How Big is the Gap in the NFC West?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
I think our O is going to improve on its own if Bradford stays healthy. Especially if we grab Robinson to lead the charge at 13 or trade up.

I think there's a tipping point for Ds, between very good and utterly dominating, and the Rams are at that point. The addition of Coach Williams, an upgrade in the secondary, man coverage, and exotic blitzes may make them just friggin' unstoppable. Now add Clowney. Wow.

I'm not as confident on the hope and prey method of offensive improvement as most on here seem to be.

Robinson won't make it to 13. Clowney has more chance of making it to 5.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I'm not as confident on the hope and prey method of offensive improvement as most on here seem to be.

Robinson won't make it to 13. Clowney has more chance of making it to 5.

I guess my confidence in the O comes from the fact that Bradford will be back, the O line will be improved one way or another, TA isn't a rookie anymore, Bailey started to come on strong even without Bradford, Stacey (especially if Rams grab Robinson), and the potential of Givens returning to his rookie form or better. Throw in Cook, Britt, Quick, Cunningham and Pettis, and I see serious potential for a good O.

I agree, Robinson won't likely be there. I'm hoping the Rams trade up for him, Watkins, or Mathews.

tbux

Rookie
When your offense isnt on the field a lot- the D no matter who you have wont be top 10- they will be gassed. That is what happened. Sea and SF D's are helped by their O being on the field a long time keeping them fresh. IE adding Clowney wouldn't help as much as improving the O imho. We have to improve the line, and add a dependable weapon on the outside- our D is already very good- add in Williams, even better, keep the ball longer on O- even better.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
We are on the cusp of greatness! Be patient but get ready!

I guess my confidence in the O comes from the fact that Bradford will be back, the O line will be improved one way or another, TA isn't a rookie anymore, Bailey started to come on strong even without Bradford, Stacey (especially if Rams grab Robinson), and the potential of Givens returning to his rookie form or better. Throw in Cook, Britt, Quick, Cunningham and Pettis, and I see serious potential for a good O.

I agree, Robinson won't likely be there. I'm hoping the Rams trade up for him, Watkins, or Mathews.

Well the games Bradford played last year the O was 21st, so Bradford simply being back isn't going to push us beyond that.

If the line of Long/Jones/Wells/Saffold/Barksdale can start all 16 games next year it's an improved line over what we had last year, but you've got to admit you're praying for health (and that Jones is good enough to start) with that line.

Hopefully Schottenheimer has finally learnt how to use Austin, and Austin's drops last year were simply a matter of a rookie adjusting to the NFL, if Colts Austin shows up this O could be much improved, and if we can stop the idiot special team penalties.

Would love to see Bailey with Bradford, I've been told by some on here that Bailey was the only WR we had last season suited to a Clemens lead offence, hopefully he's also suited to a Bradford lead offence.

Even in the three games with Stacey last season our O was 4th in scoring in the NFC Best (although only .04 off Arizona), but that's a really small sample size so we'll see over a 16 game period.

My problem comes in the theory that Givens, Cook, Britt, Pettis or Quick are going to be up to NFC Best standards, we have no evidence for this, we can pray that Givens pulls himself out of his slump, we can pray that Cook learns that that football shaped thing heading towards your hands it's OK if you catch that, we can pray that Britt is good enough to do the things he hasn't been for 3 years, we can pray that Quick figures the game out, but that's all we're doing.

If we draft Clowney and then trade up for one of the offensive players then you're first chance of addressing what was an awful pass defence is the 3rd round, you're also either praying that either Long can play 16 games (if he can't we're dead) or you're entering next season with Austin and Bailey as the only 2 WRs who have shown they are worth a damn depending on who you traded up for. I like the idea of trading up but only if it follows a trade down, and then we miss out on your target Clowney.

SierraRam

Recreational User
Hopefully Schottenheimer has finally learnt how to use Austin, and Austin's drops last year were simply a matter of a rookie adjusting to the NFL, if Colts Austin shows up this O could be much improved, and if we can stop the idiot special team penalties.

The "idiot" penalties made it hard to watch at times! - And I agree our WR's have plenty left to prove. Hopefully, a year of maturity helps both areas because I think the draft is going heavy toward OL and DB's.

NFC West = 6 tough games. But as far as the gap goes, we're right with the Cards; the niners' window is closing; and the seahags lost some guys.

We're back!

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
The Rams scoring should increase due to the turn overs created by the D and the 3 and outs created by the D. Giving the O the ball on TOs and 3 and outs will prevent the opposing D from getting a breather before coming back onto the field plus the more times the O gets the ball the more opportunity to score, and dont forget the sack, fumble, scoop and scores that the DL will come up with.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Well the games Bradford played last year the O was 21st, so Bradford simply being back isn't going to push us beyond that.

If the line of Long/Jones/Wells/Saffold/Barksdale can start all 16 games next year it's an improved line over what we had last year, but you've got to admit you're praying for health (and that Jones is good enough to start) with that line.

Would love to see Bailey with Bradford, I've been told by some on here that Bailey was the only WR we had last season suited to a Clemens lead offence, hopefully he's also suited to a Bradford lead offence.

Even in the three games with Stacey last season our O was 4th in scoring in the NFC Best (although only .04 off Arizona), but that's a really small sample size so we'll see over a 16 game period.

