Hekker to be released

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
And maybe a better punter

Given his stats last year, hoping for a better punter is highly speculative bordering on unrealistic optimism.

I mean, who are we getting? One of the other 3 guys who finished with better numbers. Probably not.

Hekker was 4th in net yards with the highest fair catch % of 49. Second was 42% then a bunch in the 30s.

Nope. I don't like it. I do not like it one bit.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Thanks for the memories Hek.

I got to see him play in high school so always a special connection besides being a great Ram.

Really glad they kept him and he got a ring.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Hekker is the best punter in Ram history as I think back over the years first in 1973 with Dave Chapple, then through the years drafting the likes of Dale Hatcher and having Sean Landeta, not once, but twice. Hekker first year wit the Rams was 2012 and the punter before him was Donnie Jones.

I remember the Punters still on the board, but I also remember Jeff Fisher saying that special teams coach John Fassel had someone lined up as an UDRFA for being the Punter and that guy was Johnny Hekker out of Oregon State.

For a new statistic called punting average efficiency, you take the kicker's punting average in yards and subtract from it the average distance his punts have been returned. That being measured in theory is the height of the kick and the difficulty in running it back.

Dave Chappel, the fine rookie punter of the Rams, is the National Conference leader with an efficiency figure of 43.5 yards. His kick average is 46.2 yards, the returns from these kicks only 2.7.

View attachment 52967
Who? Is he on the roster?

MachS

Hall of Fame
Hekker outplayed Bojorquez in 2021. Hekker was #4 in net punting average. Bojorquez was #18. Despite attempting two fewer punts, Hekker killed more punts in the 20, had fewer touchbacks, and allowed 200 fewer return yards (and 6 fewer yards per return).
Yea after a very bad 2020 he bounced back with a great year in 2021. Hope we have a plan to replace him with a quality guy, special teams can get neglected by teams at times and having a strong P/K tandem is important.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Don't get it. What will the rams save after they add a new punter? Maybe a mil. A little more? Our special teams was kicking ass last year and now we're dumping the punter with the 4th best net? We saw how things went for green Bay and now we're rolling the dice. Hekker isn't just a great punter, he's a calm and confident presence on the field. I hate to say it but I think this is coming back to bite us .
Every mill matters at this point. Its why I could see Rapp and his $2M contract moved. I still think a surprise trade could happen. Like Higbee, to save $5M and move forward with Hopkins & Blanton, and maybe Mundt stays. All together would be less than Higbee.

They will try to maximize the roster by adding where its weak and maybe shave off some $$ where they have some depth.

Turducken

Starter
Couldn't have put this better.

I just wonder if they worked hard enough to tweak his contract to change the calculus of the football decision. Or maybe there is still some resentment over that fake punt that chased Bones out the door?

In any event, I sort of understand, but I know there are worse things than having a top 5 punter whose best attribute is accuracy and pinning teams deep.
They tweaked his contract 6 mos ago. About the only way he comes back is if no one signs him at veteran minimum ($1.075). Then maybe he suits up for a few dollars more than his $1.1m dead cap hit?

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Every mill matters at this point. Its why I could see Rapp and his $2M contract moved. I still think a surprise trade could happen. Like Higbee, to save $5M and move forward with Hopkins & Blanton, and maybe Mundt stays. All together would be less than Higbee.

They will try to maximize the roster by adding where its weak and maybe shave off some $$ where they have some depth.
I'd rather keep hekker than rapp.

TK42-RAM

... still not at my post.
La Rams Football GIF by Los Angeles Rams

Great Ram !

Thanks for the memories Johnny !!!

Super Bowl Champion Punter !!!!!

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Thanks for the memories, Hekk! I’m sad to see you go; there may not be another Ram who likes Pokémon as much as you, and you were one of the best punters ever.

Best of luck with your next chapter of your football career.

swmizzou83

Starter
Ya I don't like it. He's one of those guys that it will really hurt to see in a other uniform. Save money elsewhere. He had a great season this year. Is the likely downgrade worth the savings?

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gonna miss ya hekk … dude was the man don’t care what anyone says … sad to see him go