Henry Ellard and Hollywood both belong in the HOF

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Yes, for the era he played in, he put up HOF numbers. Biletnikof, Branch, Swann and Stallworth are all in. Jackson should be too.

Most catches, yards and TDs by a receiver in the 1970s.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes, for the era he played in, he put up HOF numbers. Biletnikof, Branch, Swann and Stallworth are all in. Jackson should be too.

Most catches, yards and TDs by a receiver in the 1970s.
Fred Biletnikoff was on a Super Bowl winning team in 1976
Cliff Branch was on three Super Bowl inning teams: 1976, 1980, and 1983
Lynn Swann was on four Super Bowl winning teams: 1974, 1975, 1978, and 1979
John Stallworth was on four Super Bowl winning teams: 1974, 1975, 1978, and 1979

Harold Jackson wasn't on a Super Bowl winning team.

One is not like the others.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Super Bowls are won by teams, not one guy
train
True, but members of a squad tend to go into the HOF in bunches from teams that win multiple Super Bowls. Also, those guys made memorable catches in the most important games, like I would say Cooper Kupp did in this last Super Bowl. Don't get me wrong, I loved Jackson, but he never had a moment in a game like Swann did, forever memoralized on the cover of Sports Illustrated after a Super Bowl win....

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Super Bowls are won by teams, not one guy
train
Exactly. It's a shame that the media pundits have placed so much emphasis on winning the super bowl as a single player's ultimate success when it is a team game. Aaron Donald is a good example. Although he was probably a first-team HOFer before the super bowl, the media will now place him where he should have been all along... as one of (if not) the best defensive players ever.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Exactly. It's a shame that the media pundits have placed so much emphasis on winning the super bowl as a single player's ultimate success when it is a team game. Aaron Donald is a good example. Although he was probably a first-team HOFer before the super bowl, the media will now place him where he should have been all along... as one of (if not) the best defensive players ever.
There are guys from that 70's Steelers teams that are in HOF that I wouldn't trade with our guys in the same era, but our guys as a team didn't win it all. Seven straight NFC West Championships doesn't hold as much weight for candidates as one Super Bowl win. Not saying I like it, but it seems to be the case generally for HOFer voters. Heck, I think think the Steeler's water boy is in the Hall from those 70's teams.....

tempests

Hall of Fame
John Stallworth was on four Super Bowl winning teams: 1974, 1975, 1978, and 1979

"The others" had HOF QBs throwing to them, the Rams had a different starting QB pretty much every season?

The one had more catches, yards and TDs than every receiver in the league for a decade. That's the same reasoning people use for Torry Holt to get in.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"The others" had HOF QBs throwing to them, the Rams had a different starting QB pretty much every season?

The one had more catches, yards and TDs than every receiver in the league for a decade. That's the same reasoning people use for Torry Holt to get in.
Well, Torry won a Super Bowl, so he's not a good comparison with Jackson. You mentioned those HOFer WR's were receiving from HOFer QB's....well, yeah. Multiple Super Bowl winners tend to go into the Hall of Fame together in bunches. Look at the Steelers, Cowboys, Raiders....there are HOFers from those crews that were not as good as some Rams players, but they did that Super Bowl shuffle more than once. I'm just noticing what is true, not what I want necessarily......

majrleaged

Hall of Fame

I thought we have established that just because you are on shit teams, shouldn't diminish great play.

David Ray

Rookie
Name
Randall
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
True, but members of a squad tend to go into the HOF in bunches from teams that win multiple Super Bowls. Also, those guys made memorable catches in the most important games, like I would say Cooper Kupp did in this last Super Bowl. Don't get me wrong, I loved Jackson, but he never had a moment in a game like Swann did, forever memoralized on the cover of Sports Illustrated after a Super Bowl win....
That was John Stallworth on the SI. As for Hal, he made plays in big games. Remember the play in the 74 NFC title game when Harris escaped the blitz and hit #29 around midfield with Jackson taking it to the 2 yard line. Then Alan Page jumped offside and conned the gutless zebras into penalizing Tom Mack leading to Harris throwing a pick in the end zone on a tipped ball. Still, Jackson scored later in the game to give the RAMS hope before Bud Grant ran his 15 man defensive huddle to help scuttle any 4th quarter heroics by LA in the 14-10 loss. Then, in the 1976 NFC title game, Harold caught the TD pass that brought the RAMS within 17-13 but they came up short again in another snake bit loss.

Last edited: