Hochman: No QB Means No Hope

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Hochman: No QB means no hope
• By Benjamin Hochman

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_14d4af46-98d7-5b33-8474-48038a42de46.html

On Jan. 15, 2005, a spry ballplayer, fresh off his rookie season, turned 25 years old.

His name was Matt Holliday.

On that same date, Topher Grace hosted “Saturday Night Live” and “The Da Vinci Code” topped the New York Times bestseller list. And the St. Louis Rams played a playoff game.

Their most recent playoff game.

Eleven consecutive seasons now, the Rams haven’t made it to the postseason, confirmed Sunday with Seattle’s win. The Rams are officially eliminated from playoff contention, so I suppose this is the obituary of the Rams’ playoff hopes.

Now, the Rams could very well win at Seattle and San Francisco, finishing 8-8, and then you’ll hear about momentum for St. Louis heading into next season (assuming the Rams play in St. Louis next season). “They won their four final games! Case Keenum could be the answer!”

No. No. Stop it. No.

Whether the Rams finish with six, seven or eight wins, this season was a failure.

We can talk about Jeff Fisher, and how it’s historically inexplicable that he’ll probably keep his job after four seasons without playoff football.

But the Rams’ problem is the man he and the front office picked to be the franchise’s quarterback – a man who hasn’t played like a franchise quarterback.

Nick Foles — a nice fellow and all that — isn’t the future. Keenum — fun story and all that — is not the transcendent signal-caller who can lead a team to relevance over a full season.

The Rams’ starting quarterback for 2016 should be someone who isn’t on the team in 2015.

As for Foles, the Rams can’t do much about the extension and guaranteed money they gave him before his first St. Louis game. It happened. And yes, give the Rams some credit for taking a chance on Foles. But they cannot waste time trying to see this particular investment through. They haven’t played a playoff game since Jan. 15, 2005. And next season, they’ll either be trying to win over a new fan base, or trying, somehow, to convince their current fan base that something will actually be different in 2016.

The Rams must be creative in the trade market or bold in the draft room and find a quarterback.

I know this sounds simple, for football is such a complex and strategic puzzle, but if you don’t have a quarterback who is really good at football, you probably won’t make the playoffs. The amount of impact a quarterback has on a team is disproportionately high compared to the other positions. Ernie Accorsi, the longtime NFL executive, was often quoted of saying that, in a way, maybe the second-most important position on a team is the backup quarterback. Defense is important but a quarterback is imperative. A rushing game can change the game — we’ve seen it at times with Todd Gurley — but a complementary passing game isn’t a luxury in the 2015 NFL; it’s a necessity.

Accorsi actually mentored John Elway, now the Broncos’ general manager. Elway has occasionally quoted Accorsi’s advice: “If you want to build a winning team, you need two things. You had better get a quarterback, and then you had better get a guy who can knock down the quarterback.”

The Rams have Aaron Donald (and Robert Quinn should be back next season), but they don’t have a quarterback and, really, they don’t have an offensive line to protect him.

The result, when Foles played, was gross. And, man, what a tease, too, after that opening win against Seattle.

So, ESPN has a stat called Total Quarterback Rating (Total QBR) . Yes, some of you are wary of a stat that wasn’t on the back of trading cards in your childhood. But smart people cook up these numbers — I actually personally know Dean Oliver, the mathematician who helped popularize this stat. As Oliver explains to readers on ESPN’s site: “The Total Quarterback Rating is a statistical measure that incorporates the contexts and details of a quarterback’s throws and what they mean for wins. … We understand first what each play means to the team, then we give credit to the quarterback for what happened on that play, based on what he contributed.”

OK, so here we go. Entering Sunday, Carson Palmer led the NFL with an 83.6 Total QBR. Ranked 32nd? Nicholas Edward Foles, 30.0.

