Here's an off the wall question about Cook and Kendricks...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
I'd play Harkey straight up for Cook for an entire half to prove a point.
Put him in for the whole game over Cook. His blocking is far superior and we want to run the ball. Cook's benefit as a receiver do not make up for his poor blocking. Cook will have 2-3 great games a year, every other game he is mediocre or bad. Time to move on and at minimum Harkey can block. Maybe he can catch too. He hasn't been given much of a chance.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
Harkey can catch, just not a huge matchup problem like Cook. After watching Cook stand around rather than block, I'd rather see Harkey to improve the run game.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Gotta disagree, 12.

When Fisher benched Jenkins and Givens for a curfew violation before that away game in '12 vs the Niners, it was harsh. Two starters benched in a season where we had a shot at a winning record.

But the other players played their hearts out, didn't they? Can't remember if they won or tied, but they gave the eventual NFC Champs all they wanted, and more. And never another peep about curfew violations from ANY player since. Message was definitely received.

I think it is past time for our "players" HC to make another dramatic statement.

Anybody that has raised boys knows what I'm talking about. Lol.

There is a difference between off the field rules violations - especially rookies - and veterans dropping a few passes or missing some blocks.

I have boys myself and one thing I know - different kids respond differently to punishment. What works on one kid doesn't necessarily work on another.

I do know that if my boys were trying their butts off but made some mistakes and failed - the last thing I would do is sit them out ... I'd want them back out there again and again - trying to get that confidence back - showing them that I still believe in them.

If they quit on me - on the other hand - I'd bench em.

BTW - I think the Jenkins / Givens benching game ended in a tie.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'm certainly not advocating cutting EITHER player. Don't have a clue where that came from. Just sitting one (or both) for anywhere from first series up to maybe whole first quarter.
Ahh, that's me..just insert cutting TIME...which is what I meant.....not actually cutting guys like Kendricks or Cookie....and see below...

Cook was pretty mad about being wide open twice but Foles just checking down instead of going his way.
I agree with this...can't prove it, but from what I could tell, Foles looked OFF the whole game...For 2 games actually...A little late, and several times it appeared he had plenty of time but failed to find open receivers.....and if you're scrambling, which is an extra second or 3, and can't find an open target, I'm guessing you just didn't see them....but they were there...

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
There is a difference between off the field rules violations - especially rookies - and veterans dropping a few passes or missing some blocks.

I have boys myself and one thing I know - different kids respond differently to punishment. What works on one kid doesn't necessarily work on another.

I do know that if my boys were trying their butts off but made some mistakes and failed - the last thing I would do is sit them out ... I'd want them back out there again and again - trying to get that confidence back - showing them that I still believe in them.

If they quit on me - on the other hand - I'd bench em.

BTW - I think the Jenkins / Givens benching game ended in a tie.

You think Cook is "trying his butt off", 12?

I sure don't.

He has such a high ceiling that some fans get carried away with him a little bit. But he doesn't have the heart or desire needed to reach his potential. At least in my opinion. Players in their 7th year seldom have a big breakout. What you see with Cook is what you're gonna get.

But I understand that there is a bumper crop of outstanding TE's in next year's draft. Lol.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
@ram43 - I don't think Cook is slacking off out there. There is more to football than just wanting it more. Blocking is a skill - it can be practiced and improved on - but like running or shooting free throws - some guys are just never going to be great at it.

We knew Cook wasn't a blocker when we signed him - so we shouldn't be surprised that isn't a blocker now. He has his moments blocking - but he was brought in to be a receiving threat - and while he isn't necessarily an 8m per year threat - he has been the team's best receiving threat since coming here.

It's not a try harder thing - at least not the way I see it.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@ram43 - I don't think Cook is slacking off out there. There is more to football than just wanting it more. Blocking is a skill - it can be practiced and improved on - but like running or shooting free throws - some guys are just never going to be great at it.

We knew Cook wasn't a blocker when we signed him - so we shouldn't be surprised that isn't a blocker now. He has his moments blocking - but he was brought in to be a receiving threat - and while he isn't necessarily an 8m per year threat - he has been the team's best receiving threat since coming here.

It's not a try harder thing - at least not the way I see it.

We just disagree, 12. Which is fine.

I think Cook's problem IS a "try harder" thing.

If he had the heart and desire that Amendola had in his little finger, Cook could be one of the very best TE's in the league.

But he just doesn't.

I believe that sitting him for a couple of series might just give him the necessary motivation to finally be all he can be.

And a number of other players could see that Fisher is finally serious about demanding better performances. The ripple effect could be quite dramatic.

Given our pathetic current O, what the hell do we have to lose, anyway? We're already 32nd place. Lol.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Gotta disagree, 12.

When Fisher benched Jenkins and Givens for a curfew violation before that away game in '12 vs the Niners, it was harsh. Two starters benched in a season where we had a shot at a winning record.

But the other players played their hearts out, didn't they? Can't remember if they won or tied, but they gave the eventual NFC Champs all they wanted, and more. And never another peep about curfew violations from ANY player since. Message was definitely received.

I think it is past time for our "players" HC to make another dramatic statement.

Anybody that has raised boys knows what I'm talking about. Lol.

I say let's shoot the bunch and start over again.....