Hoge: Clowney is Athletic But Lacks Football Skill Set

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend

Merril Hoge joins the desk with ESPN First Take’s Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless to compare the defensive football skill set of Khalil Mack to Jadeveon Clowney. Hoge says Mack is the best defensive player he’s evaluated in 15 years. He says Clowney is undisciplined, plays high, doesn’t use his hands well, and is stiff. His work ethic, commitment and passion for the game is poor. (6:58)

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
NOT a talent evaluator, MORE of a joke.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I don't think there's anything wrong with what Merril Hoge said. I thought he was gonna be very loud about it, but he brought up good points. This is why he's the guy I least want to see drafted by the Rams.

I don't trust JC, and it seems a lot of people don't either.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Haven't we seen enough examples the past 5 years of players coming out of college that have the physical abilities, but not the heart? Once this roster is filled top to bottom with viable players like the Niners or the seachickens, THEN the Rams can take fliers on project-potential. Until then, this team needs to draft for need, not "potential".

This is the third season of the rebuild, it's time to shyte of get off the pot. If this team can't get competitive in its own division, what's the point?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Not saying I want the Rams to take him, but Hoge is just trying to be the new Skip Bayless...

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was going to give this a full read until he said michael sam is better. Now its not worth my time.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I couldn't even tolerate watching the video due to Bayless and S.A. Smith's presence. Every time I hear one of them speak I feel like my ears need a good douching!

JoeBo21

Hall of Fame
36968701.jpg

Merrill Hoge is a tool. Made some good points but went a little overboard. lol at the end.. "actually I think it was only about 15 reps" um.. no Hoge. It was 21. Good try though. Bench press isn't that important unless it's really low. The real DPOY Quinn put up 22

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Not saying I want the Rams to take him, but Hoge is just trying to be the new Skip Bayless...

Agreed. And I thought Hoge could get any more annoying........

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Haven't we seen enough examples the past 5 years of players coming out of college that have the physical abilities, but not the heart? Once this roster is filled top to bottom with viable players like the Niners or the seachickens, THEN the Rams can take fliers on project-potential. Until then, this team needs to draft for need, not "potential".

This is the third season of the rebuild, it's time to shyte of get off the pot. If this team can't get competitive in its own division, what's the point?

Yep.
Doesn't Jason Smith kind of fit that description?

A55VA6

Legend
Hoge is one of the biggest dumbs pricks around. Listen to nothing he says. Nothing at all.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The look on stephen a's face before you click play pretty much sums up my reaction to this

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
This Hoge guy is a pseudo football expert. I've watched all the film on Cloweny and Manziel.
And Hoge is so far off base with his ridiculous evaluations, it isn't even funny. My guess? Hoge just says the opposite of what is true, so that he can get attention.
That's why he took the two biggest names in the draft to hammer. I guess it worked, cause here we are talking about the blowhard.

Last edited:
There's a euphemism I hear quite often on another forum: Hoge

As in "I just took a massive Hoge"

or "You are so full of Hoge"

I get it now.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
How do we get these guys to talk about THE FUCKING QUARTERBACKS in the draft.

I think we should start flooding talk shows with calls about that to generate some of this type of hype and buzz and chatter.