It doesn’t matter what city the Rams call home next season: If they don’t get good quarterback play, they’ll still be the same old Rams.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i was with him until he used the qbr.

passer rating - palmer 106.7 (2nd - wilson 111.4), foles 69.0 (2nd last - peyton 67.6)

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
So, ESPN has a stat called Total Quarterback Rating (Total QBR) . Yes, some of you are wary of a stat that wasn’t on the back of trading cards in your childhood. But smart people cook up these numbers
I like how he talks down to me without knowing who I am.

Makes me wanna read everything he writes.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
6a00d83451be8f69e201a73e175d1e970d-320wi.jpeg

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Makes you wonder why they spend so much money putting all of those other players on the field, don't it?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes, some of you are wary of a stat that wasn’t on the back of trading cards in your childhood.

No, I'm wary of a stat that was marketed by ESPN to further their own agenda. I'm also wary of smug journalists that can't tell said stat is utter shit. Especially when said journalist probably couldn't hang with a number of the people he's talking down to in a football discussion.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Holy smokes, for all of the hubbub about the Eagles system, there's Bradford at 30 with a 39.6 rating, whatever that is.

Andy Dalton is at 4 with a 73.1 rating, whatever that is.

And Ryan Fitzpatrick with the wizard beard at #9 with a 67.0 rating, whatever that is.

Yeah, I didn't really expect us to have a shot at Fitzpatrick, but everyone knows that coaches design their offenses around that ESPN generated magic number, whateva whatevs, so that shot our chance for him in 2016 to 1/∞

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I mean...the premise is right.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Does anyone really look on NFL trading cards for statistics?

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
This no QB thing just reminded me of something funny...

I was watching a bunch of football over Thanksgiving with my Brother in Law and his Father. They are huge football fans. Guess what the Father says to me at some point late in the day... "You have QB envy!"

He's fucking right too. Hahahahaha. I guess it's obvious when you watch a game with me.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I thought the premise was a given.
Sorta like saying water is wet.

Yes but this is meaningless until ESPN come up with a stat so I can see how wet one body of water is compared to another.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Russ Lande joined Nick and Mike to give his thoughts on 2 of the 3 Rams pro-bowlers, Aaron Donald’s DPOY chances, the future at QB for the Rams, the NFL Draft prospects, and Michigan St. in the college football playoffs.

Listen to Lande Talk Rams QB

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
An early look at the Rams and the 2016 quarterback market
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...k-at-the-rams-and-the-2016-quarterback-market

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- We're not breaking any new ground when we say that the St. Louis Rams enter the offseason with their biggest roster question (among many) remaining the same as what it was a year ago.

Which is to ask, how can the Rams bolster their talent and production at quarterback? Last year, they did a complete makeover of the quarterback room, trading for Nick Foles and Case Keenum and drafting Sean Mannion in the third round. They even brought in Chris Weinke as the new quarterbacks coach.

That change has led to one of the least productive quarterback groups in the NFL. Keenum and Foles have offered an occasional spark but those have been far too sparse.

So that begs the question of how the Rams can change things this offseason? Well, if you're hoping the answer is going to come in the form of a pending free agent, it's probably unlikely and if it does, it won't be cheap.

ESPN NFL Insider Mike Sando offered an interesting look at some quarterbacks scheduled to be unrestricted free agents and how much they'll cost if they do manage to hit the open market.

Washington's Kirk Cousins, Denver's Brock Osweiler, the Jets' Ryan Fitzpatrick and old friend Sam Bradford are among the names that could be available. It's unlikely that any of those players will just become available on the open market but if they do, the Rams don't seem well-positioned to make a run at any of them (and let's be honest, the Bradford ship has sailed anyway).

Fitzpatrick would have been a nice fit last year and would be again but it's hard to see the Jets letting him walk given the success they've had this year. For all of the teams mentioned, letting their quarterback go would only create a bigger hole at the game's most important position. Which is why the Rams are probably going to have to get creative and bold if they want to find a more permanent quarterback fix for 2016 and beyond.