HGH Testing-Congress could get involved

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
According to this article, HGH testing talks have stalled between the NFL and the Union and Congress could intercede to force it's hand (I guess the way it did for steroid testing in baseball)

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...ed-on-hgh-testing-congress-could-get-involved

How much power should NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell have when it comes to doling out player punishments? The answer to that question seems to be one of the only things standing in the way of the NFL and and the NFL Player's Association agreeing to future HGH testing.

And if the league and the union don't get things squared away soon, Congress could get involved.

In a statement to the Associated Press, Rep. Elijah Cummings of Maryland took the union to task for not implementing HGH testing, "Continuing to block HGH testing in this way essentially will force Congress to intervene, which nobody wants."

The stalemate here revolves around how much power Goodell should have.

The NFL wants to keep things similar to how they are now: Goodell would hear all appeals involving player arrests, grand jury testimony and instances where there is demonstrated use of HGH or PED's.

The union doesn't want Goodell's iron fist making a ruling on all those issues. The union would prefer a panel of arbitrators handle it. The two sides have already agreed that instead of Goodell, an arbitration panel would dole out the punishment for any positive HGH or PED tests.

Under the union's current proposal, a non-HGH or PED suspension similar to Ben Roethlisberger's in 2010 would be handled by an arbitration panel, rather than Goodell. As would all player arrests.

NFL senior vice president Adolpho Birch seems perplexed that the union won't agree to the NFL's demands because they agreed to them in August 2011 when the new collective bargaining agreement was signed.

"NFL players two years ago overwhelmingly agreed to HGH testing and to continuing the Commissioner's longstanding disciplinary authority in cases where a player is found to have violated the law by a judge or jury," Birch said in a statement.

The statement continued, "The union's latest demand has nothing to do with appeals from positive drug tests, nothing to do with ensuring a level playing field and nothing to do with keeping players safe from dangerous substances. It is simply a case of buyer's remorse, and an effort to renegotiate part of a long-term agreement that they have now decided they don't like."

The NFLPA's George Atallah says the players don't want Roger Goodell handing out player punishments. NFLPA assistant executive director George Atallah said that players have voted twice on whether or not to let Goodell keep his authority and in both votes, the players said no.

"I don't expect the players' position to change on that," Atallah told the AP. "None of this stuff can move forward, none of the policy can change, without a vote. That's how our constitution works. [NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith] can't unilaterally agree to anything without taking it to a vote."

Atallah also pointed out that the union had already agreed to a preseason population study involving HGH testing, a study that the NFL supported but hasn't signed off on yet.

"The only case of buyer's remorse is the attached letter that the NFL agreed to weeks ago," Atallah wrote on the NFLPA website. "Our signature is on it. Sign it, like you agreed to, and we start drawing blood from players immediately. Your refusal to sign it confirms that the only thing you care about is power."

The population study would involve the league collecting specimens from players during the preseason. However, players wouldn't be punished. The preseason specimens would be used to decide the threshold for a positive HGH test. Regular testing would then begin as early as Week 1.

As for Goodell giving up his power, that's not likely to happen, according to Birch.

"From the league's perspective, we're talking about an authority and responsibility that the commissioner has had for more than 50 years," Birch said, via NFL.com. "It's at the core of the commissioner's responsibility -- he's the one protecting the integrity of the game, and he determines what impact those things have on the long-term best interests of football. That's why the commissioner is not willing to cede to someone that's not similarly invested in the good of the game."

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
What I want to know is when congress is going to take a drug test... and not for steroids either.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
They need congress to take polygraph tests! Got a list of questions all lined up!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
if you went out and found the biggest set of eyes in the entire world and rolled them, it would not adequately describe my feelings on this

sent via Tapatalk.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
X said:
if you went out and found the biggest set of eyes in the entire world and rolled them, it would not adequately describe my feelings on this

sent via Tapatalk.
AYUP, politics is truly "theater for the ugly" and FWIW I'm glad my kids wouldn't look like theirs :lmao: mine are much better looking :ww:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Goodall and Congress can both collectively suck my ........................

