How Bobby Wagner is aiding Ernest Jones' Year 2 development

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder

How Bobby Wagner is aiding Ernest Jones' Year 2 development​

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. – When it comes to mentoring Rams second-year linebacker Ernest Jones, veteran Bobby Wagner is drawing on his own experience at that exact point in his own NFL career.

"Just putting myself back to Year 2, what are some of the things that I would have wanted somebody to teach me?" Wagner said after Thursday's OTA session. "What are some of the things that I want to spread?"

That answer, according to Wagner, centers around processing the game.

When Wagner works with Jones, he wants to teach him to slow the game down. In their first or second season, a player can feel like they need to "get everywhere fast." As they get older, they realize there's a lot of wasted motor movement – something Wagner learned and applied to the way he played.

"So when you watch me play, I don't waste no steps," Wagner said. "Like, if I only got to take two steps, I'm taking two – I'm not gonna take six. And so just slowing the game down, processing the game, understanding ... you want your mind to be fast, but your body to be slow."

Jones is doing his part and welcoming that feedback.

"He's so receptive, he comes in early, he's a hard worker," Wagner said. "Like I said, he's a guy that can really be very, very talented just because of his mindset, the way he carries himself and his hunger to be great."

At this point, traits like that are not new to Wagner, who was familiar with Jones prior to coming to Los Angeles. However, he did learn just how wide that age gap really feels.

"That he was born close to the 2000s," Wagner said, when asked what he's learned about Jones in the time they've worked together. "That's probably the biggest thing. Come into the (linebacker) room, and you do the whole introduction thing. And I don't know why we thought to say our age and what year you were born. So I was hearing '98, '99, then I had to say '90, and everybody was like 'Ooohhh.' I'm like, 'I got a nine in front of it just like y'all."

Wagner is not so old, though that those players – especially Jones – won't listen to the wisdom he imparts. He will be bridging that age gap by leaning own his own experience from a decade ago.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bobby Wagner shares how Rams' defense differs from Seahawks' scheme​

Bobby Wagner was part of one of the best defenses in the NFL when the Seattle Seahawks assembled the Legion of Boom. From 2012-2015, the Seahawks ranked in the top 10 in points allowed each year and were regarded as one of the top units in football.

It was a very simple scheme they ran, too. It was based heavily on Cover 3, dropping three defenders into the deep thirds and playing zone underneath. And even though every offense knew what type of coverage Seattle was going to play, few teams were able to consistently move the ball against the Seahawks.

Wagner is in the early stages of his Rams tenure, but he already sees major differences between Seattle’s scheme and Los Angeles’ approach on defense.

“I think every defense is built on speed, but I think the biggest thing was with Pete, we were super Cover 3. Everybody knew it was Cover 3 and we were in the mindset – maybe kind of cocky a little bit – that we were going to line up and we were going to make you beat us. We rarely made any checks. It was like, we’re gonna play deep, make you throw the ball short and we’re gonna rally and we’re gonna hit you and pay for it. No team is patient enough to work the ball down the field like that. They want to take shots, it’s an offensive-driven league. I would say that’s changed because there are so many more coaching staffs that had the Cover 3 so teams figured out ways to beat that Cover 3. This defense, we have a lot more coverages, we have a lot more checks, we have a lot more adjustments to certain things to get us out of those tough downs and I’m excited for that. I’m excited to learn that and be able to check that and again, it’s a chess game between the quarterbacks.”

The Seahawks changed up their scheme a bit over the years as offenses adapted to their coverages, but they’re still primarily a Cover 3 defense. With the Rams, Wagner will obviously play a ton of hook zones dropping back into coverage, but he’ll also have opportunities to blitz, line up on the edge and cover the flats.

The Rams use a ton of Cover 4, which also prevents big plays over the top, but they mix things up a good amount with their rushes, coverages and defensive fronts. That’s something Wagner is excited to delve into.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The Alec Ogletree motto.

There 2 articles & was thinking I didn’t see that quote.Then found it.

Was just talking about just say the Bears MLB’ers.It’s not about speed.

The mentoring is awesome!! Add Raheem,RAMsey & now Wagner will only make The Rams defense better.

