How do opposing Defenses stop the passing attack of Stafford to Cooper, Woods, Jefferson, Higbee AND Beckham?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
The ONLY answer I can come up with is for their pass rush to get to Stafford QUICKLY!!

If the Rams OL gives Stafford time he and his Receivers will be VERY DIFFICULT (In my personal opinion/Pretty much Impossible!) to stop!!!

Last edited:

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I think ppl don't realize the Rams almost never use 4 WR on the field in 2021. Maybe that will change a bit with OBJ here, but I'd guess not that much. Seems like the goal is to rotate 4 guys in 3 slots, to reduce the overall workload. We'll see.

But yeah, one would think having 4 WR would create some mismatches.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Yeah, the Titans had it fairly well figured out by pressuring Stafford. That being said... his first 2 sacks he had plenty of time and were coverage sacks.

JYB

Starter
The ONLY answer I can come up with is for their pass rush to get to Stafford QUICKLY!!

If the Rams OL gives Stafford time he and his Receivers will be VERY DIFFICULT (In my personal opinion/Pretty much Impossible!) to stop!!!
Titans showed the way. Get pressure up the middle without blitzing and force Stafford into harried, stupid throws. Doesn't matter how many all-pro WRs you have if the QB is made very uncomfortable. Seems like we (fans) are always re-learning that well-established lesson.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
While interior pressure is the most difficult to deal with as it arrives quickly, you can scheme around it. You can move the pocket, can throw quick slants, run tosses/screens, etc. McVay just needs to adjust to this, particularly this week since Allen is hurt and was awful last week.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Using the same defense as the teams that were successful stopping McVays offense before.

Until McVay proves to have an answer to the heavy pass rush, last second defensive changes, and DBs flooding the middle of the field, teams will continue to use that template. He needs to show that he has cancelled that defense as an option to beating the Rams.

It makes sense. He’s gotten beaten by the same concepts every year since the Lions first attacked his scheme with that defense. He lost to the Patriots using the defense in the Super Bowl, they lost to teams like the Bucs doing it in 2019, they lost to the Dolphins and Packers last year. No they lose to the Titans and their variation of it.

It’s extremely frustrating that McVay keeps struggling against the same scheme when the solutions are not that complicated.

I don’t think adding Beckham is a magical solution in this situation.

dang

Legend
Screens, sweeps, bootlegs. Easier said than done but that’s why McVay makes the big $$$. Just recognize it early and adjust before it reaks havoc like it did Sunday night.

Ram65

Legend
While interior pressure is the most difficult to deal with as it arrives quickly, you can scheme around it. You can move the pocket, can throw quick slants, run tosses/screens, etc. McVay just needs to adjust to this, particularly this week since Allen is hurt and was awful last week.

I agree Mcvay needs to move the pocket more often and more quick slants.

It's hard to say McVay needs to grind out it more but, I think he does. When he has the run game going combined with the shorter mid-level passing game he needs to stay with it. He goes for the big plays that when unsuccessful lead to passing more which adds to getting too much pressure on Stafford. If this defense continues to improve using a little more ball control offense will be a great combination.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Stafford has had two games where defenses got to him quickly and snuffed out his early reads. Both were losses. But the real prob here IMO is that all QBs are prone to bad games, even the great ones, when those things happen. Fans tend to not remember Brady getting his ass handed to him, or Rodgers playing like dogshit. Because they bounce back and win big games later on in the schedule and over the course of many games consistently put up big numbers.

9 has put up big and consistent numbers this year. He is #3 in passer rating and ahead of Brady and Rogers. Only Wilson and Murray are ahead of him even with those two bad games because he's been Mr. Automatic for the most part.

Going forward I still feel like run game balance is the key. McVay needs to ensure he's checking himself there because we're not gonna win shit throwing the ball all over the yard through the playoffs. Teams that do that always meet a team that hits them in the mouth and eliminates them. We gotta find balance man.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Like has already been said, McVay needs to have the quick option to pass to outlets in every game plan, just in case they run into a pass rush like last week. Running up the middle right into the rush is not a good idea either. Thankfully, we have fast RBs that should be able to get to the edge on those plays.

Sometimes you have to let your short game and defense win you a game!

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Stafford has had two games where defenses got to him quickly and snuffed out his early reads. Both were losses. But the real prob here IMO is that all QBs are prone to bad games, even the great ones, when those things happen. Fans tend to not remember Brady getting his ass handed to him, or Rodgers playing like dogshit. Because they bounce back and win big games later on in the schedule and over the course of many games consistently put up big numbers.