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
brokeu91 said:
In a statement to the Associated Press, Rep. Elijah Cummings of Maryland took the union to task for not implementing HGH testing, "Continuing to block HGH testing in this way essentially will force Congress to intervene, which nobody wants."
How dare the peon players, and their union, object to such an invasion of their privacy. Didn't you know you have no rights in Commadant Goodell's League, and must submit to ever test we want. Of course, if you don't comply willingly we'll get our Communist brothers in arms to force your hand, you know, the 600-hundred or so drunken, drugged-out, criminals on Capitol Hill.

As fans and Americans, we should slamn them just for trying to frame this issue as they have. I remember a day when individuals trying to block corporate or government excesses was an honor. Today if you do it you're besmirched by the corporate media machine and their minions of nonprofit groups who try to tell everyone what to do and how to behave. The arrogance and punkiness is out of control.

This one is worth writing your Congressman over. Because it's not a big step before all of this testing is in every workplace, and it is you and your children who are bending over.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
X said:

sent via Tapatalk.

martyfeldman.jpg

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Stranger said:
brokeu91 said:
How dare the peon players, and their union, object to such an invasion of their privacy. Didn't you know you have no rights in Commadant Goodell's League, and must submit to ever test we want. Of course, if you don't comply willingly we'll get our Communist brothers in arms to force your hand, you know, the 600-hundred or so drunken, drugged-out, criminals on Capitol Hill.

As fans and Americans, we should slamn them just for trying to frame this issue as they have. I remember a day when individuals trying to block corporate or government excesses was an honor. Today if you do it you're besmirched by the corporate media machine and their minions of nonprofit groups who try to tell everyone what to do and how to behave. The arrogance and punkiness is out of control.

This one is worth writing your Congressman over. Because it's not a big step before all of this testing is in every workplace, and it is you and your children who are bending over.

It isn't a violation of their privacy in any way shape or form. Illegally obtaining and using HGH is a felony which can carry up to five years in jail for one thing and for another thing it's against the rules that the NFL and the union agreed to together. What they are tussling over is HOW to test for HGH and how players should be penalized. From my understanding HGH is not detectable shortly after it is injected though I had heard there is another test that can be used that can detect it later than that.

Personally these guys are idiots for taking it in the amounts they are, it's every bit as dangerous long term as the other stuff. Just because our bodies make it naturally doesn't make it safe to over load on. There are serious effects that many of these guys are going to suffer from and they are going to regret their decisions eventually.

Our government should not in any way be involved in it, but the league needs to test for it. This crap is outta control in sports and it'll never change until they punish the F out of the guys cheating.

fearsomefour

Legend
LesBaker said:
Our government should not in any way be involved in it, but the league needs to test for it. This crap is outta control in sports and it'll never change until they punish the F out of the guys cheating.

Couple of issues with that last sentence. Punishing the F out the guys using it and there by forcing it out of the game will be bad for the brand (the NFL will never admit this, but, Im sure they believe it). Trianing techniques and legal supplementation have evolved greatly in the last couple of decades, but, do you think the NFL really wants to go back to 265lb o lineman and 170 lb LBs as the norm? Hell no. Part of the marketing of the league is these guys are supermen. The public appeal is undeniable. This is why someone like Brock Lesnar was a huge draw in a sport in which had no real skill level, most of the general public always believes bigger is better (insert joke here).
So, I expect the NFL and players Union to reach a wink and nod kind of deal. Im sure the NFL doesnt want it in the game but the reality is they dont fully want it out of the game either.
Personally, I could care less. The regulations around these things are determined by special interest/marketing groups as much as any concern for public safety.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
X said:

sent via Tapatalk.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Think I'm going back and giving this my very first LIKE.

bluecoconuts

Legend
What a waste of time. Congress needs to focus on important things not fucking football.

Then again the NFL and the NFLPA need to get their shit together and fix the issue. It's obviously a problem. Piss test these guys the day after every game for all I care, just fix it.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
LesBaker said:
Stranger said:
brokeu91 said:

It isn't a violation of their privacy in any way shape or form. Illegally obtaining and using HGH is a felony which can carry up to five years in jail for one thing and for another thing it's against the rules that the NFL and the union agreed to together. What they are tussling over is HOW to test for HGH and how players should be penalized. From my understanding HGH is not detectable shortly after it is injected though I had heard there is another test that can be used that can detect it later than that.

