Ram brings up a very good point.....When is the right time?

I say it starts tonight...The only way he can get better is to play....He needs to see it, make mistakes and learn....Sink or swim is the NFL...if we weren't ready to commit to that, well, why not keep all those picks and wait with a guy with more upside? Why not do the Greg Robinson? The Mo Alexander? The high upside stuff...why change the philosophy now? If Goff can't hand off to Gurley and hit the occasional seam pass...the out...against SF...in his hometown......what the hell did we trade up for? And who's the coach supposedly getting him ready?o_O

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I don't think Keeums play will have anything to do with when Goff starts.

I believe Goff will start, when the coaching staff believes he's ready.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Not sure what the answer is. I would think either if Keenum struggles and we lose games we should win, or of course if he gets injured. Coaches obviously think more definitivly and measure many tangibles. Case in point, If I remember correctly, wasn't Warner 5-4 when he was replaced by Eli in NY? He went 5-2, lost 2, and got benched.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I could be wrong. Lord knows I'm always wrong at home. :confused:

But Keenum just might make the decision on when Goff starts a little harder for Fisher. This is the first time he's had stability entering a season. The first time he got extensive work with the 1's during camp. He's getting more comfortable in the offense. And he's actually looking pretty good.

I know Goff has the upside and is the long term future. But what if Keenum plays well all year? You gotta run with that. If Keenum leads them to a playoff spot you gotta keep playing him. There are worse things than having a playoff quarterback with a future franchise guy waiting in the wings for a year or two.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I thought the beauty of having a crafty veteran like Keenum was to have him in the wings if Goff struggles.
Cant comprehend a scenario where the time is right for Goff to take over, IMO he should start
If the team is winning, no matter how ugly, Fisher wont switch
If they're losing, then Fisher loses face IMO, as that is the only reason why he started in the 1st place. By taking over a losing team, there is more pressure on Goff, not less
Its a fallacy that Goff will "improve" while on the bench. He wont be working with the 1's and wont be dealing with game experience. There's no simulation for that. Well actually there is, its called pre-season, but he hasn't worked with the 1's there either...
I dunno, I don't want to be negative nancy, I just don't think they went about getting Goff ready versus this idea of him getting ready on his own time. I don't think any rookie QB in the last 10 years was "ready" just that the teams got them as ready as they could have been

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
This is question that has bothered me since the trade up to #1. IMO, the only way Keenum starts the season and gets pulled is if he preforms badly. Theres no way they pull him if they have a good record and hes playing good enough to help them win simply because Goff is now ready. If they do that and Goff struggles they may be forced to put Keenum back in to save the season and that could kill Goff's confidence. So that leaves 2 ways for Keenum to start week 1 and get pulled.

1. He simply preforms badly and they need a change, which doesnt bode well for our hopes at a winning season.

2. He plays poorly, but the rest of the team is good enough to overcome his struggles and they still have a good record to start the season. Thats probably the best case scenario, but also extremely unlikely considering how important good QB play is in terms of winning games