Here are my Ram needed position upgrades in order to be a SB contender…

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
The good news is that some of these upgrades are already on the roster.

In no particular order:

Backup QB. Mayfield would be perfect and my personal favorite option. Not only a tremendous upgrade but a quality starter if Stafford can’t go. But if not, then SOME upgrade over Wolford and Perkins must occur.

RB. Duh! I’m talking definite starter here. Great draft for a RB, though. No FA’s, please.

OC. Could draft OG/OC stud with a high pick. If not, Shelton is an upgrade over Allen if only because he stays healthier.

LOT. A high draft pick if one falls or a solid FA works for me. Otherwise, Jackson is an upgrade over Boom here.

LG. Could be Jackson if Rams acquire a new LOT. If not should be the OG/OC suggested above, leaving Shelton at OC.

RG. By default it would be best of Anchrum, Bruss, Brewer, or ???. Not sure any are an upgrade over Shelton in ‘23, though. Gotta cut corners somewhere, I guess.

TE. This position has become a wasteland. It’s officially embarrassing. Even Higbee and his salary might be expendable. Might need 2 TE’s. Great draft for TE’s, though. Snead has never drafted a solid TE. Rams can’t even run 12 personnel sets right now. Gulp.

Edge. Just absolutely, positively gotta have one. FA, trade, draft, who cares? Probably Job One for Snead this offseason. Reportedly a pretty good draft for edge.

CB. Gonna be some shuffling here this offseason. Unless Rams are comfortable with Durant as starter opposite Ramsey they must do a FA or draft pick for a starting CB.

S. Rams are weak at this position after expected UFA losses occur. Fuller can’t stay healthy, Scott is a UFA, and Rapp can’t cover. Other than Edge, this seems our biggest weakness on D.

I haven’t dealt with pending UFA’s much. Gaines, Gay, and Dixon seem like locks to be extended. Others, not so much. Rams might be forced to sacrifice some players, in fact, they’ve already started the pruning.

A few ‘upgrade players’ are already on board and under contract. Jackson, Shelton, some combo of Anchrum, Bruss, Brewer, and possibly Durant.

However…

That leaves a ton of needed upgrades that must come from outside via trade, FA, or draft.

RB
LOT or LG or OC (I’ll count this as just one acquisition based upon above suppositions)
TE (maybe 2)
Edge
CB
S

IOW, Snead has to hit on those 6 positions this offseason. And if he replaces Higbee then he needs a 7th hit.

Mathematically doable with 10 draft picks, some shrewd contract restructuring to free up a bit of cap room for FA, and maybe a 2nd tier trade here or there. But Snead needs to step it up with his drafting this time. ‘Pretty good’ won’t be good enough.

Meanwhile, McVay needs to shake up his asst coach staff. Recent results demand that, at least. Probably his own Job One project.

If the above are accomplished then I think Rams are back into SB conversations. Some are critically important, others are merely HIGHLY desirable. We’ll see if both Snead and McVay can get their acts together so Rams can hit the ground running come September.

Where did I go wrong?

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I think Bruss will start at RG. Rams do a disservice to quick development by having their rooks learn multiple positions. I think we can upgrade LT.

Honestly though, if the Rams just through every resource to both sides of the line, everything else will take care of itself

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Nothing wrong but it's kind of optimistic to think all those things could be addressed in the off-season.

One pick in the 30s. Another in the late 60s. After that, the draft choices will be in 100s and 200s; and the Rams have not enjoyed much success there in recent drafts.

They can clear some cap space but most teams will have more $ to spend. We talk about Edge, Left Tackle and Cornerback but those are three of the most difficult and expensive positions to fill.

With a relatively healthy roster and a few up-grades, I think the Rams are much better but the roster is far from loaded in my opinion; and most of their top-talent (Stafford, Donald, Ramsey, Kupp, Wagner, Havenstein ... maybe Robinson) is older.

One positive is that the 2023 draft class may have depth at both Edge and O-Line. Of course, that would mean the Rams actually spend their top picks on Edge and/or O-Line.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Your list seems to be pretty spot on. I'm honestly of the opinion that our OL will actually be above average next season provided we don't lose 8 to injuries. We certainly found out what we have with all of the OL. Bruss could be the answer at OG, we saw zero real snaps for him. Edge would be my top priority with our first pick personally, and likely the Rams will agree. Pathetic contributions from our edge this season and our D has played pretty good despite that.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nothing wrong but it's kind of optimistic to think all those things could be addressed in the off-season.

One pick in the 30s. Another in the late 60s. After that, the draft choices will be in 100s and 200s; and the Rams have not enjoyed much success there in recent drafts.

They can clear some cap space but most teams will have more $ to spend. We talk about Edge, Left Tackle and Cornerback but those are three of the most difficult and expensive positions to fill.

With a relatively healthy roster and a few up-grades, I think the Rams are much better but the roster is far from loaded in my opinion; and most of their top-talent (Stafford, Donald, Ramsey, Kupp, Wagner, Havenstein ... maybe Robinson) is older.

One positive is that the 2023 draft class may have depth at both Edge and O-Line. Of course, that would mean the Rams actually spend their top picks on Edge and/or O-Line.
Not saying that it’s gonna be easy, just saying that they have to do a reasonably good job of getting it done. Period.

Rams will have to pull out all of the stops, I think. Do some real outside-the-box strategizing.

Be very aggressive in restructuring contracts to free up cap dollars.

Might have to sacrifice Boom and/or Floyd.

Trade down in 2nd and/or 3rd round to gain picks in a draft loaded with Ram position needs.

Beyond that, Snead needs to outdo himself on late picks. Might want to keep McVay at arms length so he can’t come up with any more ‘Atwell type’ suggestions.

I’m REALLY counting on McVay to churn his asst coach roster this offseason. I think that was part if the problem this season, frankly.

2023 may be the last year of Rams SB window. No time to hold back now. Rams need to leapfrog Eagles and 49ers, among others.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Not saying that it’s gonna be easy, just saying that they have to do a reasonably good job of getting it done. Period.

Rams will have to pull out all of the stops, I think. Do some real outside-the-box strategizing.

Hope it plays out that way. I'm getting up there in age. Would love another Lombardi in my lifetime.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The OL must be fixed first off. Lot of different approaches but I think the best would be sign a FA who plays on the interior this offseason and luck into an OT they like as a LT development project in early round two. Then we would have good options to start plus backup options at critical spots. Either way at a minimum one FA added and one draft pick added. That should give us enough talent up front.

They also need a RB. McVay simply won't call runs if he's not feeling the back out there so find someone who can handle the carry load. Can be a FA or a late rounder or even a UDFA. Flood this room with options in the offseason and make it cutthroat in camp.

Defensive front won't get a pass rusher for the blindside. Not this offseason. So focus on cheap rotational big boys who can stuff the run.

And secondary needs help. We need one safety and you can find those relatively easy via draft or FA. And a young corner for the depth chart would be nice, we need one who projects outside the hash.

Not an impossible list. But it will require some creative caponomics for sure.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
A big class of FA RBs this year, I’d love to see Pollard wearing horns.

If there is a player who is a difference maker no matter the position trading up in the first round to get him would be good with me even if they traded away the 24 first round pick to get it done.

They can’t keep expecting 6th round players and UDFAs to fill the roster.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
A big class of FA RBs this year, I’d love to see Pollard wearing horns.
I get a little frustrated when I see Pollard play well ... which he often does.

Pollard and Darrell Henderson were teammates at Memphis, and both were in the 2019 Draft.

The Rams took Henderson with the 70th pick; and Pollard fell to #128 overall.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim

Pollard and Darrell Henderson were teammates at Memphis, and both were in the 2019 Draft.

I’m with you there. Pollard just looks more fluid and has been much more durable.

I can’t imagine Dallas letting him get away, I think he is better than Elliot.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion

I could of happily went through the day not remembering that again lol. Look at them now. Henderson is a street FA, Pollard is a prize RB in the free agency pool about to get paid. Love me some Pollard but 2nd RB contracts always make me leery.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I could of happily went through the day not remembering that again lol. Look at them now. Henderson is a street FA, Pollard is a prize RB in the free agency pool about to get paid. Love me some Pollard but 2nd RB contracts always make me leery.

I apologize for causing you pain.

Agree with you about being leery with a free agent RB. The Rams will have to be smart with (likely) limited $ to spend in free agency. With so many good/solid RBs in the NFL who were late round picks and undrafted free agents, the Rams need to find one or two that way ... in my opinion.

Just think their off-season resources will be limited; and they can't spend a high pick or FA-$ on a RB.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim

Agree with you about being leery with a free agent RB. The Rams will have to be smart with (likely) limited $ to spend in free agency. With so many good/solid RBs in the NFL who were late round picks and undrafted free agents, the Rams need to find one or two that way ... in my opinion.

Just think their off-season resources will be limited; and they can't spend a high pick or FA-$ on a RB.
Maybe they can ask Fisher for some help scouting RBs:eyeroll:

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
It's a good list but just near impossible to address in one off season. I think they need to take what little resources they have and throw it all at the OL.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
For the Rams to get significantly better next year.. it's going to require a good draft, smart FA signings... AND some real improvement from young players on the roster.

Alaric Jackson, Logan Bruss and Tremayne Anchrum taking a big step together would dramatically change the Offensive Line's fortune. Is that too much to hope for?

Skow and Tutu will need to keep improving.. they're already showing they can be valuable pieces.

Kyren Williams needs to be a *solid* rotational back. Solid.

Durant and, especially, Rochell could make the secondary look dramatically differently with their speed.

Yeast or Lake is going to have to step up and play at least as good as Rapp or Scott.. because at least one of them is gone.

Bobby Brown needs to make a jump.. he's the prime candidate to replace Gaines or Robinson.. they have to have him show up.

I haven't completely lost faith in Hopkins.. but I'm almost there.

So, yeah.. they need to hit on a lot of additions.. but these players need to grow up.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
RB. Duh! I’m talking definite starter here. Great draft for a RB, though. No FA’s, please.

Where did I go wrong?

With all our other needs, I'm no longer sure this is where we want to spend much of our higher draft capital this year.
Do we want to create more infighting in the RB room like we had with Henderson/Akers vying for starter snaps ? Have we seen enough of Kyren Williams to push him down the depth chart to RB3/4 already ? Akers is under contract for 2023, ... seems the guy we may want to replace on the roster is soon to be 30 year old Malcolm Brown, and we can probably add another big man like him in the later rounds. Akers, Williams & Rivers are all 5'10" or under, don't we now need a bigger player who might move the line in short yardage or goal line situations ? Free agency can provide an inexpensive RB4 as injury insurance imo.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
For me, it's a return to the bad years when I started looking at the Draft and Free Agency in November.

Now, I should preface this with the honest/direct point that ... I really don't have a fucking clue.

However, early indications (from various draft sites and resources) are that there is depth at Edge and O-Line, which I consider to be two of the Rams' highest off-season priorities. One good addition at either position, could be a big-plus for the 2023 Rams.

If they are drafting in the mid/high-30s, you immediately take-off the List the top four Edge and OL, because those guys ain't-gonna-be-there. Then you start hoping the 5th or 6th best players at those positions fall to the Rams ... AND ... you PRAY there is quality depth at those positions.

Personally, I take-out my Jesus, Buddha and Mohammed statutes; and look for some bald heads to rub without getting punched in the face. By-the-way, should a top Edge or OL start to fall, I will risk a face-punch and rub any bald head I can find.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Snead might have three 7th rd selections but a sure two 7th rd selections to use for RB's. I would call Andy Reed @ KC & ask him how he found his hot strong fast starting RB with a 7th rd pick this season
OC. Could draft OG/OC stud with a high pick. If not, Shelton is an upgrade over Allen if only because he stays healthier.
Do we know if our starting OC Brian Allen has had a week when he was NOT on the injury list?

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Snead might have three 7th rd selections but a sure two 7th rd selections to use for RB's. I would call Andy Reed @ KC & ask him how he found his hot strong fast starting RB with a 7th rd pick this season

Do we know if our starting OC Brian Allen has had a week when he was NOT on the injury list?
If they draft an RB.. I just want a late round size-speed prospect.
Kinda like Pacheco.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
We're not gonna find enough upgrades in the draft with only two day 2 picks. Odds are the late day 3 picks would only be role/depth players. They will need some vets and hope the guys they already have now be healthier than they're were this season.

With Stafford I don't think they should be contemplating a rebuild. They just need some pieces and better luck on the injury situation. They need a backup QB for sure.

They could use some vet depth on the offensive line. We know Allen and Noteboom are injury prone. Can't count of them for 14 or more games. Jackson and Anchrum both showed promise. But they both went down for the season. We don't know if they will be injury prone. They really need to be better prepared when guys on the line go down.

If Akers can show us something these last 4 games I think running back won't be as high a priority. If not then yeah, they gotta find someone they can count on. Williams has shown promise but still an unknown.

Odds are, with no first round picks the rookies will need time. Might not find an immediate starter in the draft. But its also time to get younger. A lot of core players are reaching 30 or older. That's an age where injuries tend to happen more often.

Bottom line, I don't see us being a legit Superbowl contender in the near future. But if they upgrade with the right pieces I think they can be a solid playoff team.