Here are the 5 things I’m most interested in observing this season…

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
And I might add that I can hardly wait.

Both for the impact on the team and for the sheer joy of seeing good play at their respective positions.

And they are ranked in this exact order for me:

Bobby Wagner. I’m expecting a quantum leap at ILB with numerous positive ripple effects to rest of the D.

Allen Robinson. This WR and this QB are PERFECT for each other. I fully expect fireworks.

Cam Akers. If truly healthy, Akers could give the Rams a very potent ground game making this O a 2-headed monster to defend.

Rochell/Long at boundary CB. I’m hopeful that Rochell demonstrates that he’s the future opposite Ramsey but if Long beats him out, so be it. Important thing is to have a quality CB outside there. I’m gonna be watching the rookies there, too. Btw, I expect Hill to be our slot at least through mid season.

Ernest Jones. Yeah, a 2nd ILB on this list. I’m excited to see his 2nd year development alongside Wagner. Sky might be the limit given his instincts.

Honorable mention should go to Nick Scott, Greg Gaines, and Justin Hollins, all for obvious reasons. You’d better believe that I’m gonna enjoy watching those guys.

What’s your Top 5? Or maybe you have a different order?

fearsomefour

Legend
Im interested to watch preseason battles this year......
Perkins vs Wolford.
Who locks down the starting RG spot?
The DL competition for depth spots should be interesting.
Safeties......lots and lots of safeties.....
Tutu Atwell.
Hollins and Jones finding snaps in the LB corp.
OLB rushers not named Floyd. Really want to see if Lewis and or Garrett and can take the next step.
With Ramsey and Hill in the fold at CB, how does the CB depth pan out.
Are the Rams still going to bring in that extra S to play the hybrid LB/S spot?
Does Rapp still fit?
The punters battle should be a battle between punters.....

oldnotdead

Legend
Rochell was the starter last year before he got hurt and Long was on the team. I have no doubt they are looking at returning Rochell as their #CB. I think Durant will show he's their #3 CB before the end of the season. Durant has the talent they look for in a SCB.

That said about Durant, I expect Morris to play a lot of 3 safety sets with 2 LBs. I expect that the Rams base will be a nickel with Wagner and Jones as the starting ILB. I think Rapp will be that nickel back playing an in the box SS with Fuller and Scott behind him.
If the Rams don't trade for an edge I think we will see a rotation of Lewis and Hollins again with Garrett taking Okoronkwo's snaps. IMO Lewis needs to have a breakout year but I think the Rams would trade for an edge if given the opportunity. Bobby Brown red-shirted last year he needs to show he can replace A'Shawn Robinson on the DL next year. The Rams need a less expensive option for that rotational NT position. I can see Morris continuing to shift Gaines to 3T when AD is out. Robinson is a very expensive rotational option at NT. Bobby Brown needs to emerge this TC.

I expect OBJ to return. Right now IMO it's all a matter of contract structure and guaranteed money. IMO the Rams are trying to save enough cap to sign an edge long-term. A compromise will be reached because with Kupp, Robinson, OBJ, Jefferson, Skowronek, and Tutu they are set in the WR room. I see them moving Harris back to TE for now. Higbee will be gone in 2024 so that gives them 2 years to groom Harris for the position. Blanton and Hopkins look to be good backups at TE, but right now I don't see a starter in either one. Harris would give them a level of threat they haven't had at TE.

RBs are set with Akers, Henderson, and Williams.

The OL looks like it could be improved by the end of the season. Edwards need to prove he's worth a follow-on contract at LG. If he continues to struggle, I can see Shelton taking over. Edwards IMO is a bubble sitter. With Shelton signed for two years and Edwards at the end of his rookie contract he's not a lock to make the roster much less to retain the start at LG. If Edwards is released it frees up $2M in cap and he doesn't project as a comp pick. Jackson looked good last year and see him as the starter penciled in at RT next year. This gives them a red-shirt year for Arcuri. Evans is also a bubble sitter if Synder shows promise in TC. RG is Bruss' position to lose.

