Here's An Idea….

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Oh blue we've seen the regular refs huddle up and try to figure things out plenty of times LOL.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
We should make the cheerleaders refs. Would make the game more enjoyable. Plus how can you get made at puppy dog eyes and a pair of double D's?

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We should make the cheerleaders refs. Would make the game more enjoyable. Plus how can you get made at puppy dog eyes and a pair of double D's?

I get mad at my girlfriend from time to time, so it can be done.

Ramathon

Unless I'm mistaken, there are 7 on field officials for each game. Anyone know if that's correct?
And if so, does anyone know if/when that number came to be? Were there 4 or 5 originally and it has increased over the history of the league, or has the number remained to the same from the beginning.(???) I'm too lazy to look it up at the moment.

IMO, the problem is not as much the referees themselves (though certainly at least in part) as it is the number of rules that have been created and they have been charged with enforcing. I can't imagine them being able to observe all the flagrant stuff they're asked to enforce these days, let alone the exceptions and/or nuances incorporated into many rules. I suspect they'd have to have the 'vision' of an HoF running back to observe everything they're charged with enforcing to be as effective as fans want them to be.

Plus......, this is football folks. We're not engaging in trying to bring peace to the Middle East. Some folks need to hear the 'R-e-l-a-x' admonition Aaron Rodgers gave Green Bay fans recently. Good grief.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Sorry but I really think the majority of the problem still rests at the feet of Goodell and others actually running the NFL into the ground. The refs are being told to err on the side of safety. To call penalties if in doubt - I almost guarantee you. Combine that with the fact that these refs have hit the big leagues and want to be seen. Sorry if this is cynical but I really think it's the case. The refs are enjoying the spotlight good or bad and they have the excuse of a mandated safety above all policy. The NFL needs to realize the distaste fans have for all the bullshit penalties. The NFL needs to realize the fans are getting tired of watching very intense players with a select set of skills, not being able to do what they do best and having games decided by zebras making phantom calls in the name of safety. The NFL doesn't care about safety in reality. They care about the appearance that they care and the lawsuits that will follow if they don't put forth that face.

The NFL could easily scale back the flags and simply fine or suspend players for malicious acts. Or as I think it was Ditka once said... Make them use leather helmets again if you really want to reduce head to head contact.