How do you get Quick onto the active roster?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
We need Quick in the passing game. How would you go about getting him on the roster this Sunday?

The issue seems to be bodies on coverage, and we know that Quick won't be running down to cover kicks any time soon. So who do we have on coverage?

- Pead
- Jenkins
- Marquez
- Hager
- Bates
- Alexander
- Davis?
- Lynch?
- ???

I honestly don't know who else plays on coverage. Marquez is, I think, the only Ram WR to play special teams (except Givens occasionally returning kicks and TA returning punts).

Now on Sunday we'll need a spot for Gurley, which means someone needs to be inactive. Not going to be Tre, not going to be Benny, not going to be Pead because of the ST contributions. And if we want Quick active, that means someone else has to be inactive, and we know it won't be Marquez.

Don't think they'll make any of the OL who've been active inactive, due to depth concerns.

So please, friends, help me out... who can we deactivate on Sunday to get Quick in, and who would likely get deactivated to get Gurley in?

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Inactivate No. 1 on your list.
Pead? Not gonna happen. He's our gunner on coverage. Fisher won't (and shouldn't, IMO) deactivate one of his integral punt/kick coverage players for a guy who doesn't play special teams at all.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
They need to do something. If healthy it makes absolutely no sense for Quick to not be on the field. Especially after the season he was having last year before getting hurt.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
I theory there is a plan in place if Pead got hurt during a game. Whomever was already active and in theory was his ST backup moves up...sit Pead for Gurley. I would sit Givens for Quick. Lets be honest at this point both of them are riding out their contracts here (not saying they aren't trying) but they are NOT the future of this team. Quick might be, we need to find out quickly (no pun intended...OK maybe a little intended) since Quick is a free agent at the end of the year that we have put so much time into. Gurley is the future hopefully, need to get him out there and let him get some experience. While I am generally not big on hurting your special teams (I think they are generally underappreciated) you need to find out about your major players. Gurley clearly is and many on here think Quick could be.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I theory there is a plan in place if Pead got hurt during a game. Whomever was already active and in theory was his ST backup moves up...sit Pead for Gurley. I would sit Givens for Quick. Lets be honest at this point both of them are riding out their contracts here (not saying they aren't trying) but they are NOT the future of this team. Quick might be, we need to find out quickly (no pun intended...OK maybe a little intended) since Quick is a free agent at the end of the year that we have put so much time into. Gurley is the future hopefully, need to get him out there and let him get some experience. While I am generally not big on hurting your special teams (I think they are generally underappreciated) you need to find out about your major players. Gurley clearly is and many on here think Quick could be.
Not sure who the next-man-up behind Pead as gunner would be, especially with Reynolds hurt. There's no way in hell they put Gurley out there to cover kicks and punts. I don't think Pead is sit-able.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Its gotta be Givens or Britt - or else you have another guy step up on STs (McDonald, McLeod) and sit one of the current Special teamers to keep all 6 WRs active.

Whatever it is - they need to figure it out and get his butt on the field. - assuming he is, in fact, ready.

I've been thinking back to camp - when I saw him he had the yellow cap on - but he sure looked physically fine to me. Maybe he is hesitating out there subconsciously trying to protect himself?

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
...the Jared Cook who is leading the Rams in receptions and receiving yards? That seems like a bad idea.

I was thinking the Jared Cook who isn't as good at receiving or blocking as Quick, but I imagine they're the same guy.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Anyone have a full list of who usually plays on coverage teams?

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I was thinking the Jared Cook who isn't as good at receiving or blocking as Quick, but I imagine they're the same guy.
I don't think the solution to a struggling passing game is benching the guy who's doing the best job of catching the ball, but that's just me.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I'd deactivate Givens for Quick, and maybe a guy like Lynch to get Gurley on the roster? Not sure how essential he is on ST and if anyone can take his place. Or Pead, depending on if they have someone who can be a gunner. I know in the past they've had Joyner do it.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
BTW - the core special teamers we have (based on ST snap counts) are:

(in order)

Davis
Bates
Marquez
Alexander
Lynch
Hager
Pead
Harkey
Cunningham

After that you have another 9 or so guys who play on one but not all Special Teams.

In case you want to peep it out:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/snapcounts
Brilliant, thank you. Really hard to find these stats unless you know exactly how to search for 'em. But snap counts... that's a smart way of doing it, I was looking for depth charts.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Maybe... maybe Benny gets left off the roster? Or maybe Benny gets more snaps covering kicks and Pead actually gets left off... huh. I have to think Cunningham is one of the odd men out this weekend. Guess a lot of it will depend on how Fisher/Cignetti feel about Gurley and Pead possibly taking snaps on 3rd down in passing situations vs. how Fisher/Fassel feel about Cunningham getting more involved in coverage and whoever the next-man-up at gunner would be.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Too many good players not enough game roster spots. Wow.

2007- 2010 anyone with a pulse dressed.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Why aren't we just sitting Givens again?
I believe because he played so well in the preseason and, until Foles and Austin show they can hook up on a post route, he remains our best (only?) pure deep threat.