I don't see Hill as much of a lock, I see him as a one-year potential hole-filler for Deayon and insurance that Durant can fill the role as SCB. Hill is limited schematically in how he's played. Morris plays mostly zone which plays to Hill's strength. That said, after watching him last year I don't see him as anything but a one-year rental.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
If Boom stays healthy, our OL should be pretty good. I believe Ernest Jones makes a quantum leap from what was a good 2021 season and IMO, a solid performance in the super bowl. Now of course, AD makes most defensive players better because he commands double and triple teams. That's why some players get paid big bucks but don't perform after leaving the Rams. We'll have a future HOF player on each level of the defense and the offense looks to be just as good or better this season. If OBJ returns, I think the Rams will have a great shot at running it back. We can still run it back without OBJ but his presence would make a huge difference.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Lots of intriguing stories to watch;

Edge.. who steps up opposite Floyd?

Starting CB opposite Ramsey… Lots of young CB’s. What do we have?

Noteboom will have my eye, but we probably don’t see much until the regular season.

In addition to Noteboom, also RG… does the new line show more running game?

Punting and holding… this is a big deal. We’ve been SO STEADY with Hekker. How does this go?

Atwell… his rookie season sewed a lot of doubts, but we didn’t see much and he DID show some flash. What does year 2 look like?

Harris was last preseason’s hidden gem. Does that continue, or cool?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Can Noteboom survive the whole season without injury/missing games?

Is Akers the RB that we think he is?

Will Robinson and Kupp receive more than 1100 yards each? Will Stafford break 5000 yards passing and 50 TDs?

Will Old but Not Dead call for a Havenstein trade before Week One?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Rochell was the starter last year before he got hurt and Long was on the team. I have no doubt they are looking at returning Rochell as their #CB. I think Durant will show he's their #3 CB before the end of the season. Durant has the talent they look for in a SCB.

That said about Durant, I expect Morris to play a lot of 3 safety sets with 2 LBs. I expect that the Rams base will be a nickel with Wagner and Jones as the starting ILB. I think Rapp will be that nickel back playing an in the box SS with Fuller and Scott behind him.
If the Rams don't trade for an edge I think we will see a rotation of Lewis and Hollins again with Garrett taking Okoronkwo's snaps. IMO Lewis needs to have a breakout year but I think the Rams would trade for an edge if given the opportunity. Bobby Brown red-shirted last year he needs to show he can replace A'Shawn Robinson on the DL next year. The Rams need a less expensive option for that rotational NT position. I can see Morris continuing to shift Gaines to 3T when AD is out. Robinson is a very expensive rotational option at NT. Bobby Brown needs to emerge this TC.

I expect OBJ to return. Right now IMO it's all a matter of contract structure and guaranteed money. IMO the Rams are trying to save enough cap to sign an edge long-term. A compromise will be reached because with Kupp, Robinson, OBJ, Jefferson, Skowronek, and Tutu they are set in the WR room. I see them moving Harris back to TE for now. Higbee will be gone in 2024 so that gives them 2 years to groom Harris for the position. Blanton and Hopkins look to be good backups at TE, but right now I don't see a starter in either one. Harris would give them a level of threat they haven't had at TE.

RBs are set with Akers, Henderson, and Williams.

The OL looks like it could be improved by the end of the season. Edwards need to prove he's worth a follow-on contract at LG. If he continues to struggle, I can see Shelton taking over. Edwards IMO is a bubble sitter. With Shelton signed for two years and Edwards at the end of his rookie contract he's not a lock to make the roster much less to retain the start at LG. If Edwards is released it frees up $2M in cap and he doesn't project as a comp pick. Jackson looked good last year and see him as the starter penciled in at RT next year. This gives them a red-shirt year for Arcuri. Evans is also a bubble sitter if Synder shows promise in TC. RG is Bruss' position to lose.

I don't see Hill as much of a lock, I see him as a one-year potential hole-filler for Deayon and insurance that Durant can fill the role as SCB. Hill is limited schematically in how he's played. Morris plays mostly zone which plays to Hill's strength. That said, after watching him last year I don't see him as anything but a one-year rental.
Old is ok. Dead is ok as well as it is to stop the players getting cut & released for salary cap.

As an example Howard getting cut to save cap.The Rams though don’t give up on there players.Under Sean Mcvay they develop them.

If your talking Edwards or Havenstien getting cut or traded I’d say the opposite is or has happened.

The Rams will have 3 Badgers on the Offensive line which have a nice connection & relationship.

I sent in photos of Whitworth showing Havenstien & Noteboom how to find balance & steps in protection after a training camp practice.I just saw a photo of Big Whitworth doing in street close at a Rams OTA practice.They still use his garage with a trainer & other O’Lineman.

I mean come on OLDMAN!!! Bruuuuzzzzz!!

Then I remember the Old Brockers as well & I was for cap savings.Next season he walks as a FA only to be brought back Baltimore like Roger Saffold from the Raiders.

Rams for a comp pick for Saffold who comes to town with Von Miller. Then Brockers got traded. For who(draft pick?)

Point being this offensive line is lead NOW by Nig Rob Havenstien!!! Mcvay has said that all off season.It’s about mentoring & building up players.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Add Troy Hill who myself at one point thought about cap space.Going to training camp in 2019 I saw how talented he was.

If your talking about Rochelle & Long? Well Troy Hill will take a leadership role & Jalen trust in him.

IMO RR31 will be a better CB than D. Williams was & that Staley style defense had a lot to do with Troy Hill.
—Talk about Brockers & Saffold. Now Troy Hill is that veteran Ram who will help mentor.

All these rookies will find there spot.

I also think T. Burgees is a guy Raheem Morris is pushing & giving a hard time to to get better.
Fuller vs. Scott will be interesting as well & curious about the depth.

This Durant kid is SMALL! He is sticky from a quick view & photo.I think of him right now as the Jacob Harris of the 2021 OTA’s internet draft hype.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
Great thread! You captured my own optimism

The players you mention genuinely excite me and I cannot wait to see our players development

I wonder if can unearth a gem of a situational pass rusher to spell Hollins on the weak side? There is plenty of talent but who if anyone will emerge?

Who will start at RG? It does sound as though our top pick is likely to prevail. If so, can he produce more push in the running game? I think so but am keen to see

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Lots of intriguing stories to watch;

Edge.. who steps up opposite Floyd?

Starting CB opposite Ramsey… Lots of young CB’s. What do we have?

Noteboom will have my eye, but we probably don’t see much until the regular season.

In addition to Noteboom, also RG… does the new line show more running game?

Punting and holding… this is a big deal. We’ve been SO STEADY with Hekker. How does this go?

Atwell… his rookie season sewed a lot of doubts, but we didn’t see much and he DID show some flash. What does year 2 look like?

Harris was last preseason’s hidden gem. Does that continue, or cool?
Funny- Harris a hidden gem ? Ben Sko actually turned out to be that player as a 7th rd pick & core special teams guy.
—Hopkins? Does anyone remember the SuperBowl.I know at training camp I saw Hopkins pouting.Tutu not around be cause of Covid & Harris doing side work & taking reps.
—Harris from a self scouting report was a weird strider with a hop to it.
He is a big WR/TE just awkward.

—Blanton if you go back when know one thought he’d make the squad shined going across the middle & endzone.He is bigger & smoother.
He also has so much more experience after taking over for Johnny Mundt who seemed to be hurt again during the beginning of training camp?

DJ1 was running first team last season along with Robert(Bobby Trees) Woods. I can see Tutu Atwell getting some of those kinds of routes.Tutu was doing it last preseason during games.

JJ Koski goes unnoticed,but is going into his 3rd season & got some playing time.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
1. Right Guard....It all starts there, Austin Corbett was solid in pass protection and did not commit many penalties, here is hoping Logan Bruss can be as good.

2. OLB...Hollins, Lewis & Chris Garrett. Can Hollins & Lewis stay healthy and can Garrett add a little zest and gives us hope week over week?

3. LCB...Long seem to improve and played well in post season, Rochell has more upside, but struggled stepping up in class & staying healthy.

4. RB...Need health here Akers, Henderson who struggles and Williams who is very small is already hurt. Rams might have to make another deal to add somebody who is dependable and can stay healthy.

5. Punter...Riley Dixon would be solid IMO, plus he's an excellent holder & was a high school QB like Hekker. Cameron Dicker has a huge leg, but can that translate into punting plus, he has never held for anyone before being a kicker primarily.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
@Rams43 many ILBs could be an upgrade over Reeder. I watched the whiner playoff game and there were at least 3 plays where he was dragged by a receiver or RB for a first down. Even the announcers were getting irritated calling it.

Reeder was nothing more than a back up. I wish him the best of luck with his new team.

So yes, Wagner will be a huge upgrade over Reeder.