Here's how all the QB movement will shake out this offseason

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I think the smart and safe play is to spend a little on a QB with solid NFL starting experience. They don't have to be anything special, just someone you can start for a while if Goff gets hurt and still win games with the running game and defense. I think a sneaky candidate could be someone like Tannehill. He's not going to be in high demand and would cost a lot less than the top QBs on the market.

The more forward thinking approach would be to spend a draft pick on a developmental QB with an eye towards trading them down the line. It's a bit more risky if Goff gets hurt, but I'm guessing McVay has a pretty good eye for college prospects.
This was my thinking as well. Tannehill will not get many offers and hes a clear improvement over Mannion.

Petrowsky

Rookie
Name
Petrowsky
This was my thinking as well. Tannehill will not get many offers and hes a clear improvement over Mannion.
Tannehill would be great but I think he’ll get a decent contract from someone. I could see Washington signing him, or I could see him getting a decent back up contract from someone.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Trade our first for Wentz

have him sit behind Goff , just in case

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've read a lot of articles that make Tannehill sound like a jerk.

If true, pass. We don't need that drama.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
That disgusting list shows just how difficult it is to find an NFL QB. Some of the QBs on that list aren't even NFL QBs.

Knowing how difficult it truly is... I'd draft a QB every single year. Obviously not with a high draft pick every year... but I would make sure to draft at least 1 QB each year as a general rule.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Well, I’ll have to trust McVay on this Mannion decision. Obviously.

But we have seen McVay let former starters go in order to upgrade other positions. Often multiple players at the same time, and usually it has worked out very well. OL, WR, CB, LB, and safety come to mind. McVay is definitely decisive in such matters.

So, why would one think that Mannion is a sacred cow?

Myself, I find the idea of acquiring Fitzpatrick very intriguing. He certainly can run the McVay system and can win some games for the Rams if Goff is out.

Don’t know if he’s at all affordable, but if he is then that would be a huge insurance policy at QB for years to come. Super smart, experienced under fire, good teammate...

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
We need to draft a qb to groom on the cheap as that may be the best way to win if goff wants to break the bank

Or get a vet like Hoyer with the Pats. It sounds like he was instrumental in helping the Cheatriots defeat McVays offense.

IBruce80

Tokyo Ram
Mannion has had very little opportunity in his tenure with the Rams. When he has - I have seen hints of a strong arm but clear evidence that he is not prepared to run an offense. His execution is never sharp and his leadership seems lacking.

That is pretty much all i can think about him as sell.
Just haven't seen much of him.
I think the lack of leadership is quite telling.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If we could get him cheap, I'd actually like us to get Blake Bortles. He won't cost us a comp pick because the Jaguars are going to cut him. He's shown the ability to be a competent starter when the circumstances are right. When the circumstances are wrong, he can turn into a disaster. But this is a backup QB we're talking about here. With the talent and coaching we have, I think Bortles could do enough to keep us competitive if disaster ever struck. With how much of a disaster Jacksonville was this year and how much Bortles struggled, I think we could get him for a bargain.

EDIT: As for Tannehill, he's going to get a low-end starter contract somewhere (which prices him way out of our range). He's been just competent enough throughout his career.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the Rams need a decent vet backup - but they also need to start developing a QB3 who can be the main backup in 2020. It's just too important to have an affordable guy you can actually have faith in to fill in at QB. I'd hate using a third - but I think that it is necessary to solve the problem going forward. I have faith in McVay developing the right guy. I have zero faith in Mannion.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Bring Perez back. He's had a little more seasoning at this point and is off to a great start in the AAF.

Petrowsky

Rookie
Name
Petrowsky
I think the Rams need a decent vet backup - but they also need to start developing a QB3 who can be the main backup in 2020. It's just too important to have an affordable guy you can actually have faith in to fill in at QB. I'd hate using a third - but I think that it is necessary to solve the problem going forward. I have faith in McVay developing the right guy. I have zero faith in Mannion.
I think this is a good idea if implemented correctly. The Rams need to sign a veteran backup QB (Tyrod Taylor, Bortles, or Fitzpatrick types). I don’t think the Rams should force the drafting of a developmental QB. Sign the veteran backup to a 2 or 3 year deal, and then wait until the right guy is able to be drafted. I think a veteran backup QB capable of keeping the Rams competitive if Goff got hurt is a higher priority though.