Here’s my list of Rams offseason needs and their probable solution source...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I’m even trying to list them in order of priority, more or less.

Center- gotta be FA, don’t you think? At least a 1 year placeholder while they draft a C (hopefully Meinerz). Myself, I’d shoot for the stars with Linsley with a creative 5 year contract. Center problem totally solved for 5 wonderful years (like Whitworth solved our LOT problem for 5 wonderful, although expensive, years).

Edge- At least one Edge must be a FA vet, don’t you think? The next hungry guy in the Fowler/Floyd series that wants to enhance his resume while playing with AD. Extending Floyd might be a baseless rumor, so I’m certainly not counting on that, but there are many others that could come in and really help.

Edge- Yes, a 2nd Edge is needed since our current bench cannot be counted upon, really. This one should be a pick, though. An early one, at that.

LOT- A draft pick only. As early as our 57 if one falls there. If not, then when he meets the BPA criteria. LOT could become a screaming need as early as next year, sooooo...

Those are my biggest ‘needs’ currently and receive the very highest priorities.

But wait, there are more needs. Lol. Just not quite as high of a priority, IMO.

ILB. Yeah, Rams can make do with Howard and one other, but wouldn’t it be nice if an affordable FA fell into our lap, or later in the draft? I’m guessing that the Rams and particularly Morris are on the lookout for an affordable gem to pair with Howard inside. Call it a hunch. Not exactly a ‘need’, but kinda.

‘Vertical WR’. Many others think this is a higher priority than I do. I’m of the opinion that we are at least 3 deep with quality WR’s that can get open and Stafford will find and hit them just fine. But it sounds like Snead is interested in adding a vertical WR, so what do I know? If he does, I sure hope it’s a pick rather than an expensive FA.

TE just might be a bit of a need, depending on how Rams really feel about Hopkins’ future. I mean, Hopkins didn’t exactly blow the doors off, did he? And Everett is surely a goner.

CB is not a real need at present, but could be by next year. So Snead is almost certain to use a later pick on someone they like for their 17th consecutive secondary gem. Lol.

Beyond the above, I see Snead building for depth now and simultaneously for future needs, just as he’s been doing for several years. BPA for future needs has been a very successful formula, indeed.

To recap. I consider a C and Edge as ‘must haves’. A 2nd Edge is borderline must have, IMO. All others are relatively strong wants of varying degrees. If Rams can bring home a strong C and one Edge I will consider this a very good start to a possibly strong offseason.

Your thoughts?

Rams4life

Rookie
Name
Bud
Very nice write up. I agree with everything except howard. The Rams have been gashed on defense in the run game. They need some stout run stuffers at ilb. As always just my opinion

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would place CB above your 2nd listed ER.

Former DC had this Ram defense playing its best when he was able to utilize Ramsey in the "Star" role. Staley used five DB's usually 3 corners. Two of those corners are not under contract here any longer.

Who is our 2nd signed under contract corner? Who is our 3rd signed under contract corner?

Answers:
Current 2nd signed corner is David Long. Played 116 snaps I can not recall any of his snaps having good results. David Long has been a complete bust thus far. From his play in 2020, he should be in the WWC, not in contention for a starting role on a Ram team desiring to play in the SB @ home.

The current 3rd signed corner is Donte Deayon, who is 5-9 @ 159 lbs did not see one snap on defense last season.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
TE just might be a bit of a need, depending on how Rams really feel about Hopkins’ future. I mean, Hopkins didn’t exactly blow the doors off, did he? And Everett is surely a goner.
Mundt may be gone as well, he hasnt been tendered as of yet.
I cant believe there's much to expect from Hopkins since he didnt get any opps last season, which is totally unlike how McVay treats his rooks.
For a team that had entertained signing FA TE in the past, even though they had several on the roster, it is puzzling to me that this isnt a higher need. We'll see of course

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I’m even trying to list them in order of priority, more or less.

Center- gotta be FA, don’t you think? At least a 1 year placeholder while they draft a C (hopefully Meinerz). Myself, I’d shoot for the stars with Linsley with a creative 5 year contract. Center problem totally solved for 5 wonderful years (like Whitworth solved our LOT problem for 5 wonderful, although expensive, years).

Edge- At least one Edge must be a FA vet, don’t you think? The next hungry guy in the Fowler/Floyd series that wants to enhance his resume while playing with AD. Extending Floyd might be a baseless rumor, so I’m certainly not counting on that, but there are many others that could come in and really help.

Edge- Yes, a 2nd Edge is needed since our current bench cannot be counted upon, really. This one should be a pick, though. An early one, at that.

LOT- A draft pick only. As early as our 57 if one falls there. If not, then when he meets the BPA criteria. LOT could become a screaming need as early as next year, sooooo...

Those are my biggest ‘needs’ currently and receive the very highest priorities.

But wait, there are more needs. Lol. Just not quite as high of a priority, IMO.

ILB. Yeah, Rams can make do with Howard and one other, but wouldn’t it be nice if an affordable FA fell into our lap, or later in the draft? I’m guessing that the Rams and particularly Morris are on the lookout for an affordable gem to pair with Howard inside. Call it a hunch. Not exactly a ‘need’, but kinda.

‘Vertical WR’. Many others think this is a higher priority than I do. I’m of the opinion that we are at least 3 deep with quality WR’s that can get open and Stafford will find and hit them just fine. But it sounds like Snead is interested in adding a vertical WR, so what do I know? If he does, I sure hope it’s a pick rather than an expensive FA.

