Higher taxes will impact Rams employees in LA/SI.com

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
This whole article just smelled to me of spilt milk. And after the nearly two yrs of the "LA vs. St. Louis" drama going on everywhere .... I am just tired of it.

Ram65

Legend
I find the tax cost interesting. For the 1% ers they hire expert tax accounts (CPA'S) that can save lot's on taxes. It's out of my pay grade and knowledge base. I'm not overly concerned that some players will pay more than others depending on where they play. Here are a couple of links about residency and bonuses from a CPA blog. Even reading these it is complicated at the state(s) level. It would be interesting to see a real life type example of real cost including real estate appreciation and endorsements. Do we have a CPA amongst us?

http://www.hodgsonruss.com/media/publication/129_12_2010 The Multistate Tax Quandary For Professional Athletes.pdf

http://www.hodgsonruss.com/media/publication/434_How States Handle Signing Bonuses for Athletes.pdf

RamFanWA

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
DavidG
I'm no CPA or anything close... I hire that our also. I live in one state (Washington) with no income tax and work in another (Oregon) that levies a 10% tax (must be for all the infrastructure I don't use...). I only pay OR taxes for the days I actually work in Oregon. The taxes are pro-rated. If WA had a 5% tax, then I would owe Oregon the larger amount, less what I paid to my own state. I think the same is true for these out of state athletes...Pretty sure Seahawk players owe taxes on 1/16 of their pay when they play a game in Oakland, LA, San Jose or San Diego... whereas Dallas, Miami... not so much, eh? I can see the advantage to getting more of the pay in bonus money, if I was a Seahawk. Other locations will be in between these extremes... However, if you LIVE IN California, there is no escaping it whether on the road or not - unless some other state has a higher tax, then you may owe a bit more somewhere else...

That's how I see it. And really, even less of a big deal for someone with a roomful of accountants...