Here's an off the wall question about Cook and Kendricks...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
They both had terrible games against the Steelers, as we all know.

Critical missed blocks.

Extremely critical multiple drops. Drive killers. One for a possible missed TD.

Sooooo..... I've been thinking...

What about sitting Cook and Kendricks for a series or two to begin the Card game? Heck, maybe even the first quarter?

It would really make a statement on Fisher's part. In fact, it's probably exactly what a strong HC would do. HC's like Arians, Bellichek, Parcells, etc.

Justice Cunningham could be activated for this one game. He and Harkey could carry the load for at least a series or two.

I'm thinking something dramatic like this might not only send a message to Cook and Kendricks, but to the entire roster. Multiple screw ups will not be tolerated without consequence.

It may be a case of cutting off our nose to spite our face in the opinion of some, but I don't think so. The value of the powerful statement by Fisher would carry over to other players and for a long, long time.

Remember in '12 when Fisher not only sat Jenkins and Givens for a curfew violation the night before an important Niner game? Plus he had them publicly run the stadium steps and cut the 3rd violator altogether. Message was definitely received and I don't recall another reported curfew violation in the 3+ years since!

I'm old school, myself. This is not unlike raising one's kids when you get right down to it.

So... What do you guys think?

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I could see sitting Cooke because of lack of effort . He is hard to figure out .

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I'd definitely do it, it's time for our WRs to start getting those looks if Kendricks and Cook are going to have such trouble holding onto them. If I'm the Rams I put some serious thought into signing Brett Brackett. He's not going to wow anybody with his receiving, but he's an excellent blocker and it would show a commitment to the run and opposite of Harkey that would definitely help out Tackles who are desperately in need of some help, especially Robinson. That or try to swing a trade for somebody who can use a H-back and wants to deal with their inconsistency.

We have to commit to one thing, we can't keep trying to be cute and being both. Are we a run team? If so we're going to have to help our lineman create holes, are we a big passing team? If so then we need to expect more from our guys and hold them accountable and we need to stop whatever we're doing that makes them not give a shit about their drops.

Trying to be both and instead just looking like a bipolar team without an identity isn't going to cut it anymore.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We're going to give Cunningham a spot on the 53 just to make a point? Who are we cutting? And then what do we do with Justice after Cook and Kendricks get the drift?
I like the idea of starting Harkey, true blocking TE. Bench Kendricks and if Cook doesn't light it up, sit his azz down

Irish

Starter
Cook could get cut tomorrow and I wouldn't be terribly disappointed. There is your roster spot for Quick.

fearsomefour

Legend
The problem is the double standard.....or maybe it not a problem at all.
What about missed blocking assignments by the Oline?....missed reads/throws by the QB? In the Washington game they (the D line/front seven) lost lane discipline and it led to long runs. Do you sit Quinn for not holding the edge....do you sit Brockers for not doing his job correctly? Do you sit Johnson for dropping an easy pic vs Washington?
The list goes on. If you want to single out two guys for an O that has scored 1 offensive TD in the last 8 quarters go ahead, thats not how I would run the team.
I have been on Cook as much as anyone. We are reading a lot into what he does. Lack of effort should be changed to perceived lack of effort.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
@Rams43

Too soon to be cutting guys, benching guys....Foles had the worst game of any on the offense last week...Hell, the last 2 weeks...are we gonna bench him for Keenum too?

Lets let the games play out, re-evaluate after the 5th game, during the bye week.....

I have faith in Cook to get it together....He's always open too...So is Kendricks....

Edit:
And this is for the offense...Defensively I have other thoughts, due in part to higher expectations & Williams & Co. being together for 2 years....Sorta like, I give Ayers and Fairley a pass cause they're new...some others.......not so much.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
I'm conflicted... I think maybe because they're both paid very highly I expect near perfect games from them. And according to another thread (the Benoit tweets) Cook was pretty mad about being wide open twice but Foles just checking down instead of going his way. OTOH, I also see where they're not running out routes, but cutting them off, etc.--which is what TA has done a number of times as well.

Actually I think the entire O needs to run the bleachers.

