Holmgren says offer to Rams was "every bit as good...''

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Cleveland Browns' Mike Holmgren says Browns' offer to Rams for RG3 was "every bit'' as good as Redskins'

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.s ... en_13.html

Browns President Mike Holmgren said he made “every bit the offer” as the Washington Redskins to move up to No. 2 in the draft to take Robert Griffin III, but believes the Browns had no chance to trade with the St. Louis Rams.

“Honestly, when it didn’t happen I think there are reasons that I can’t go into right now, but there is a very close relationship between the people getting the deal done and the people who offered. And I’m not sure anything we offered would have been good enough. We were very, very aggressive and it didn’t work,” Holmgren said.

Holmgren made those comments on a conference call with Browns season-ticket holders. The question about the Browns’ seriousness about the trade talks did not come up until the 54th minute of a 60-minute question and answer session.

“Most of the stories that I have seen – all of them I’ve seen – were incorrect in what our offer was, when we entered the process and in how we went about it,” Holmgren said.

The relationship to which Holmgren referred was the friendship between Rams coach Jeff Fisher and Redskins coach Mike Shanahan.

The Redskins moved into the No. 2 spot by shipping the Rams their first-round position at No. 6, their second-round pick this year, and first-round picks in 2013 and 2014.

Since the Browns own the No. 4 position in this year’s draft, an identical offer from the Browns should have trumped Washington’s offer. Holmgren’s comment about “a very close relationship” is the first explanation why the Rams seemingly left improved draft position on the table.

Holmgren indicated more than once on the conference call that the team’s Plan B at quarterback is to re-commit to Colt McCoy and Seneca Wallace and surround them with better offensive players.

“The draft picks we were going to use to move up there, now we have again,” he said. “So the other plan we talked about was to use those draft picks to get starters for this year and to help our quarterbacks on our team better.

“So that’s what we’re doing. Time will only tell. You don’t know what kind of draft you have for 3-4 years. Rest assured we aggressively were involved in that. It didn’t happen. We didn’t pull up our tent. Now we’re doing what we have to do in that we didn’t get that done.”

Holmgren and GM Tom Heckert both indicated the Browns, at this stage of the process, intend to use their first-round picks at No. 4 and No. 22. But Holmgren would not discount the possibility of trading down, up, or anthing else.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I'm more than a little pissed-off if this is true - that we coulda gotten the same deal from Cleveland and be picking No4 in this draft.

superfan24

Starter
interference said:
I'm more than a little pissed-off if this is true - that we coulda gotten the same deal from Cleveland and be picking No4 in this draft.

:sly: if Holmgren is telling the truth then Snead is another demon sent from Belicheat.
Don't believe for a second that they offered a better deal and the Rams didn't take it, doesn't make any sense.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Peter King ‏ @SI_PeterKing
-----Les Snead told each team, 'Make your best offer. This is it.' Both teams made an offer, and Wash's was better. Cle has no beef, IMO.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I never trust an article like this where they're willing to talk, but only up to the point where details start. Holmgren's perfectly willing to imply that Fisher and Shanahan are buddies but then when it comes to what the Browns actually offered, he gets vague.

I call B.S. Holmgren's just trying to save face and stay in the good graces of his own fans.

I also wonder what kind of relationship DeMoff and Shurmur had. If Shurmur left on good terms, wouldn't that only help with potential trades with the Rams? Also, why would the Rams want to help anyone else in the NFC?

It certainly doesn't make any logical sense for the Rams to turn down a better offer from an AFC team to boot.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
moklerman said:
I never trust an article like this where they're willing to talk, but only up to the point where details start. Holmgren's perfectly willing to imply that Fisher and Shanahan are buddies but then when it comes to what the Browns actually offered, he gets vague.

I call B.S. Holmgren's just trying to save face and stay in the good graces of his own fans.

I also wonder what kind of relationship DeMoff and Shurmur had. If Shurmur left on good terms, wouldn't that only help with potential trades with the Rams? Also, why would the Rams want to help anyone else in the NFC?

