How bad was the blocking on Sunday?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
I've already posted the PFF results saying that Donnal was the worst rated guard for the week. Ironically enough the top rated guard was the Viking's Michael Harris (explains a lot). However, I'd like to take a look at two plays in particular that I think show a good representation of how the day went. The first one is Gurley's lone carry in overtime that went for a six yard loss. The Vikings stacked the box with 5 men on the line with 2 linebackers and the safety Harrison standing just a few yards away from the LOS. The play is a designed run to the right where Gurley is supposed to go through his reads and hit the gap that is best. However, the Rams get blown back at the LOS and the result is nowhere to go (there is even one blocker lying on the ground) :

ot-110915-picture-1.jpg

At this point Gurley sees there is nowhere to go on the right so he tries to bounce it back to the left. However, the safety Harrison Smith is waiting for him over there.

ot-110915-picture-2.jpg

Even though Smith never did get Gurley down he slowed him up enough to allow other defenders to swarm Gurley and the play is over with a six yard loss. The Vikings gave the ball to the Rams in OT and stacked the box on Todd, daring Foles to beat them through the air. Foles didn't.

The next play was late in the 4th quarter on a 1st and 10 with the Rams at the 50 yard line. Gurley takes the handoff on an outside zone run to the right. Again the Rams right side of the line is blown back and Donnal is lying on the ground after being beat at the point of attack. This is what the resulting blown play looked like. Edit: Apparently you can only watch this on Youtube's actual site so just click the link and go to the 1:17 mark to see the play.

Gurley has nowhere to go but manages to break about 4 tackles to turn it into a 9 yard gain. The blocking was again atrocious but this time Todd was able to make something out of nothing. If this had been Mason or Benny they would've been lucky to get back to the LOS. The point is our line needs to get healthy and improve to even be mediocre the rest of the year. The passing game also HAS to improve because defenses are just going to start bringing 8-9 men in the box on every play until Foles proves he can make them pay for it.

Stel

Starter
From my view on the 37 yard line, 20 rows up, I have to ask "What blocking"? The Vikings seemed to be in the backfield before the handoff.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
From my view on the 37 yard line, 20 rows up, I have to ask "What blocking"? The Vikings seemed to be in the backfield before the handoff.
That's the way it looked on TV to me too!!

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
They were absolutely shit in the run blocking, pass protection wasn't bad, it was good enough to win even though they shut down our star running back.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I mean look at the 1st picture, the entire line has been blown back 3 yards off of the line of scrimmage. I mean, the linemen that were still standing anyway...

sostl

Starter
donnel wasnt fast enough to get the DT (thats why the play didnt work).. looked like barnes shouldve chipped him.
robinson also misses his block.

upload_2015-11-10_22-45-39.png

upload_2015-11-10_22-46-7.png

upload_2015-11-10_22-46-48.png

upload_2015-11-10_22-47-22.png

upload_2015-11-10_22-47-49.png

upload_2015-11-10_22-48-55.png

maximus

Rookie
Should have thrown it. Running the ball against a 9 man front behind a make-shift OL which was owned all game long? Great playcalling.

fearsomefour

Legend
donnel wasnt fast enough to get the DT (thats why the play didnt work).. looked like barnes shouldve chipped him.
robinson also misses his block.

View attachment 11038

View attachment 11039

View attachment 11040

View attachment 11041

View attachment 11042

View attachment 11043
Robinson just kills me.
Guy plays with such a bad sense of balance. Nose over toes a lot of the time. The first still frame (still frames can be tough to judge) it looks like he has decent enough angle on the D-lineman....the one second later he is on his way down.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert

You are right in terms of Barnes should probably chip the DT. My concern is the coaches did not make this adjustment after a watching this blocking scheme not work for the whole game.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Robinson just kills me.
Guy plays with such a bad sense of balance. Nose over toes a lot of the time. The first still frame (still frames can be tough to judge) it looks like he has decent enough angle on the D-lineman....the one second later he is on his way down.

Great against college players. That is the lure of thinking you can develop a guy.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Should have thrown it. Running the ball against a 9 man front behind a make-shift OL which was owned all game long? Great playcalling.

Yep the folly of not having a passing game. Besides that, at this rate Gurley will be burned out in 6 years. The Rams need more than just Todd Gurley to succeed. Making him the offense is a bad plan. Fisher should know better

sostl

Starter
i wouldn't necessarily say bad play, I'll say bad execution (robinson and donnal) and lineman recognition by Barnes. Barnes has to recognize the DT is playing a 1 technique and that donnal will probably have trouble getting in front of him. if donnal or robinson block their guy, it's probably a big gain

fearsomefour

Legend
Great against college players. That is the lure of thinking you can develop a guy.
Yeah, it is tough.
Makes me think of Grant Winstrom. Great college player who didnt develop into an elite NFL player, although he was very good. Chris Long was a very good college player who I think has developed into a top level DE....when all things are taken into consideration, keeping the edge, getting pressure ect.
Robinson has massive upside....it is way too early to say he cannot develop. He has improved from week 1 that is certainly true. It is just sort of frustrating to see a guy with such big physical talents play out of balance so much.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
You are right in terms of Barnes should probably chip the DT. My concern is the coaches did not make this adjustment after a watching this blocking scheme not work for the whole game.
I agree that the first problem is the choice not to combo the NT, and I would think Barnes would call that after an entire game of Donnal being abused. But I guess that wasn't the call and Donnal is supposed to scoop the guy. Donnal needs a quicker first step/better technique to cut off the penetration, or when it didn't happen switch to get into his guy and drive his ass to the sideline. So maybe Barnes makes the wrong call or Donnal was bad, but this result is part of the outside zone play. It's designed to get everyone flying wide and when penetration crosses the RB's aiming point he plants and drives north. That "cut back" is where the outside zone produces huge plays.
It doesn't happen because the real problem is the backside blocking. GRob falls down! :headexplosion: Cook is doing some shoulder-rub do-si-do instead of anything resembling blocking. If you envision GRob not actually falling down and making any kind of block, Gurley probably bursts past Cook's poor effort and puts him 1v1 against the SS that's back on his heels after he had to honor the end around fake. Even despite the interior issues this could have been a great run, lots of fail to go around.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Meh....everybody sees something....I see Donnal unable to make his block, which blows the play up...Simple as that...Greg reach block was difficult, but not the focal point of the play...The center shoulda chipped Joseph, then proceeded to the second level...Block the front side, and don't worry about what G-Rob is doing...Gurley get through the hole....Still, bad play call, and QB should audible out of it....8 man front, and we still run? With 2 backups? Makes no sense...esp. in OT....Quick slant here....maybe wins the damn game...

maximus

Rookie
i wouldn't necessarily say bad play, I'll say bad execution (robinson and donnal) and lineman recognition by Barnes. Barnes has to recognize the DT is playing a 1 technique and that donnal will probably have trouble getting in front of him. if donnal or robinson block their guy, it's probably a big gain

Barnes was the culprit no question. The DT was lined over his left shoulder. When Barnes moves right, he creates a wide open lane for the DT to step into the backfield. Barnes should have blocked him for 1 - 1.5 sec, pushed him back until help from Donnal arrived, then he should have taken on the LB. Donnal had no chance, he had to take 2 steps to get in front of the DT, one step with his left foot, one with his right. But the DT was already in backfield by then, Donnal could only attack him from the side, ineffective blocking.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Robinson just kills me.

Its time to call up the rookie 6-7 311 pound Isaiah Battle and prep him to get him some action when possible @ OLT. Nothing wrong with a little competition to get GRob's mind right.