Historical: 20 All time best Ram teams in order

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
A list from another board.
How does he not have 1999 at number 1?

#1. 2001

Liked: Defense was great and offense was all time Rams good; held the 12-4 49ers to 220 yards each game. Balanced on offense more than most great offensive teams because they could spread ball around in clutch situations. Solid and top 3 defense with good corners. Warner’s best year as a pro, by far. The competition was stiff, that is why the stats werne’t as good. Faulks 7 runs in a row in the NFCC was one of the best things he ever did. Martz made that happen…too bad they didn’t ‘balance’ themselves more….too many hits on Warner (last 3 games—got injured, too because they didn’t rest started, and couldn’t run the ball..so, they threw…stupid—that shows Martz didn’t see the big picture). McVay at 31 does!

Didn’t like: Not tough enough in super bowl (see Holt on that first pass to him) and Proehl’s fumble. Were they united? Were they ready? They were the best team that day anyway—they just didin’t win.

#2. 1999: I just don’t fully enjoy watching games that don’t have some power running
Liked: Passing game, creativity, passion, and Fast D that stopped runs up the gut
Great special teams
Didn’t like: easy sched. no rushing game in playoffs

#3. 1979
Liked: Oline came together with Kent Hill—it took him a few games; he actually was pretty awful his first few—then the whole team changed when he became the man. He benched 500+, had long arms, and always, always dominated Randy White! Entire O line dominatd Tampa in NFCC. D was great when Larry Brooks and corners were healthy. Ferragamo was a great thrower down the field….hit tight spaces, but had A LOT of time with one of the best O lines ever protecting him.
Didn’t like: inconsistent all year; injuries all year, and Pat Haden. Lost focus early on.

#4. 1989
So close to 13-3 and wjnning division. 49er and Bill games probably top 5 heartbreaker games ever (non playoff). Could they have beaten 49ers without the 4 weeks in a row on the road? Vince Newsome sticks out as the heart of the team. Wanted this team to go to the super bowl I think more than any other.
Didn’t like: no front 7 sparq guys—tough but slow. Though Kevin Greene was always fun

#5. 2017

If this team wins 2 playoff games, it goes to my #2 all time favorite team; well rounded on offense and defense, and can run when others teams know they will---not dependent on draws like 1989 and 1999-2001. Maybe the most consistently good in all phases Rams team ever. They could run better than 1999, 2001 and 1989 teams, while being able to pass at a B+ level. The best O line since those 80s days by far (for my taste). Ignore the stats....Faulk couldnf run in every game like Gurley has
Didn’t like: Goff not developed yet, and he looks lost in a collapsing pocket---maybe because his arm can’t generate power 30 yards out---independent of his legs/hips. Don’t like the corners at all, other than NRC.

#6. 1986
Because of Everett there was hope late in the season. Tough, tough D. Good DBs, a little slow and undynamic at LB, but rock solid. Incredible O line, Newberry played great as did all. Think Pankey was just a shade below Pro Bowl level. Dickerson maybe had as a good a year as he did in 1984….don’t forget, diff sched, diff QBs and everything.
Didn’t like: no passing game until last 3 games; averaged 120 a game through week
13. If you took away Ellard they were dead…especially with TonyHunger87 down.
We miss you Nelson! Got shut out 6-0 in one game…..cost them division.

#7. 1980
Considering they didn’t have Tyler, it was an amazing year running and passing. Ferragmo had 30 TDs in the final 14 games; that is good by today’s standard! I think they could have gone to the super bowl with Tyler running and catching….and their D was still good enough at the Corners and D line. Watching Kent Hill become the best pass blocking and pulling guard was a 6 year joy (though 1981 he wasn’t as good)

Didn’t like Ferragamo lost some games (especially the playoff);

#8. 1985
Liked: The defense had the heart of a lion. A top 5 defense the whole year until the very end. Stopped Payton (1.9 ypc or so) in the NFCC. Dickerson got it going, but not like 1984.
Didn’t like: Not a pro offense; Brock didn’t get going until about week 10 or so…then he played pretty well….but, never had the WRs, nor a pro OC.

#9. 1978
Liked: They beat Dallas, Vikings, the Oilers and the Steelers…that is 3 title game teams!! They were the best team in the regular season, again.
Didn’t like: killed by Dallas at home NFCC; Haden could hit flairs and long balls and a pas to the TE—that was it…really not accurate.

#10. 2000
Liked: Offense was the most fun offense to watch ever. Trent Green was good, but no Warnre when it came to the red zone. Faulk and Holt had amazing years.
Didn’t like: Inconsis Defense. Kevin Carter was all world in 1999 and just something much lower after that, even with the Titans. He could take on 2 350+ pounders and stuff a double team…what DE in history could do that (Reggie W?)

#11. 1974
QB chairs.Don’t remember much other than the 17-14 win over the Vikings (Jack Snow)

#12 1976
Beat Dallas in the playoffs. Killed by special teams all year. Missed a 30 yarder in OT in week 2.

#13.1983
Robinson got that team to play hard. They could have been 11-5. A solid team. Couldnt play w Redskins

#14. 1988
Everett had an amazing year; Dominated by Vikings DBs in the playoffs.

#15. 1984
Goal line in playoffs, not pro passing
game
#16. 1975
Dallas killed em. Preston Pearson dropped that TD pass in the NFCC. Dominated Cards in the playoffs. YOungblood! McClutch 202 yards.

#17. 1977
Old Vikings shut them down, that alone makes it a sad season. Started with Namath, but never got going. Still think he would have done better than Haden. The O line was good enough, Joe just needed time.

#18. 2003
The victory against the Bears was a typical game. They went down the field to win it with Bulger making clutch throws to Holt. But, the Bears weren’t that good. Easy sched allowed them to be 12-4. I had thought the 2017 Rams were going down the same path, until the beat the Saints. The 2003 team didn’t have a a playoff D---to stop run consistently.

#19. 2015
Beat seattle twice and AZ in AZ. The most physical Rams team I ever saw….more than in 1985, I think. Not a pro offense, not motivated every game, but fun to watch them terrorize NFC west teams.

#20. 2002
They were close to making a playoff run, but their RT doomed them aginst Redskins.

#21. 1998
The O line was great. Wiegert at RT could have moved to left guard, and we would have been ok, but I think he got 5 yrs/25 mill offer for Jags. Not a consistent offense
The defense was top 10…..the foundation was set for 1999….just needed Gurley and Goff to step up, or Faulk and Warner!

#22. 1995
Loved watching Bruce get doubled and tripled every game, and still beat people. Jet D was ghost scheme. Sean Gilbert at DE, not DT? Hmmmm, I guess Dmarco Farr caused that.

#23. 1981
Loved watching the DBs play. O line didn’t play well the whole year. Tyler was an amazing RB that year…pro bowl leve.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Realistically, the 2001 team was better. They were a more complete and seasoned team but they got jobbed by the refs in the Super Bowl.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
1975....The Los Angeles Rams finally host a NFC Championship Game and Chuck Knox makes a decision that he'll always looked backed on with great disdain....After defeating the Pittsburgh Steelers on Monday Night and then setting offensive records against the St. Louis Cardinals in a divisional playoff game, Knox decides to go back to a rusty James Harris, who had been injured and not Ron Jaworski, who had engineered both victories and the team was rallying around....Harris throws a pic 6 and then another crucial interception leads to his benching, but the die had been cast and the Cowboys defeated the Los Angeles Rams 37-7 sending this nine year old to bed in tears...BTW, that was the last time I cried...Seriously been very sad for the loss of loved ones, but too old school to show emotion in public.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Where is 1973? The Rams were favored to win the Super Bowl that year, but had to go on the road to lose at Dallas, even though they had a better record...(Rams 12-2 and the Cowboys were 10-4). What an abrupt end to the season that year....

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You buncha old bastids! How in the h.ell did you learn "The Computer?":death:

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
So the author must have included only teams in his lifetime. No mention of ‘51 team etc. Not a criticism. Just the parameters he set.

