Hindsight, why Goff was picked over Wentz

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Allow me to begin by saying I preferred Wentz. Review my posts pre-draft and you will find I believed he was smarter, bigger, and stronger. I thought he was Big Ben II. Those were my reasons for preferring him.

But now I see why Goff was the pick. While Wentz was accustomed to a team with superior talent and coaching to the competition, who knew how he would handle the adversity of playing on a team that was undermanned? How would Wentz deal with multiple losses, an inferior OLine and developing receivers? Goff dealt with those issues and found a way to persevere through them at Cal. Wentz may have been more ready to command an NFL offense but Fisher believed that slow and steady wins the race. Jeff had an extension on the table so he wasn't interested in quick fixes. Snisher believed Goff was better equipped to be Matty Ice who was a more precise passer when the team came together. Fisher believed this team would continue to develop into a powerhouse and Keemun was good enough to manage the team until Goff was ready. Goff showed better red zone efficiency in college when the windows are tighter and the pressure more intense. This caused Snisher to believe Jared had more upside. Goff had better footwork in the pocket when he had to buy time to throw (Wentz was more likely to break and run), and Goff showed the best anticipation when he KNEW what to expect from the defense.

In short, Wentz may very well be the superior QB but Goff was a better fit for THIS team as built by Fisher's formula. To make some NFL comps, Goff (in FISHER'S mind) was capable of becoming Tom Brady while Wentz was more Brett Favre and we all know which one the conservative, play it close to the vest method a conservative coach would chose. Goff will acquiesce to a system while Wentz would be more likely to improvise.

Now my post has become a coaching philosophy lesson. Goff was the talented and developing game manager while Wentz would prefer to trash a play call for the sake of trusting his own abilitiy to make something happen. Older coaches tend to ply their trade with patience. Younger coaches seek to find a way to establish something new in order to find success, thus gaining both recognition and security.

I wonder which of you see this differently.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I was a wentz man mainly because In my mind he was a better fit for fisher's offense.

But when it became more likely they would go with Goff I watched more film on him and his pocket awareness won me over. We've seen plenty of it in his five NFL starts. I love that he doesn't bail and steps up in the pocket if he can, that's what a NFL Qb looks like.

I'm betting a lot of coaches will be lining up for the chance to coach up this guy.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I too had a liking for wentz but watching Goff this year convinced me me he IS our future at QB ..... the kid has guts coming out the wazoo the touchdown run against ATL ... that run and hit against the hawks (kid was even out there throwing a block )

We get him some bona fide weapons in the passing game ... and a line that can actually block every now and then he will be the QB standard (in the mould of Brady manning etc)

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
Goff has some great feet and when he has time throws some darts. I think we have a good QB for the future just need some pieces to help him out

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
That crossing route to Britt when he had Sherman underneath and a safety over the top is the reason I have high hopes for this kid and this team. Give the kid a clean(ish) pocket and he will be dealing. That throw was amazing.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That crossing route to Britt when he had Sherman underneath and a safety over the top is the reason I have high hopes for this kid and this team. Give the kid a clean(ish) pocket and he will be dealing. That throw was amazing.
Surprisingly, Britt actually caught it...
When they showed a replay of that throw, there was literally no window and Goff threaded it
Beautiful

Ellard80

Legend
Goff has the arm... now he just needs some kind of resemblance of protection and we can get an idea what he can do.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm still iffy on Goff he seems more like a splash guy RIGHT now. He makes some tough throws but misses layups his accuracy is still scattershot even when he have time, with all that said I'm warming up to the guy and hopefully with new coaching staff and better o-line play he can really reach his potential

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I wanted the Red Machine Wentz over the skinny school boy framed Goff too....but from what I have seen I feel that the Rams Organization whomever made the decision made the far better choice. I am very happy :yess: with what I have seen from this very young Jared Goff. I am sure that next season we will see a much more physically developed Goff & is sure to prove that he was the best pocket QB in the 2016 draft. No Regrets.

