How Bad Does The Atlanta Falcons Need A Pass Rusher?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
We have discussed & even other professional sports writers have projected that the Rams & Falcons could be the highly likely first round trade partners. If the Texans go QB then the Falcons/Ram trade would be legit however lets say Texans selects the top pass rusher with #1 overall then what effect would that place on Khalil Mack OSLB'er.

Anyone who watched the combine with the NFL Network heard over & over from Mike Maylock's professional opinion on Mack...he thought Mack was an overall better football player than Jadeveon Clowney. So am I wrong to believe that Mack would then be the top pass rusher on the board? Pass rushers do command much attention. I just read that Mack compares to Robert Quinn???
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1754653/khalil-mack

I am thinking the Falcons would be highly disappointed to see Jadeveon go off the board & would I be wrong to think that the Falcons would now stay put @1.6, not trade with the Rams, either select the top two OT's or go with a shot @ Mack? The trade deal promise would be dead in the water? :(

The only issue really for the Falcons is if they did turn their attentions to Mack would be ...the Raiders who select just before them @ 1.5 go LB Mack over WR Watkins? leaving them boxed in with the best remaining OT on the board @ 1.6.

Any thoughts on this?

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
They need one really bad. They've been below average at the position ever since Abraham left. Not good when you're going against Breese.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Barr is a pass rusher in addition to Mack and Clowney. They could be okay at 6.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
My concern with ATL trade is that they take who they say they want before the deal! Hate for them to take the OL person we're looking to draft first!

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I hope they need one so bad that they step on their tongue looking at Clowney and throw the farm at us!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Barr is a pass rusher in addition to Mack and Clowney. They could be okay at 6.
Thats my thinking that they would be fine @#6.

If Houston selects Clowney, Atlanta had better be willing to give up A LOT for Mack. There are going to be several teams offering a good deal for their top QB prospect in the draft.

Your mind works very well yes that's the very positive flip side to the position that the Rams are set @#2. Now teams who have shown strong interest in trading up have their chance @ the top QB in the draft. Rams now have 10 minutes to make a decision on a trade or stay & select. This is the big moment. If it were the Browns to trade up from 1.4 to 1.2 would the Falcons @ 1.6 still be interested in being @ 1.4 ahead of the Raiders? If its not the Browns and its another team like the Vikings or Titans then the Falcons will have to stay put play the odds. If Mack did fall to the Falcons @ 1.6 they could get a steal of the draft for pass rushing needy teams if Mack is the second coming of Robert Quinn.

My concern with ATL trade is that they take who they say they want before the deal! Hate for them to take the OL person we're looking to draft first!

Oh I am sure that the Falcons have two positions of great interest.... first a pass rusher & then a OLer. I do not think Snead would have any reason to know who they will select if they did trade he would have a good ideal though. Bottom line is the Falcons would have no need to trade up if they are fine with an Ol'er. Its that pass rusher thing and if Mack has that kind of value as Maylock thinks as a pass rusher.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Probably right on this,Bonifay! I'd take Matthews or Robinson at 6. Raiders need oline among many other players is my thinking.

tonyl711

Starter
if you are picking at #6 there is a good chance you are still looking at Mathews and Robinson, or one of those 2 and Watkins, I wouldn't complain about any of those 3 especially knowing we got extra picks plus one of those 3 win win for the Rams IMO.

laramsoriginal

Starter
rams can swap with cleveland/oakland for this years 2nd round and next years 3rd round pick.
I think Barr (Atlanta may be interested) is barely starting to reach his potential. What if the Falcons at #6 swap with the rams (13th pick) for a 2nd round this year and next.
Then rams can select watkins and Mathews/Robinson with the 2nd first round pick.

Last edited:

iced

supposedly Raiders walked away from their meeting with manziel "very impressed" - they're as qb needy as the browns or jags

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
supposedly Raiders walked away from their meeting with manziel "very impressed" - they're as qb needy as the browns or jags

Thanks iced that's the kind of information I can use...we sure need them Raiders in the mix for a QB too. I see the Raiders needing Sammy Watkins in the worse way. If I were them I would select Sammy over any QB there.

Memphis Ram

Legend
The Falcons could also use DT Aaron Donald who is a pretty good pass rusher, himself.

iced

Thanks iced that's the kind of information I can use...we sure need them Raiders in the mix for a QB too. I see the Raiders needing Sammy Watkins in the worse way. If I were them I would select Sammy over any QB there.

If I were a Raider fan, I'd be screaming for a Quarterback

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The Falcons could also use DT Aaron Donald who is a pretty good pass rusher, himself.

That same thought hit me yesterday because Aaron Donald can play anywhere on that front four DL. I would look real hard @ Donald.