Personally these guys are idiots for taking it in the amounts they are, it's every bit as dangerous long term as the other stuff. Just because our bodies make it naturally doesn't make it safe to over load on. There are serious effects that many of these guys are going to suffer from and they are going to regret their decisions eventually.

I'm not sure I can think of anything more invasive then employers having the power to force employees to submit to medical tests, especially with the government's backing. Of course this is an invasion of personal privacy.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
bluecoconuts said:
What a waste of time. Congress needs to focus on important things not fucking football.

Then again the NFL and the NFLPA need to get their shit together and fix the issue. It's obviously a problem. Piss test these guys the day after every game for all I care, just fix it.
A freaking men! This is a perfect example of why our government fails.... its worried about the NFL and the Union. Congress get your shit together you corrupt pieces of shit!

bluecoconuts

Legend
Stranger said:
LesBaker said:
Stranger said:
brokeu91 said:

I'm not sure I can think of anything more invasive then employers having the power to force employees to submit to medical tests, especially with the government's backing. Of course this is an invasion of personal privacy.

Any company can do a drug test, and anyone can refuse to take one. However that gives the company the right to dismiss said employee. The players can refuse to take a test but the NFL can then ban them from the league.

Army used to piss test us once a month, it was annoying sure but Its their right to do so.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
fearsomefour said:
LesBaker said:

Couple of issues with that last sentence. Punishing the F out the guys using it and there by forcing it out of the game will be bad for the brand (the NFL will never admit this, but, Im sure they believe it). Trianing techniques and legal supplementation have evolved greatly in the last couple of decades, but, do you think the NFL really wants to go back to 265lb o lineman and 170 lb LBs as the norm? Hell no. Part of the marketing of the league is these guys are supermen. The public appeal is undeniable. This is why someone like Brock Lesnar was a huge draw in a sport in which had no real skill level, most of the general public always believes bigger is better (insert joke here).
So, I expect the NFL and players Union to reach a wink and nod kind of deal. Im sure the NFL doesnt want it in the game but the reality is they dont fully want it out of the game either.
Personally, I could care less. The regulations around these things are determined by special interest/marketing groups as much as any concern for public safety.

An awful lot of players are itching to get the cheaters out of the sports world in every sport. This recent crap with Lance Armstrong and Biogenesis seems to have been the last straw so to speak. It'll help "the brand" to eliminate cheaters not hurt it.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I have a different take on HGH.

I think the players should be allowed to use it under the supervision of a doctor. It helps these players heal better and faster from what I understand. They are face rough injuries in this, injuries that most people would never expose themselves to purposely. Medically speaking, I think these players should be able to take advantage of HGH. If controlled by doctors, the players would be much better off. The benefits of it are real, and I think a player should be able to use science to help his beat up body. Their careers only last a short time.

As it stands now,,, players are going to use it without proper medical advice and control. I have no doubt that a large percentage of NFL players are using it now in secret... not knowing how to use it properly.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
bluecoconuts said:
Any company can do a drug test, and anyone can refuse to take one. However that gives the company the right to dismiss said employee. The players can refuse to take a test but the NFL can then ban them from the league.
Please explain to me why this is. I mean, why does the company or the NFL possess this power to terminate an individual if they do not comply with this privacy invasion?

Where does this power come from? And why is the situation not reversed - for example, why is company or NFL not liable when they try to force individuals to submit themselves to privacy invasions?

I think we all know the answer to these questions. So, if we're going to comply, the least we could do is at least not do it so willingly and submissively. It's damn embarrassing.

bluecoconuts said:
Army used to piss test us once a month, it was annoying sure but Its their right to do so.
The Army is a US government entity, at least it used to be. So, where does the government get the power to force individuals to comply with this kind of requirement?

We've become so conditioned to all of these intrusions that we've lost sight of just how egregious they are, and that the institutions, claiming that they have the power to force the peon-public to comply, actually have no power to do so. We just acquiesce.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
rhinobean said:
They need congress to take polygraph tests! Got a list of questions all lined up!
LoL, they can all take an IQ test while they're at it, that of course comes after the polygraph test :)

Oh my ... would that be fun.