My problem comes in the theory that Givens, Cook, Britt, Pettis or Quick are going to be up to NFC Best standards, we have no evidence for this, we can pray that Givens pulls himself out of his slump, we can pray that Cook learns that that football shaped thing heading towards your hands it's OK if you catch that, we can pray that Britt is good enough to do the things he hasn't been for 3 years, we can pray that Quick figures the game out, but that's all we're doing.

If we draft Clowney and then trade up for one of the offensive players then you're first chance of addressing what was an awful pass defence is the 3rd round, you're also either praying that either Long can play 16 games (if he can't we're dead) or you're entering next season with Austin and Bailey as the only 2 WRs who have shown they are worth a damn depending on who you traded up for. I like the idea of trading up but only if it follows a trade down, and then we miss out on your target Clowney.

I'm not just praying things get better on the O. I watched them get better last season.

The Rams had a horrible start. Bad scheming, play calling, ball drops, no run game, special team penalties, and poor pass coverage in a soft scheme.

The excessive drops went away. The run game came on. Special teams gelled and started blocking well without the penalties. TA showed he can be a super star. Cook, while inconsistent, was very productive overall and had a far better second half of the season. Kendricks is Mr Consistent.

Bailey was reliable from day one. First on special teams and then as a receiver. While he was under utilised, he was always good. I was far from the only one screaming for the Rams to give him a shot when it was apparent Givens wasn't working with Clemens. Unfortunately, they waited too long.

The Rams O line is very good. They may need a starter and they definitely need depth.

Bradford was playing excellent last season. Despite all the turmoil, mistakes, drops, penalties, and poor coaching. If he's healthy, and that's always an if with him, he should be very very good.

My biggest concern about the O is Schotty. I'm having to go on faith that when Fisher says they've learned how to use TA, they actually have. That they have the players that fit Schotty's scheme since he seems unable to adjust the scheme to the players. I hope Fisher replacing the DC puts a fire in Schotty to do better. We'll see.

So, yes, I have confidence in the O. Bradford, Austin, Stacey / Cunningham, Cook / Kendricks, and the O line are all the real deal. Bailey was a superstar in college and I expect a big season from him with Bradford under center. While Givens, Britt, Quick, and Pettis all have question marks, that's a lot of talent that could emerge this season. It's not unusual at all for WRs to take time to emerge.

The reasons I want Clowney are simple: Immediate impact and elevation to greatness.

He can start day one. With Quinn and Long as mentors and Williams as his coach, the potential for an unstoppable pass rush destroying opposing Os is obvious. There isn't anyone else in the draft that could elevate the Rams to greatness at any position day one.

Rams also need secondary help. I could envision the effect of that pass rush letting JJ do his thing again. Man coverage, sticking the receivers at the line, forcing fast passing, JJ could shine again.

With that pass rush and Williams' style of blitzing, the O should have the ball more and need to score less.

The alternative is mediocrity. Watkins is excellent and I'd love to see him as a Ram but WRs usually take time and I'm out of patience. Mathews is good and could start, but he's not going to light the world on fire. Robinson could elevate the run game but could also be the weak link in pass protection and isn't a lock to start game one.

He can start day one.

Can he? You think we're going to drop Long to the bench in favour of an unproven rookie? Really?

The alternative is mediocrity. Watkins is excellent and I'd love to see him as a Ram but WRs usually take time and I'm out of patience. Mathews is good and could start, but he's not going to light the world on fire. Robinson could elevate the run game but could also be the weak link in pass protection and isn't a lock to start game one.

Watkins is going to take time but Clowney is going take time to love he can take Long's starting spots.

If you really view Matthews as "good" then it's an easy decision, I view Matthews as a Pro Bowl quality LT, so it's an easy decision for me.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Can he? You think we're going to drop Long to the bench in favour of an unproven rookie? Really?

Watkins is going to take time but Clowney is going take time to love he can take Long's starting spots.

If you really view Matthews as "good" then it's an easy decision, I view Matthews as a Pro Bowl quality LT, so it's an easy decision for me.

I'm not sure why so many people say Clowney has to replace Long. Why? Greg Williams can't figure out how to get all 3 on the field?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Just about the only times in our existence that the Rams have been talked about as being real contenders, they have underachieved. I just can't get up the give a damn to take anything these pundits say seriously.

This division is a crap shoot right now and it is the best division in all of football. We all know it will be tough sledding but it is entirely possible that we are top dogs this season and I would say that if we are, our core is so young that we could be there for quite some time.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
When your offense isnt on the field a lot- the D no matter who you have wont be top 10- they will be gassed. That is what happened. Sea and SF D's are helped by their O being on the field a long time keeping them fresh. IE adding Clowney wouldn't help as much as improving the O imho. We have to improve the line, and add a dependable weapon on the outside- our D is already very good- add in Williams, even better, keep the ball longer on O- even better.
Now this is very true. I kept harping about this during all those years while our offense was simply atrocious. People were saying our defense sucked. And while our defense was not as good as it is now, our offense made them look far worse than they really were. Fish said pretty simply that we need to score more points. If we take Clowney, my guess is that the next three picks will be on offense. If Clowney is there and we have no trade partners, I am going to guess that we take him and then either trade back up to get Watkins or Evans or one of the top O-linemen. We have 12 picks. It would be a waste IMO to pick 12 players. I have to wonder if it is out of the realm of possibilities to trade all but our Comp picks and end up with 3 first rounders or 2 firsts and 2 seconds.