It certainly doesn't make any logical sense for the Rams to turn down a better offer from an AFC team to boot.
Agreed. And it conceivably could be "the same", but entirely different. Meaning, maybe Cleveland was going to offer 3 first rounders, but not their 2014 first rounder. It may have just been a preference on the Rams' part that they wanted first rounders for the next 2 years, and not just two this year.

superfan24

Starter
I'd love to see that Browns fan reaction to these reports now :rofl: :rofl:
double that hatred for the Rams

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Wow the grapes are sour in Cleveland this year :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
lol @ Graziano
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/ ... our-grapes

Couple of issues with this. First of all, Holmgren won't elaborate on what his offer was, which is silly if he really thinks it was better. Presumably, it was an offer of picks and not players, so he doesn't have to be worried about any of his players being upset that he tried to trade them. If you really think your offer was better, let's hear what it was and we can judge for ourselves. If you're right, it'll only help make your case.

Second, what are we here? Six years old? You didn't get the deal, Mike. It happens. I can understand that you need to sell the idea to your fans that you tried as hard as you could to solve your glaring quarterback problem by moving up to get Robert Griffin III. But there were other teams interested, and you didn't get it. Sometimes in life, things don't work out the way we want them to. Doesn't do much good to whine about it.

And third, even if what he says is 100 percent accurate, so what? Aren't personal relationships a reasonable and acceptable tool to assist in business transactions? If Shanahan has a close relationship with Fisher and the people who run the Rams, and as a result he knows how to appeal to them or is otherwise more likely to convince them to do a deal, then good for him. It means that, somewhere along the line, he did something that laid the groundwork to allow him to get business done down the road. Happens in sports and any other business in the world, and there's nothing wrong with it.

The Rams got an absolute haul from the Redskins -- three first-round picks and a second-round pick for one first. If Holmgren was going to beat that, it wasn't going to be by much. And even if he did, the Rams got more than fair value for their pick. Good for them, good for the Redskins and too bad for the Browns, who are just going to have to look elsewhere for a quarterback. Because those are the breaks.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
moklerman said:

Fantastic points. I didnt even think about Shurmur until now. No reason to think why he wouldnt still have some good relationships with folks in our organization.

This was also a message for the season ticket holders: "we tried to get the deal done, but the other 2 teams had a good relationship, thats why it didnt work out in our favor." Everyone knows the Browns were in the best position to get that #2 pick, so this looked like Holmgren wasnt doing enough to improve the team, so now he publicly places the blame on Fisher and Shanahan. Smart marketing move.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
I read an article the day after the trade hit the wires(cant remember from who) that suggested the Browns did have a superior offer to the Redskins. The author said that the Browns offer came AFTER we already had agreed upon the deal with the Redskins and that it was to late to renege on the trade with the Skins.

So Homgren maybe telling the truth, while leaving out that small detail, to appease the fan base.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Holmgren needs to get the hell over it.

. . . and we still haven't heard what his offer was. How conveeeeeeeeenient.

steferfootball

Starter
"every bit as good" could mean anything.

According to the trade value chart, a future pick is worth one round less than a current pick. (and possibly two rounds lower for two years in the future...Idonno)

So He could have offered #4 and #22 thinking that was "every bit as good." But whatever, I'm "every bit as happy" with this deal.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Selassie I said:
The Walrus is trying to perform much needed Damage Control. :yawn:

Pretty much. But what I don't really get is that he can't just come out and say - hey - we may be one of the few teams that can say we have more holes to fill than the Rams. For us to mortgage all our draft picks and therefore our real opportunities to fill those holes, would have likely been bad for our franchise and RG3 as well. Man up Holmgren. Do you really think the fans give a damn about "we tried but they didn't like us"? Yeah - THAT plays.

A call to season ticket holders? Why not instead take the offensive? "We made a great offer that would work for our franchise without damaging it for the future. It was in the team's best interest to use the draft picks we have to build a team - not just improve one position of perceived need." Then make a statement to pump up Colt McCoy in both the fans' eyes and his own.

Am I the only one who thought that Colt was far from the problem in Cleveland? I realize how important a QB is but from what I saw, he wasn't half bad. I'm guessing he will be far better than Flynn. Will RG3 be then next coming? Maybe. Can the Browns give up four likely starters to take that chance when they have a very serviceable QB in Colt?