Now I still would not have traded away all those draft selections for the #1 overall :mad:(n)but that's just the way I think.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Once I compared the two I wanted Goff. I think his tools translate more to the prototypical long lasting upper echelon/elite skillset for QB's.

Him and Britt are starting to get some chemistry, Britt knows that Goff can squeeze it into those suser small windows and he needs to be ready to pluck it out of the air real fast. If we can get a true #1it'll be huge.

The rest of the receivers are getting there, some passes like the missfire to Quick is more on Goff, others like the deep ball to Thomas are on the receiver.

Thomas needs to develop past his drops, if he catches that, it's a different game in my opinion.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
The rest of the receivers are getting there, some passes like the missfire to Quick is more on Goff, others like the deep ball to Thomas are on the receiver.

Thomas needs to develop past his drops, if he catches that, it's a different game in my opinion.
I agree/disagree on the Quick throw. Brian GUMP Quick needs to sit when he's open and scrambling. I blame Gump's low FB IQ on that one.

Goff on the other hand needs to put more touch and not fire it in when his WR is that wide open.

The tackles were garbage last night and Goff was getting pressure from a garbage 4 man D front. If Bones has any wish to coach in this league, he needs to be screaming and disciplining Have and Grob. They may cry since they've been coddled by Fish like Pinchy the Lobster, but they'll need to get used to that with their next coach.

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
Goff is the real deal. He wanted to score the TD, but did not look up the field to see that Sherman wanted to welcome him to the NFL.

That's a rookie mistake and a great lesson for Goff to learn.

With the remaining games on schedule, Goff will get a lot of reps and learning experience.

Next year when the game slows down for him and for the Rams to get some new OL (Center, LG and RG) plus receivers who know how to play football, Goff is going to tear up the league.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
For some reason I always go back to this as a comparison. Peyton Manning threw 28 INT's his rookie year for a TERRIBLE team. But as they built around him and he got better...well, the rest is history.
Am I saying we have the next Manning? No idea but the talent is there. He just needs the rest of the offense to be built around him. I mean could our OL be any worse? Even when Goff puts a great 40 yard ball right into Thomas's wide open hands he drops it.
So, get the OL right, add some real,dynamic WR's that catch consistently and this offense (well with a real OC) can be very good. Plus, when all that falls into play Gurley will have running lanes and be the stud we saw last year.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I also wanted Wentz but Goff looks like he will be fine if the Oline decides to block . I told my son last night that a couple of Goff's passes were hard to see in real time . He has some zip on his passes . I still don't know how he missed Quick in the endzone though. Different game if he hits that pass for 7 , or if the refs weren't so lousy .

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Question! How many QB's, in their 1st year, can you name that Looked Really Bad their 1st year, and then became elite!?! I'll start:
* Brett Favre - He was Laughable his 1st year or so!!
* Troy Aikeman - It would take longer to count his Losses than his Wins his 1st year!
How many can you come up with!!?!

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
I, like many members, preferred Wentz myself bc I thought he would be the perfect fit with Fish here. But after watching film of Goff and seeing him play, I'm glad we made him the selection. His on the field play shows glimpses of star potential, and his off the field ethic & demeanor certainly convince me we are in for a treat with this kid. Between his arm, footwork, and quick decisions in-game and his confidence and swagger in interviews, I'm glad we took Goff! He is the REAL DEAL.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For some reason I always go back to this as a comparison. Peyton Manning threw 28 INT's his rookie year for a TERRIBLE team
I prefer the Eli Manning comparison.
Fans wanted Manning, coach went with the veteran QB until the team was basically out of playoff consideration. Manning came in, didn't play well, the team looked in total disarray. Then next season, they went 11-5 and made the playoffs!

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
I prefer the Eli Manning comparison.
Fans wanted Manning, coach went with the veteran QB until the team was basically out of playoff consideration. Manning came in, didn't play well, the team looked in total disarray. Then next season, they went 11-5 and made the playoffs!
The Giants were 5-4 when they made the switch. It was political. They still had a chance to make the playoffs.

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler
If we dont fix the o-line its not gonna matter whos playing QB for the Rams. Theres not a QB in the league that could do well behind this line.