NateTheRam

Rookie
Name
Nathan
I don't think so, why would you sit our leading WR which is a TE? Won't happen not gonna happen

CoachO

Hall of Fame
We have enough problems with the 53 to try and get Justice Cunningham activated. We still need a spot for Quick.
Quick is on the 53 man roster. Not sure what you're referring to "we need a spot for Quick".

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cook could get cut tomorrow and I wouldn't be terribly disappointed. There is your roster spot for Quick.
I agree.

Fisher brought in "his guy" and he really hasn't lived up to his contract, IMO.

Yes, he's the leading receiver... on a pretty bad passing team. Doesn't get me all giddy.

He either can't or refuses to block.

He takes plays (heck, entire games) off.

And that little episode with Davis last year?

I like value when we pick up a free agent... in my opinion, he really doesn't provide much (value).

Kendricks is a more versatile TE and doesn't break the bank. Yeah, he had a bad game... but he never takes plays off and clearly gives it his all. As a general rule, he makes those catches.

A couple snippets from Thomas's chat this week:
Question: Is the team allowed to practice in the dome? I ask because Kendricks complained he lost the ball in the lights. If that is the case it seems to me a good spell of practice in the dome, under the lights, would be in order.
Thomas: They've practiced in the dome once or twice before. In fairness to Kendricks, I have been told by past receivers that they thought there was a blind spot or two in the dome lighting.

Comment: I can't imagine what would Brady say if he tossed the ball to Gronk and he dropped it twice in a game. This is unacceptable. It's time to cut ties with Kendricks.
Thomas: You mean the same Kendricks who made that huge TD catch in the upset over Seattle? That guy?

Fact is, players have off games. But the effort needs to be there every game...

jjab360

Legend
Outside of disciplinary action, I think you put the players who give you the best chance to win on the field, period. If that's Harkey, then so be it.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Lot's of good responses, and I'll try to clarify without naming names.

In no particular order...

I'm certainly not advocating cutting EITHER player. Don't have a clue where that came from. Just sitting one (or both) for anywhere from first series up to maybe whole first quarter.

Maybe activating J Cunningham is unnecessary.

Foles' numbers and results would look a helluva lot better without the 11.5% drop rate in the last 2 games. A HELLUVA lot better.

No need to get carried away with unnecessary hair splitting as to which other players to sit for single mistakes, either. That's straw man territory. Cook and Kendricks' screw ups were not only egregious, but they kept repeating them. Make an example of one or both. Message will be effectively sent and received.

Strong HC's make strong moves. Fisher needs to take off his "players coach" hat here and make a damned statement. This O needs some kind of a dose of reality shakeup.

Remember how Palmer in his midweek presser said that Arians was a tough coach to play for because he was so demanding? Yet he made the players better and they loved and respected him for it? That's human nature 101, fellas. A little tough love goes a long way. Fisher needs to show some of that Arians type attitude, and quickly.

If you've got an issue with Arians as an example, then substitute a Parcells, Jimmy Johnson, Lombardi, or whomever you like. Time for Fisher to stop coddling players that "lose focus" and make "mistakes". The team will respond positively if Fisher makes a stand. Trust me.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
We are going to need our most talented players to play well to have a chance at these next two games. There are plenty of ways to send a message to the team without having to play lesser talents in games that we really need to win.

I'm disappointed in the TE play, too - but I don't think benching these guys is the answer.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
We are going to need our most talented players to play well to have a chance at these next two games. There are plenty of ways to send a message to the team without having to play lesser talents in games that we really need to win.

I'm disappointed in the TE play, too - but I don't think benching these guys is the answer.

Gotta disagree, 12.

When Fisher benched Jenkins and Givens for a curfew violation before that away game in '12 vs the Niners, it was harsh. Two starters benched in a season where we had a shot at a winning record.

But the other players played their hearts out, didn't they? Can't remember if they won or tied, but they gave the eventual NFC Champs all they wanted, and more. And never another peep about curfew violations from ANY player since. Message was definitely received.

I think it is past time for our "players" HC to make another dramatic statement.

Anybody that has raised boys knows what I'm talking about. Lol.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kendricks blocking is as bad (if not worse) as Cook. Don't know why that gets overlooked