How Cowboys view Rams star RB Todd Gurley, who told Michael Irvin he'd 'whoop up' on Dallas

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
How Cowboys view Rams star RB Todd Gurley, who told Michael Irvin he'd 'whoop up' on Dallas
https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/da...b-todd-gurley-told-michael-irvin-whoop-dallas

1506642695-848590416.jpg

Harry How/
LOS ANGELES, CA - SEPTEMBER 17: Todd Gurley #30 of the Los Angeles Rams leaps over Bashaud Breeland #26 of the Washington Redskins before scoring a touchdown during the third quarter at Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum on September 17, 2017 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Harry How/Getty Images) ***BESTPIX***

By Jori Epstein, Staff writer Contact Jori Epstein on Twitter: @JoriEpstein

FRISCO - The Cowboys know a solid running game when they see it.

They've built their system around it Jason Garrett's entire tenure, from DeMarco Murray when he arrived to Darren McFadden in 2015 to Ezekiel Elliott the last two seasons. The Cowboys invested in their run game taking Elliott with the fourth overall pick in 2016.

So the Cowboys know that the Los Angeles Rams, their opponent at noon on Sunday, have done the same. The centerpiece of that game: Todd Gurley, the Rams' 10th overall pick out of Georgia in 2015.

What challenges does Gurley pose to the Cowboys defense?

"Oh, a lot," defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli said Thursday after practice. "He's a unique man, he runs hard and he is fast. He can take the edge of your defense away in two seconds, and if he gets outside your edge, he's gone.

View: https://twitter.com/camdasilva/status/909818113776009217

"He's upfield, down... screens, good hands release. He's a terrific back, a big-time back in this league."

Marinelli isn't taking Gurley lightly. He considers Gurley, who ran for 1,991 yards and 16 touchdowns his first two seasons, a top-five back in the league. Gurley's production hasn't slowed this season. Through three games, he's rushed for 241 yards and caught 13 balls for another 140. He was named NFC offensive player of the month for September. The real kicker: He's reached the end zone six times in the three games, twice in the air and four times on the ground. He had six touchdowns total in 2016.

Oh, and he's waiting to beat the Cowboys.

"We're gonna whoop up on your boys," Gurley told Cowboys great Michael Irvin on Thursday Night Football last week.

Elliott praised Gurley's season.

"There's a lot of good backs in the league right now and Todd Gurley's one of the best guys," Elliott said. "It's going to be fun to be able to see him play in person."

The defense is looking forward to seeing Gurley in person, too, but knows the challenge is on. Defensive captain Orlando Scandrick said the unit will need to go after the ball constantly in hope of stripping it. Marinelli said it helps that his defense practices against a running game the caliber of Elliott and the Dallas offensive line.

Still, Gurley told NFL Network he plans to "whoop up" on Dallas.

Elliott will need to take responsibility for limiting Gurley too. The more time he spends carrying the ball, the less time Gurley can. Against the league's highest-scoring offense in the Rams, time of possession only becomes more important.

"We haven't done a good job at all this year keeping our defense on the field," Elliott said. "We've got to do a lot better at that. That comes from being better on first and second downs so we can convert those or have easier third downs to convert. That's something we've got to focus on moving forward."

If they don't, they may be watching from the sideline as the Rams and Gurley do.

Twitter: @JoriEpstein

rdw

Pro Bowler
He was teasing Irvin and the media writes articles like Gurley was making a proclamation. Ridiculous.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
"We're gonna whoop up on your boys," Gurley told Cowboys great Michael Irvin on Thursday Night Football last week.
Just to prove this ^ comment is on there minds!! Last night, on this weeks Thursday Night Football Pre-Game show. In a discussion about which 2-1 Teams, that didn't make the Play-offs, will make it this year. Michael Irvin went 1st and picked the Titans, OK. and Marshall Faulk went last, and pick The Rams and he went on and on about why!!
Well .. this is where it got really got .. Irvin popped in and said " Marshall, after my Cowboy's put a 'Whoopin' on your Rams, this Sunday, will you still like me!?!"
Well they where shouting so much at each other you couldn't tell what was being said. The entire group was trying to talk at the same time! They close the segment and went to commercial!
Look for a lot of discussion about Gurrrley's comment between now and game time Sunday!

JRobinson

MiLB
He was teasing Irvin and the media writes articles like Gurley was making a proclamation. Ridiculous.

I mean, are we surprised by this? Anyone watching knew he was joking around with 88. However, I do believe he's being very serious in his own heart. The confidence this team is boasting right now is evident IMO.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I heard gurley tackled Irvin, mounted him him ufc style and went ground and pound yelling that he was going to kick the living shit outta the cowgirls while he delivered a series of viscous haymakers. As Irvin went unconscious, gurley then ran up to the camera and yelled more obscenities about the cowgals

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Can't wait to see him run over the cowboys , he is back to having fun and loving football. What a difference a year makes .

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

That's sports media for ya.

Cowboys vs Rams....man....almost like the 70's

After reading this I stopped to think when the last time a Rams v. Cowboys game seemed "important", or at least had a feel similar to this one.

1980 Wild Card Game. Dallas won. Rams got rervenge in the WC Game in 1983. Rams won in the Divisional round in 1985. After that the Cowboys slid down and by the time they were back in the playoff mix and starting their run to SB's the Rams were out of contention as a rule every year. Then when the Rams rose up in 1999 the Cowboys were down.

Here is a link to the games between them.......did I miss anything?

It seems like light years since a game between these two teams has some juice to it, things are different now that's for sure.

https://www.pro-football-reference...._id=ram&opp_id=dal&c5val=1.0&order_by=pass_td

KDS73

Rookie

Welcome to 2017. Anything said or tweeted can and will be taken out of context by the media to push whatever narrative is needed to get site clicks. I believe "fake news" is still the term most people are using. There's just too much competition these days between "news media" sources in today's world. Simply reporting the truth isn't going to pay the bills. Honest journalism is dead for the most part. Lock and load accordingly.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
"We haven't done a good job at all this year keeping our defense on the field," Elliott said. "We've got to do a lot better at that.
Well wadya say Rams. Give him his wish. Let's see that cowgurl defense on the field all game long.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Well they where shouting so much at each other you couldn't tell what was being said. The entire group was trying to talk at the same time! They close the segment and went to commercial!
Look for a lot of discussion about Gurrrley's comment between now and game time Sunday!

Pretty much why I don't watch these dumb shows anymore. The only one I can handle is good morning football, and I rarely even watch that one. Yeah, unfortunately a few years ago these sports talk show producers put in a request that these fools must always be talking, even when someone else is. And that being silent is worse than interrupting and talking over someone. I've yelled "STFU" at the TV a few times before when they all did that. NFL Today of the 70s-80s you are sadly missed.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Are they saying that Gurley said he wanted to whoop up on the boys? Because it wasn't clear after they stated it every other paragraph.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Well wadya say Rams. Give him his wish. Let's see that cowgurl defense on the field all game long.

If the O is clicking and getting big plays time of possession doesn't mean that much 503. Denver didn't have that big of a TOP edge and they scored all over Dallas. Arizona had a big edge, huge, in TOP and lost to them.

This is a methodical offense and have a really good OC. He's not the fucknuts we had as HC.

I still say it's coming down to one well done drive, or big ST's play, or turnover. This is a close match. Someone may get all three of those, or two who knows. IMO this game will have just a couple of points where everything pivots in between trading FG's and a couple of TD's. I think the Rams have playmakers who can turn it in their direction.

I'm probably putting off having sex from 1 pm to 4 pm, passing on a go or two. Clearly I am serious about watching this game.

Vikings and Cowboys. Always hate. Only hate.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Welcome to 2017 where statements made in jest take on a life of their own for reads and clicks.

Between what passes for media nowadays and regular trolls and Russian paid trolls, etc, the internet is basically a cesspool of non information.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm probably putting off having sex from 1 pm to 4 pm, passing on a go or two. Clearly I am serious about watching this game.
Rosey will still be there for you Les. Not to worry.