9 has put up big and consistent numbers this year. He is #3 in passer rating and ahead of Brady and Rogers. Only Wilson and Murray are ahead of him even with those two bad games because he's been Mr. Automatic for the most part.

Going forward I still feel like run game balance is the key. McVay needs to ensure he's checking himself there because we're not gonna win shit throwing the ball all over the yard through the playoffs. Teams that do that always meet a team that hits them in the mouth and eliminates them. We gotta find balance man.
Agree that all Qbs have bad plays and bad days.

But I seem to remember lots of games from the likes of Brady, Rodgers, Montana, Manning, hell Johny Unitas where the QBs have been patient, taken what the defense gives, used short passes and runs skillfully, kept moving the chains, and won. And often eventually made big plays too after frustrating the defense first.

Belichek and Brady didn't come out gunning the ball downfield every game. Seems to me they had a much more varied set of strategies.

Haven't seen much of that from McVay and Stafford. McVay has not shown that patience.

(To be fair, he changes his game to run out the clock, but it's so mechanical an approach it's painful to watch and not nearly as effective as it should be. And last year he limited the offense out of necessity because the line couldn't consistently block, the qb play wasn't great, Kupp and Woods were the only serious receivers, etc. )

McVay seems to have one gear, one strategy. And usually doubles down on it. And usually wins with it. But.... it doesn't always work.

I would like to see the Rams' O with another strategy or gear, more or less already in the can and practiced up, to use against really strong Ds if and when needed. And to regain the element of strategic surprise, which we have totally lost.

Rams have the talent on O to do this effectively. Look at the run game against the Titans.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
But I seem to remember lots of games from the likes of Brady, Rodgers, Montana, Manning, hell Johny Unitas where the QBs have been patient, taken what the defense gives, used short passes and runs skillfully, kept moving the chains, and won. And often eventually made big plays too after frustrating the defense first.
I'll just observe that fans are way more analytic with their own teams. You see all the bad with our players. But do you really watch other teams like you do the Rams? I don't. I catch games and whatnot but I don't give a F about them like I do the Rams where I'll put in extra effort to see what happened.

This is why things like passer rating are good for getting an overall idea of how good your QB is playing in relation to the other guys around the league. But again with Stafford he's a guy who threw for 5k and damn near 5k again in previous seasons, he has to show he can win in the playoffs though. And the playoffs are going to look a lot like the tougher games we've had this season where he has had his moments where he didn't look so sharp.

So he's gotta be better no doubt about it. But what he already is, well, it's pretty fuckin good. That's all I'm saying.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I'll just observe that fans are way more analytic with their own teams. You see all the bad with our players. But do you really watch other teams like you do the Rams? I don't. I catch games and whatnot but I don't give a F about them like I do the Rams where I'll put in extra effort to see what happened.

This is why things like passer rating are good for getting an overall idea of how good your QB is playing in relation to the other guys around the league. But again with Stafford he's a guy who threw for 5k and damn near 5k again in previous seasons, he has to show he can win in the playoffs though. And the playoffs are going to look a lot like the tougher games we've had this season where he has had his moments where he didn't look so sharp.

So he's gotta be better no doubt about it. But what he already is, well, it's pretty fuckin good. That's all I'm saying.
Agree with you about Stafford. I wasn't faulting him.

My view for some time now has been that I would like to see McVay expand his strategic approaches to games. I suspect that if he coaches long enough-- and I think he will-- at some point this will happen.

oldnotdead

Legend
Don't forget they have lined Woods up in the backfield. They can go 11 personnel with all 4 WRs if Woods is in the backfield. They can toss sweep to either side or pass. That would give them Jefferson at X, OJB at Y, Kupp at Z, Woods in the backfield and Higbee TE. Watch the Freak Out!! LOL

Or go 4 WR no TE with Henderson in the backfield. Henderson will be on a LB which is a mismatch. Someone will be open.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't forget they have lined Woods up in the backfield. They can go 11 personnel with all 4 WRs if Woods is in the backfield. They can toss sweep to either side or pass. That would give them Jefferson at X, OJB at Y, Kupp at Z, Woods in the backfield and Higbee TE. Watch the Freak Out!! LOL

Or go 4 WR no TE with Henderson in the backfield. Henderson will be on a LB which is a mismatch. Someone will be open.
Um hello?

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
By ripping Woods' ACL to shreds...

Cry Cry Cry GIF by MOODMAN

Ramer

Been a Ram fan too long to quit now

That's a BIG "if"