Good information. He put a lot of work into it. If you include the entire season, I would think ‘99 has to be #1, as of this moment, though the ‘17 team is still fluid. This great season could fall anywhere between #5 and #1 as far as I am concerned.

If this Rams team runs the table, with the level of competition this year, it may just exceed the storied ‘99 Rams season.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Doesn't seem like a list of "all time best teams", but a list of his favorite teams, that he's watched. Otherwise the 1967, 1973 Rams would be on there, and the 1995, 1998, 2015 Rams would be off.

I like Pro Football Reference's simple rating system. Not perfect, but it factors strength of schedule, home field advantage and point differential. FWIW, PFR's list of best teams in Rams history*:

*Regular season only, which is why the 1979 Rams aren't on here

1. 1967
2. 2001

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Where is 1973? The Rams were favored to win the Super Bowl that year, but had to go on the road to lose at Dallas, even though they had a better record...(Rams 12-2 and the Cowboys were 10-4). What an abrupt end to the season that year....

They also defeated Dallas that year in October in a thriller in Los Angeles 37-31.....Back then home playoff games were rotational and I'm betting @SteveBrown was too young to remember 1973 although I was only 7, but remember that being the first year I was totally committed.

Never understand how the Rams lost that game, Hadl did not play well and David Ray missed three FG's if memory serves me correctly.

SierraRam

Recreational User
You buncha old bastids! How in the h.ell did you learn "The Computer?":death:

Speaking of old bastids: 1969 should be on the list. Like you, I remember '73, but my older brothers get enraged over what happened in '69 We started off 11-0, but ended with a heartbreaking 23-20 Conference Final loss to Minnesota. We had them 17-7 at halftime! Shit!

When we steamrolled the Vikes in '99, a lot of demons were exorcised!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They also defeated Dallas that year in October in a thriller in Los Angeles 37-31.....Back then home playoff games were rotational and I'm betting @SteveBrown was too young to remember 1973 although I was only 7, but remember that being the first year I was totally committed.

Never understand how the Rams lost that game, Hadl did not play well and David Ray missed three FG's if memory serves me correctly.
My first game at the Coliseum was the last game of that season vs the Browns, which was a win to cap off off the 12-2 season. Then the next weekend they lost, dammit!

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
My first game at the Coliseum was the last game of that season vs the Browns, which was a win to cap off off the 12-2 season. Then the next weekend they lost, dammit!

Oh yes defeated the Browns led by Quarterback Mike Phipps and Coached by Nick Skorich 30-17....I concur I believe because of that loss, Knox was never the same in post season. He became ever so conservative, playing not to lose.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh yes defeated the Browns led by Quarterback Mike Phipps and Coached by Nick Skorich 30-17....I concur I believe because of that loss, Knox was never the same in post season. He became ever so conservative, playing not to lose.
I was slower on the uptake back then, because I was almost more fascinated with the fact two brothers played on the defense (Merlin and Phil Olsen) and dripping chocolate ice cream on the back of a fan wearing a very expensive cashmere sweater in front of me. My Dad was very interested in leaving soon after that for some reason....

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
My Dad was very interested in leaving soon after that for some reason....

Traffic, my Dad was the same way back then anytime we went down to the city to watch a baseball game or football game, we would always leave early....I promised then, when ever I would take my children to a game, we would never leave early, only to be trumped by my very own offspring asking me most of the time....Can we leave early, Dad?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One last note about the Rams vs the Browns in the 70's (probably well before that), was the connection between the cities by the Rams move back in the late 40's. The teams seemed to play every year, which was boring because the Browns sucked in the 70's. Cleveland almost instantly got the Browns and won a championship soon afterwards, and then the Rams won again in 1951. Fans that knew all of this intimately still in 1973, but now it's just a historical curiosity to the rest of us that know only what the history books say...oh, and DaveFan'51...:LOL:

Last edited:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Realistically, the 2001 team was better. They were a more complete and seasoned team but they got jobbed by the refs in the Super Bowl.

And they played a lot of top defenses and vaporized them. That was a seriously dangerous team and it was the last year Maretz called balanced games.

That team in this era, as I have said many times, would have a solid shot to put up 700 points and hang a 70 burger on at least one team in a season. Pretty much every passing record would be broken by week 12 LOL.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And they played a lot of top defenses and vaporized them. That was a seriously dangerous team and it was the last year Maretz called balanced games.

That team in this era, as I have said many times, would have a solid shot to put up 700 points and hang a 70 burger on at least one team in a season. Pretty much every passing record would be broken by week 12 LOL.

i remember after they slaughtered the dolphins one of their d players commenting on the rams offense said, "i don't know what the hell that was and i never want to see it ever again".

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
A list from another board.
How does he not have 1999 at number 1?

#1. 2001

Liked: Defense was great and offense was all time Rams good; held the 12-4 49ers to 220 yards each game. Balanced on offense more than most great offensive teams because they could spread ball around in clutch situations. Solid and top 3 defense with good corners. Warner’s best year as a pro, by far. The competition was stiff, that is why the stats werne’t as good. Faulks 7 runs in a row in the NFCC was one of the best things he ever did. Martz made that happen…too bad they didn’t ‘balance’ themselves more….too many hits on Warner (last 3 games—got injured, too because they didn’t rest started, and couldn’t run the ball..so, they threw…stupid—that shows Martz didn’t see the big picture). McVay at 31 does!

Didn’t like: Not tough enough in super bowl (see Holt on that first pass to him) and Proehl’s fumble. Were they united? Were they ready? They were the best team that day anyway—they just didin’t win.

#2. 1999: I just don’t fully enjoy watching games that don’t have some power running
Liked: Passing game, creativity, passion, and Fast D that stopped runs up the gut
Great special teams
Didn’t like: easy sched. no rushing game in playoffs

#3. 1979
Liked: Oline came together with Kent Hill—it took him a few games; he actually was pretty awful his first few—then the whole team changed when he became the man. He benched 500+, had long arms, and always, always dominated Randy White! Entire O line dominatd Tampa in NFCC. D was great when Larry Brooks and corners were healthy. Ferragamo was a great thrower down the field….hit tight spaces, but had A LOT of time with one of the best O lines ever protecting him.
Didn’t like: inconsistent all year; injuries all year, and Pat Haden. Lost focus early on.

#4. 1989
So close to 13-3 and wjnning division. 49er and Bill games probably top 5 heartbreaker games ever (non playoff). Could they have beaten 49ers without the 4 weeks in a row on the road? Vince Newsome sticks out as the heart of the team. Wanted this team to go to the super bowl I think more than any other.
Didn’t like: no front 7 sparq guys—tough but slow. Though Kevin Greene was always fun

#5. 2017

If this team wins 2 playoff games, it goes to my #2 all time favorite team; well rounded on offense and defense, and can run when others teams know they will---not dependent on draws like 1989 and 1999-2001. Maybe the most consistently good in all phases Rams team ever. They could run better than 1999, 2001 and 1989 teams, while being able to pass at a B+ level. The best O line since those 80s days by far (for my taste). Ignore the stats....Faulk couldnf run in every game like Gurley has
Didn’t like: Goff not developed yet, and he looks lost in a collapsing pocket---maybe because his arm can’t generate power 30 yards out---independent of his legs/hips. Don’t like the corners at all, other than NRC.

#6. 1986
Because of Everett there was hope late in the season. Tough, tough D. Good DBs, a little slow and undynamic at LB, but rock solid. Incredible O line, Newberry played great as did all. Think Pankey was just a shade below Pro Bowl level. Dickerson maybe had as a good a year as he did in 1984….don’t forget, diff sched, diff QBs and everything.
Didn’t like: no passing game until last 3 games; averaged 120 a game through week
13. If you took away Ellard they were dead…especially with TonyHunger87 down.
We miss you Nelson! Got shut out 6-0 in one game…..cost them division.