CB is not a real need at present, but could be by next year. So Snead is almost certain to use a later pick on someone they like for their 17th consecutive secondary gem. Lol.

Beyond the above, I see Snead building for depth now and simultaneously for future needs, just as he’s been doing for several years. BPA for future needs has been a very successful formula, indeed.

To recap. I consider a C and Edge as ‘must haves’. A 2nd Edge is borderline must have, IMO. All others are relatively strong wants of varying degrees. If Rams can bring home a strong C and one Edge I will consider this a very good start to a possibly strong offseason.

Your thoughts?

A thorough list. Can't quarrel with it except maybe to put edge first and to comment that deep receiver and and cb are serious needs in my estimation. The problem is I don't see the Rams filling more than 2-3 of these positions with free agents due to lack of resources.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If it's me I re-sign Floyd AND draft OLB at 52. I want a relentless pass rush the kind that OCs stay up three nights in a row before a playoff game trying to solve. OLB has the potential to elevate an already loaded defense. The draft options have high end possibilities with some question marks (Perkins for example) all the way to high floor possibilities who play quickly but maybe don't have the high end ceiling (Weaver by example).

Honestly my favorite edge in this entire draft is Rashad Weaver. He's my guy in this class. But there's a ton of options. So many that maybe it makes sense to wait on OLB until round 3 and take LT there at round 2. Could also see them taking a wideout, really it's gonna come down to what is on the board of course.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
About the Rams CB need.

Here’s my reasoning.

Williams is a slam dunk to be our ‘21 starter. And if he plays nearly as well this year as he did last year then he will likely be extended (or tagged, dammit!).

Meanwhile I’m seeing Burgess as our starting nickel, probably for the next 3 years.

If I’m right about DW and Burgess then our need at CB is reduced to 4th CB for depth/development at most.

Lastly, Snead has been a savant at finding late secondary gems for years, so I’m gonna trust him on this.

I do agree that Long has not nearly evolved as hoped.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

The Rams will need to do something at TE.

Everett leaves in FA... if Higbee were to miss time. Yikes!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The Rams will need to do something at TE.

Everett leaves in FA... if Higbee were to miss time. Yikes!

Higbee already played hurt last season.Hopkins needs to be the next guy up.Mundt rumored to have resigned.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think these can be put into three groups:

Starter needed this year
Replacement for next year
Depth for injury

This year: Center, WR (not a starter but need some speed), ILB

Next year: OL x 2 (3 if we sign a Center for one year this year), CB

Depth needed: EDGE

Something to keep in mind for depth: guys that they've kept around, they have a plan for. They drafted Hopkins to replace Everett - I really doubt we spend a pick on a TE. The fact that he didn't play doesn't mean anything - we had Higbee and Everett, and TE is a tough position for a rookie.

Deayton and Hughes have potential IMO. They round out the bottom of the secondary depth chart, and it looks good - biggest help for the Rams will be if Long can step up and be the NCB.

I bet the draft will go WR/OL/ILB on day 2

EDGE/OL/WR

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I would place CB above your 2nd listed ER.

Former DC had this Ram defense playing its best when he was able to utilize Ramsey in the "Star" role. Staley used five DB's usually 3 corners. Two of those corners are not under contract here any longer.

Who is our 2nd signed under contract corner? Who is our 3rd signed under contract corner?

Answers:
Current 2nd signed corner is David Long. Played 116 snaps I can not recall any of his snaps having good results. David Long has been a complete bust thus far. From his play in 2020, he should be in the WWC, not in contention for a starting role on a Ram team desiring to play in the SB @ home.

The current 3rd signed corner is Donte Deayon, who is 5-9 @ 159 lbs did not see one snap on defense last season.

Bonifay’d— your usually the one talking about this guy & that guy
being the next Ram starter or at least role player.
I’m from the left-coast. Over here college football always seemed not to count.What I do know is Covid as much as you didn’t think it was much of a thing at one point hit College ball.

Last season Imo players that were on extended NFL roster got a break because of it. The results aren’t out.No one I talking about it,but I’ll say Georgia Football has been a thing.Floyd,Gurley,Stafford& Tree didn’t do to bad. Point being The Rams have 2 young DB’s from Georgia & Juju who came out early from Fresno from the LC here.
Just saying & quit sleeping on David Long.Don’t forget about The Rams first pick in 2019 draft either.Dude is a tackling machine & will be top 2 on The Rams roster.Oh & I believe you like this kid from Utah? He got hurt,(ugly-got rolled up on) but
Burgees can a Swiss-knife type. Fuller is slow,but dude is still young & smart.
Did OH did I forget about who Inthinj will be The Rams starting safes going into his 3rd season with The Rams.A bones special.Reminds me of a Cory Littleton because he works so hard on special teams as well.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Bonifay’d- forgot to say that sorry if I messed up the post because of needs. I’ll always say add value to The defensive backfield.
I also look at Les Snead & The Rams scouting team. Don’t forget why Brad Holmes is gone. He &squad left those DB’s on The Rams roster.
— Point - even though Floyd surprised you by resigning with The Rams & you were like no way. I still like OLB/DE. That dude from Bama who you think gets hurt & didn’t play well his rookie season should be Bigger,Stronger,Healthier,& Smarter in 2020. Still young $ has an excellent skill set. IMO a 1st rd type of talent that takes longer to develop. OBO is in his contract year.Bukham is even further on the LC.Fox is gone,
Will see. I think The Rams first pick is either a OLB/DE or WR.The good thing is there should be a difference maker at least one of those spots come time for The Rams to pick.
—Yes TE could have real good value there as well,further back also.