Ernest Jones Is not the fastest guy,but has become faster as a Ram LBer.So that is an example of trying to get everywhere fast. Easy to get caught up in.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Ernest Jones Is not the fastest guy,but has become faster as a Ram LBer.So that is an example of trying to get everywhere fast.
Wagner is the perfect mentor for Jones on this topic.

The knock on Ernest out of college was his speed, but… he had excellent anticipation skills. Wagner’s comments about taking as few steps as possible sounds a lot like anticipation.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Wagner is the perfect mentor for Jones on this topic.

The knock on Ernest out of college was his speed, but… he had excellent anticipation skills. Wagner’s comments about taking as few steps as possible sounds a lot like anticipation.
Yeah - CG I went to camp & was concerned about Jones.

You were hyped up about Jones. The thing I noticed the best about Ernest was how deep he would get in coverage. He also had good instincts getting to the ball.

EJ has a lot of passion for the game & took over playcalling late in 2021.The game he got hurt was actually his first time being the green-mic play caller. He took ownership of The Rams defense.It was actually pretty cool to see what leadership & confidence he had.Raheem Morris for all the negativity he took as a DC had a plan for Ernest Jones & had him peaking at the right time.
It was bad timing of his ankle injury,but in hindsite it worked out good.His 4th down play coverage of a TE/WR really helped The Rams win the SuperBowl.
IMO he was asked to play MLB and it actually wasn’t his speed that was the problem.He would get to the ball or pile & be there to make the play.It was his power & strength to stop the pile or runner from getting that extra yards(s).

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Wagz is in mentorship mode and he feels he has good material to work with. EJ was a great - not good - pick by Snead IMO. Time will tell but this could be the best ILB duo we've ever seen as Rams fans.

I think Wagz has at least three years of stellar play ahead of him and if we can hold on to EJ, we are solid in the middle for years to come.

This to me is one of the most intriguing groups to watch this season.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The inside combo of Bobby/Ernest bonding must be looking exceptionally well thus far in the OTA's & Minicamp.

Rams looking for funds just released talented but with a serious injury-prone history. ILB'er Travin Howard who was drafted in 2018 & was only available for two (2019/2021)of the 4 yrs of his original contract. Played in only 26 gms & 2 starts. Howard's contract was $2.54 mil.

View: https://twitter.com/RamsBeat/status/1534634271629279232?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1534634271629279232%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.turfshowtimes.com%2F2022%2F6%2F9%2F23161106%2Frams-roster-travin-howard-released-interception

The only Ram player that comes to mind of this type of cap saving would be a trade of SS Taylor Rapp resulting in 2022 Cap Savings of over $2.6 million

I would also think other Rams defenders who are projected to contribute to this ILB unit like Taylor Rapp/ Christain Rozeboom/ Anthony Hines/ Jake Hummel /Jake Gervase (ST'mer)/ Justin Hollins (can play DE/ILB/OLB) is a fully-packed unit going into camp.

DC Morris & new ILB'er coach Chris Beake are sure to make improvements in this unit that would appear at this time to be greatly improved! There are two new additions here too Anthony Hines & Jake Hummel both are completely different ILB'ers.
Jake Hummel
Anthony Hines

The position that ILB Howard played WSILB post would be the same position that Snead's first 2019 draft selection would be best suited to play in. Dc Morris likes Rapp. Hybrid LB/ Strong Safety Rapp is now in his 4th season & should be a major contributor to his defense.

Rozeboom is more of an MLB'er type who played very well on ST's last season, in addition, Rozeboom looked good in DC Morris's defense too.

I suspect ILB Anthony Hines along with Taylor Rapp were performing equal with Howard in the WSILB post early thus far, which caused this action late yesterday.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Jake Hummel Linebacker Iowa State | NFL Draft Profile & Scouting Report

NFL Draft 2022 Scouting report for Iowa State Linebacker Jake Hummel , Forty yard

Hummel's got some really nice tape. Looks like a guy who can start out on teams and also give them some depth chart options for packages.

Rapp yeah I agree he's a likely trade or cut target. Rams love him but at some point c'mon man. Though I've been expecting him to get squeezed out for some time now and been wrong to date. :laugh4: