HELP WANTED - OFFENSIVE LINEMEN!!!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

NoCoNite

ILoveGoffBalls
Name
ILoveGoffBalls
It’s Goff’s fault they are not opening up running lanes and keeping the pocket clean? This is one of the best sledging Goff posts I have read ever, for pure entertainment
No but if they’re bringing the whole defense down the middle and playing man then your first read shouldn’t be to the sideline. You had a crossing route across the middle, with an empty middle. The whole team was showing blitz and you just roll with it.
I’m not bashing Goff I’m just watching football.
You think great quarterbacks see 7 guys blitzing and stay with the same play?
How many great quarterbacks have 7 men rush against them?
They can’t bc they call an audible to a play that burns the blitz.
That’s the difference become a great quarterback and Kirk cousins.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All fair points. I figured he could probably come in at RT, move Hav to guard. All I know is something needs to change on the OL.
So unless you're a fan of the Rams for only about a year you should remember the trial of Havenstein at RG in 2017 training camp. He was beyond bad there. We're going to have to rely on these guys being coached up or replacements are going to come from in house.

And lastly the Trent Williams pipe dream is just that a dream that a dream that has no possiblity of happening not just because we won't use the draft capital that would be required to get him but his cap hit next year is more than we can afford. People need to look at these things and be realistic.

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No but if they’re bringing the whole defense down the middle and playing man then your first read shouldn’t be to the sideline. You had a crossing route across the middle, with an empty middle. The whole team was showing blitz and you just roll with it.
I’m not bashing Goff I’m just watching football.
You think great quarterbacks see 7 guys blitzing and stay with the same play?
How many great quarterbacks have 7 men rush against them?
They can’t bc they call an audible to a play that burns the blitz.
That’s the difference become a great quarterback and Kirk cousins.
Well said.
Yes, we clearly have OL issues, but Goff is mightily struggling to adapt to what the defense is giving him. Opposing teams have found the chink in Goffs armour and they are pinning their ears back. Until Goff starts dishing out consequences for their actions, we are gonna see a lot more of the same. He also needs to stop deciding where the ball will go before the ball is snapped, and see the field better - there are too many open receivers not getting the ball.

I get that people will stand up for our QB, and disapprove of the criticism, but the reality of the situation is, that when you sign for $134 million, you WILL come under a a lot more scrutiny. Especially when you have become a turnover machine in the last 12 games or so.

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
So unless you're a fan of the Rams for only about a year you should remember the trial of Havenstein at RG in 2017 training camp. He was beyond bad there. We're going to have to rely on these guys being coached up or replacements are going to come from in house.

And lastly the Trent Williams pipe dream is just that a dream that a dream that has no possiblity of happening not just because we won't use the draft capital that would be required to get him but his cap hit next year is more than we can afford. People need to look at these things and be realistic.

You're totally right. I never said it was realistic, I just want to see immediate fixes (based on my own knee jerk reactions to a frustrating loss), which I know is not necessarily possible. We have a small window and Snead is one of those GMs who will trade for someone he feels can put us over the edge against our competition. Not sure who else is really out there who could make an immediate difference on the OL. That said, what do you think is the best move for Hav?

And just to be clear, I've--like you I'm sure--watched every Rams game for the past 18 years of my life, but frankly I did forget about that failed experiment! :ROFLMAO:

fearsomefour

Legend
So the same folks who told me there were no worries about the OL now want to trade for a LT.
I don’t think any trade is coming.
As I’ve been saying this was the plan.
Allen and Boom are fine long term I think, but, things take time.
As an aside, no matter who the lineman are blocking 5 with 5 is a going to be tough.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I love the trent Williams idea, he wants out of washington , he is familiar with mcvay . But I wouldnt give up a first , washington has no leverage. I would think about trading Reynolds and a secord .

Totally agree on moving haven inside, he has been a weakness this year. That said tg has been blocking really well this year.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You're totally right. I never said it was realistic, I just want to see immediate fixes (based on my own knee jerk reactions to a frustrating loss), which I know is not necessarily possible. We have a small window and Snead is one of those GMs who will trade for someone he feels can put us over the edge against our competition. Not sure who else is really out there who could make an immediate difference on the OL. That said, what do you think is the best move for Hav?

And just to be clear, I've--like you I'm sure--watched every Rams game for the past 18 years of my life, but frankly I did forget about that failed experiment! :ROFLMAO:
Thing is we don't have a short window. If we keep drafting well and planning for the future there's no reason this can't be sustained.

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
Thing is we don't have a short window. If we keep drafting well and planning for the future there's no reason this can't be sustained.

Every team that has any shot at a deep playoff run, except the Cheatriots, have a short window. Don't get me wrong I think we're setup for success in the now and the future, but we have to capitalize on having guys like Whit, Talib, Weddle, etc.

fearsomefour

Legend
I love the trent Williams idea, he wants out of washington , he is familiar with mcvay . But I wouldnt give up a first , washington has no leverage. I would think about trading Reynolds and a secord .

Totally agree on moving haven inside, he has been a weakness this year. That said tg has been blocking really well this year.
I think Hav would get destroyed inside.
How much time does Williams have left on his contract?
A situation where the Rams would have to pay a ton for an oft injured 32 year old LT? Pass.
If he has a few years left on his deal, ok.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Biggest problem the Rams need to fix:<br><br>Bottom 5 OL in NFL in PFF grade:<br>28: NYJ 52.3<br>29: JAX 50.8<br>30: CIN 49.7<br>31: MIA 42.5<br>32: LAR 40.9<br><br>You just saw the wreckage that was Cincy&#39;s OL on MNF. The Rams are grading WORSE right now.</p>&mdash; Sam Monson (@PFF_Sam) <a href="
View: https://twitter.com/PFF_Sam/status/1179037101385342976?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
">October 1, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Memo to McVay - Snead: This is what happens when you invest 4th-5th and 6th round draft picks on the offensive line. I still trust Aaron Kromer who is a proven/great Offensive line coach for the past 12 years. Kromer will get this right.

Last edited:

CanRamFan

Starter
Name
Joe
FB_IMG_1569952867177.jpg

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I like the ideal of being offensive with our OL with running the ball even when its hard to be effective. I do not like to see an entire OL lining up in defensive mode & under attack by the pass rush DL.

Last seasons SB results was due to this defensive mind set by our OL. Time to go on the attack with this OL. McVay make it so!

Rams have three serious maulers who like it tough, mean & dirty in Allen, Blythe & Havenstein.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
I like the ideal of being offensive with our OL with running the ball even when its hard to be effective. I do not like to see an entire OL lining up in defensive mode & under attack by the pass rush DL.

Last seasons SB results was due to this defensive mind set by our OL. Time to go on the attack with this OL. McVay make it so!

Rams have three serious maulers who like it tough, mean & dirty in Allen, Blythe & Havenstein.

Agreed! We need to play smash-mouth football to put DL on the back foot. Why have we abandoned the 12? I would make Everett a much bigger part of the running game. In fact, I would play him on 80% of all snaps! He is a threat blocking, catching and running.

Out of the 11, why (please explain) are we not running the ball on a quick hitter straight up the middle when opponents have 6 on the line? Snap the ball and bang. From the same set, why don't we repeatedly hit them with quick slants (6 on the line screams quick snap and slant). Finally, mix in some play action and make them pay over the top. They have committed and have no cushion over the top. We run 3 WR sets on nearly every play, that leaves 1 double coverage on 3 deep routes?

NoCoNite

ILoveGoffBalls
Name
ILoveGoffBalls
Well said.
Yes, we clearly have OL issues, but Goff is mightily struggling to adapt to what the defense is giving him. Opposing teams have found the chink in Goffs armour and they are pinning their ears back. Until Goff starts dishing out consequences for their actions, we are gonna see a lot more of the same. He also needs to stop deciding where the ball will go before the ball is snapped, and see the field better - there are too many open receivers not getting the ball.

I get that people will stand up for our QB, and disapprove of the criticism, but the reality of the situation is, that when you sign for $134 million, you WILL come under a a lot more scrutiny. Especially when you have become a turnover machine in the last 12 games or so.

Exactly, ppl always wonder why Brady always has such a good oline. It’s not the oline completely, he’s reading the defense and getting the ball out in less than 3 seconds.
Goff has a hell of an arm, and puts it in windows that most QBs can’t. But that’s when he’s concentrating on hitting the receiver. When he feels pressure you see him missing wide open touchdowns compared to the corner end zone passes through 2 corner backs last year.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I was toying with, why not try moving Noteboom to RT this year, and Havenstein to G. I don’t think Noteboom is a guard, but he is is one of our best 5.
Actually the key is having the same 5 guys play their present position together and gel together by NOT moving them around.

And Havenstein is not a guard.
He is a right tackle only who's had to face a couple of good speed rushers this year and some good defensive lines in general.

Most good offensive lines are built with repetition.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It’s Goff’s fault they are not opening up running lanes and keeping the pocket clean? This is one of the best sledging Goff posts I have read ever, for pure entertainment

I think you are wrong. Defenses are making last second adjustments thus putting the responsibility to audible on Goff. He didn't to do much of that last year and I think it's not coming naturally right now. It's not his fault. He likely will get better at it. But it affects the entire Oline. You see the rushed adjustments and sometimes confusion among linemen and it results in missed assignments.

I wish Goff would run a little more. Not like Lamar Jackson, but like Aaron Rodgers does. It gives defenses more to worry about. Right now they don't seem too concerned with him running.