#7. 1980
Considering they didn’t have Tyler, it was an amazing year running and passing. Ferragmo had 30 TDs in the final 14 games; that is good by today’s standard! I think they could have gone to the super bowl with Tyler running and catching….and their D was still good enough at the Corners and D line. Watching Kent Hill become the best pass blocking and pulling guard was a 6 year joy (though 1981 he wasn’t as good)

Didn’t like Ferragamo lost some games (especially the playoff);

#8. 1985
Liked: The defense had the heart of a lion. A top 5 defense the whole year until the very end. Stopped Payton (1.9 ypc or so) in the NFCC. Dickerson got it going, but not like 1984.
Didn’t like: Not a pro offense; Brock didn’t get going until about week 10 or so…then he played pretty well….but, never had the WRs, nor a pro OC.

#9. 1978
Liked: They beat Dallas, Vikings, the Oilers and the Steelers…that is 3 title game teams!! They were the best team in the regular season, again.
Didn’t like: killed by Dallas at home NFCC; Haden could hit flairs and long balls and a pas to the TE—that was it…really not accurate.

#10. 2000
Liked: Offense was the most fun offense to watch ever. Trent Green was good, but no Warnre when it came to the red zone. Faulk and Holt had amazing years.
Didn’t like: Inconsis Defense. Kevin Carter was all world in 1999 and just something much lower after that, even with the Titans. He could take on 2 350+ pounders and stuff a double team…what DE in history could do that (Reggie W?)

#11. 1974
QB chairs.Don’t remember much other than the 17-14 win over the Vikings (Jack Snow)

#12 1976
Beat Dallas in the playoffs. Killed by special teams all year. Missed a 30 yarder in OT in week 2.

#13.1983
Robinson got that team to play hard. They could have been 11-5. A solid team. Couldnt play w Redskins

#14. 1988
Everett had an amazing year; Dominated by Vikings DBs in the playoffs.

#15. 1984
Goal line in playoffs, not pro passing
game
#16. 1975
Dallas killed em. Preston Pearson dropped that TD pass in the NFCC. Dominated Cards in the playoffs. YOungblood! McClutch 202 yards.

#17. 1977
Old Vikings shut them down, that alone makes it a sad season. Started with Namath, but never got going. Still think he would have done better than Haden. The O line was good enough, Joe just needed time.

#18. 2003
The victory against the Bears was a typical game. They went down the field to win it with Bulger making clutch throws to Holt. But, the Bears weren’t that good. Easy sched allowed them to be 12-4. I had thought the 2017 Rams were going down the same path, until the beat the Saints. The 2003 team didn’t have a a playoff D---to stop run consistently.

#19. 2015
Beat seattle twice and AZ in AZ. The most physical Rams team I ever saw….more than in 1985, I think. Not a pro offense, not motivated every game, but fun to watch them terrorize NFC west teams.

#20. 2002
They were close to making a playoff run, but their RT doomed them aginst Redskins.

#21. 1998
The O line was great. Wiegert at RT could have moved to left guard, and we would have been ok, but I think he got 5 yrs/25 mill offer for Jags. Not a consistent offense
The defense was top 10…..the foundation was set for 1999….just needed Gurley and Goff to step up, or Faulk and Warner!

#22. 1995
Loved watching Bruce get doubled and tripled every game, and still beat people. Jet D was ghost scheme. Sean Gilbert at DE, not DT? Hmmmm, I guess Dmarco Farr caused that.

#23. 1981
Loved watching the DBs play. O line didn’t play well the whole year. Tyler was an amazing RB that year…pro bowl leve.
I call " BIG TIME BS!!!" 3 reasons:

1) No listing of our Championship Team of 1951!
2) No mention of our Championship Team of 1945!

rams-banner.jpg

And
* No mention of our "Fearsome-Foursome" Days!
"SIN-FULL"!! I could probably go further but I'll stop here!!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
i remember after they slaughtered the dolphins one of their d players commenting on the rams offense said, "i don't know what the hell that was and i never want to see it ever again".

I can't remember the game but a defender from one opponent said essentially "I haven't seen a single play from the film we watched".

And the retort Az game to a Bengals (IIRC) CB who asked "how many plays do you guys have" and he shot back "a lot". Ha that was funny shit!

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Some great years in there! We will have to wait to see where 2017 fits in ;)